X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laurentius
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

No, you don`t need to insulate under the vent area. When we have typhoon season, water is driven into my landing and wick under my hearth and after I bitch and moan, I light a fire, dry it out and cook something.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Because insulation is not about waterproofing. Since you don`t live in the rain forest, rain is just a minor inconvenience, but every time you fire your oven without insulation heat will be wicked into you support slab, which cost you both money and time.

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Would love to see some pictures of your drip pan. Mine was a after thought, would have worked better as you described. I still think it will serve the purpose.

I used a 3m fire barrier sealant caulk. not sure what the temperature rating is but sure held up to the weather and the heat on my temporary chimney cover vent. The other caulks I used I was not happy with. it seemed to be the best option at the time.

My heat break is a combination of insulating fire brick stainless steel tube and ceramic fiber rope, band and koalwool caulking.
    Kbartman here is a picture of my pans design. What are you using for your vent floor? What is going to be under your finished top vent floor surface? Are you insulating under that floor? Do we need to insulate the vent floor? I came up with the flashing pan so my insulation under the dome would not wick water, so why would we put insulation under the area that has the greatest chance of getting wet?

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Hi KB has been a while.

That looks great an amazing build and all but finished. Think I have a ways to go yet.

Rest for you not far away.
    Thanks Colin. You will get there....Rome was not built in a day.

I was able to get the tile back splash completed this week and the grouting done, post pictures later.

The daughter's graduation party went well, every one loved the WFO.

PS Campmaki, temporary chimney cover picture that I used the caulking on.
    Last edited by kbartman; 06-11-2014, 06:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
    Kbartman, I was thinking on the same lines with the flashing. I had a stainless pan, 3 sided, made up. It has 3 inch legs turned upward.But what I did different right or wrong is I had the pan made 9 inches wider than the vent width. So the pan is to the outside of the vent brick. First I mixed up some sand and portland cement, a little on the rich side. I troweled this from the front of the oven entry towards the outside of the vent. I did this too get "positive" pitch out of the vent. Then I simply set pan into the grout and tapped it in place, fastened with a couple lead drives at the outside corners to prevent movement of the pan. Next I cut the vent brick on each side wall to get back to level. I would say in the 16 inch depth of my vent, I have at least a 1/2 inch of pitch. Now I am trying to decide my next choice. I would like to put 1 3/16 thick granite in the vent and firebrick rips under the granite. Hence no insulation in the vent area. Give me your thoughts, What type of caulking did you use in the vent area? Is it fire caulk, what temp does it burn? What did you do with the thermal break joint? Thanks Wayne , alias Campmaki
    Would love to see some pictures of your drip pan. Mine was a after thought, would have worked better as you described. I still think it will serve the purpose.

I used a 3m fire barrier sealant caulk. not sure what the temperature rating is but sure held up to the weather and the heat on my temporary chimney cover vent. The other caulks I used I was not happy with. it seemed to be the best option at the time.

My heat break is a combination of insulating fire brick stainless steel tube and ceramic fiber rope, band and koalwool caulking.
    Last edited by kbartman; 06-10-2014, 07:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Good luck with that Colin. At least you have a plan. A plan is good.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi KB has been a while.

That looks great an amazing build and all but finished. Think I have a ways to go yet.

Rest for you not far away.

I still have

Keystone in decorative arch, more fun and time than anything else.
    finish dome render
    render base
    sliding draw in base for tools
    sealing coat over dome
    make door if I learn TIG welding [have no idea and in practice have made some bloody big holes

some detail items

then I get stuck into the area either side and behind oven.

then rest of yard

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

Thanks, Beehiver I borrowed your design for a tapering and bevel jig. I made one small improvement, hope you don't mind. I added a vertical adjustment. Recess cut to allow for zero adjustment. Wing nuts for quick adjustments and setup. Marine varnished hopefully the wood does'nt swell......Time to build......just do it.......Hope works out for me.
    I patterned my jig right off your build, worked beautifully. Thanks KBM

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

Finally, I got the counter tops completed, took me forever.

I had to complete the flashing under the vent area floor before I could set the center top. I think it should channel any driving rain from entering the insulation beneath the vent area floor. The flashing allows the water to be channel underneath the countertop and drain away from the insulation.

Still lots to do:
    Build cabinet doors. The cedar you see on the sides are only temporary. scraps from my buddies' kitchen remodel

Tile back splash, still looking for ideas on tile choices, suggestions appreciated.

Finish chimney extension and touch up painting.

Build oven doors for holding heat and different type of smoking and cooking.

Add flood lighting above oven on screen enclousure.

The list goes on and on
    Kbartman, I was thinking on the same lines with the flashing. I had a stainless pan, 3 sided, made up. It has 3 inch legs turned upward.But what I did different right or wrong is I had the pan made 9 inches wider than the vent width. So the pan is to the outside of the vent brick. First I mixed up some sand and portland cement, a little on the rich side. I troweled this from the front of the oven entry towards the outside of the vent. I did this too get "positive" pitch out of the vent. Then I simply set pan into the grout and tapped it in place, fastened with a couple lead drives at the outside corners to prevent movement of the pan. Next I cut the vent brick on each side wall to get back to level. I would say in the 16 inch depth of my vent, I have at least a 1/2 inch of pitch. Now I am trying to decide my next choice. I would like to put 1 3/16 thick granite in the vent and firebrick rips under the granite. Hence no insulation in the vent area. Give me your thoughts, What type of caulking did you use in the vent area? Is it fire caulk, what temp does it burn? What did you do with the thermal break joint? Thanks Wayne , alias Campmaki

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Looks great, you did a pro looking job with the undermounted sink too.
    Originally posted by hodgey1 View Post
    Bartman, you've done a beautiful job!
    Thanks guys,

It's going on about a year and a half of my free time...........I think it's time to sit back relax and enjoy ..............for awhile.

Daughter's High school Graduation party on Saturday. I would like to have had my cabinet doors installed by then, but don't think I'll meet the dead line.
    It will be a day of celebration, as she is the youngest of my three children.
    Looking forward to having a great time.
    Last edited by kbartman; 06-03-2014, 08:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

Bartman, you've done a beautiful job!

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Looks great, you did a pro looking job with the undermounted sink too.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Finally, I got the counter tops completed, took me forever.

I had to complete the flashing under the vent area floor before I could set the center top. I think it should channel any driving rain from entering the insulation beneath the vent area floor. The flashing allows the water to be channel underneath the countertop and drain away from the insulation.

Still lots to do:
    Build cabinet doors. The cedar you see on the sides are only temporary. scraps from my buddies' kitchen remodel

Tile back splash, still looking for ideas on tile choices, suggestions appreciated.

Finish chimney extension and touch up painting.

Build oven doors for holding heat and different type of smoking and cooking.

Add flood lighting above oven on screen enclousure.

The list goes on and on
    Last edited by kbartman; 05-27-2014, 07:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I purchase 511 Impregnator Sealer from home depot.....I think it will do the same job. What do you think? Its got A 20 year guaranteed made by the same manufacture?
    That's what I use for almost everything. Very good sealer.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Just order the sealer if that's the route you are taking. Did you check to see if the the grout is exterior rated? I've experimented with non sanded grout before. It works ok, but it does shrink a lot, so you will probably end up doing another application to completely fill all the holes. Essentially, grout and thinset are Portland cement with modifiers in it.
    I purchased 511 Impregnator Sealer from home depot.....I think it will do the same job. What do you think? Its got A 20 year guaranteed made by the same manufacture?

Luckily the grout is interior exterior. Good point something I did not consider.
    Grout pretty much cured and no shrinkage.............yippy I think I'm good to go. Wish me luck on the grinding and polishing
    Last edited by kbartman; 05-23-2014, 04:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X