X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Just order the sealer if that's the route you are taking. Did you check to see if the the grout is exterior rated? I've experimented with non sanded grout before. It works ok, but it does shrink a lot, so you will probably end up doing another application to completely fill all the holes. Essentially, grout and thinset are Portland cement with modifiers in it.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Bung holes filled and been curing since Monday, regrinding and polishing starts tomorrow.
    My trip to Lowes turned up no acrylic admixture or solution. I used Quikrete a bonding agent. The ingredient was a acrylic fortifier and the direction said 2:1 with Portland cement for slurry mixture............ I decided to use a Portland non sanded grout with the fortifier and a little colorant......I felt the grout was a better option then just Portland cement (I have always had success with grouting). I hope I made a good choice, but time was ticking towards my next Saturday deadline.......... The bung wholes filled nicely and as the grout began to stiffen, I floated the larger bung wholes with it and filled them completely. I did a test grind the next day, alls seems well. I hope the grout will stay in place.

No luck finding the Miracle 511 porous plus yet, although home depot sells their product it was not listed on the website. I hope I can find it or something similar locally. I don't have any time to wait to for something to be shipped.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Yes I bought some of that awhile back for my pizza peel and cutting boards on your recommendation, works great on them........... Relatively covered?................ Counters will get rained on almost everyday during our rainy season which begins soon........The screen enclosure may provide a little sun protection at best...........You still think that's enough?.............. I like the idea, sure will be easy enough to apply.
    My bad! from the pics I was thinking it was glassed in, now I realize it's screened in!

It beads off the water pretty well. You will need to reapply every couple months - but as you say, it's easy - and it's also cheap, and definitely food safe.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I'm trying to wrap my head around this slurry mix. I tried sifting out the sand on my counter top mix.......That's a no go.................... I have stucco cement, colorant and the bonding agent I used before applying my stucco, all on hand. ..........The bonding agent is a Vinyl Acetate polymer. I mixed up a test and applied to my test pour, it will fills the holes nicely. Not sure this will work and if I used proper proportions........I don't want to muck this up...............Heading to Lowes for some better ideas. Maybe find some of the ingredients you are all talking about..............Deadline looming

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

For a sealer I would recommend Miracle 511 porous plus...especially since you have a tight deadline. Butcher oil is very nice, but I save that for soapstone. After the sealer dries then apply the bees wax...that is the sacrificial layer, and should be reapplied often.

Something to keep in mind for any sealed surface. It does not 'stain proof' the material, but allows more time to remove stuff off the counter before it does stain.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

No sand in the slurry...and you do want acrylic admixture, not water, or it will shrink too much. Most acrylics sold are only 20-40 % solids...if you had a pour with a lot of voids I would steer you towards a specialized product, which has 50% or more.

I'd like to swing by, but I don't think we will get the chance. If something changes I'll shoot you a pm.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I use Butcher block conditioner from home depot, works great to seal the counters. It is a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. Since your oven is relatively covered, it should be all you need.

Howard Butcher Block Conditioner 12 oz-BBC012 at The Home Depot
    Yes I bought some of that awhile back for my pizza peel and cutting boards on your recommendation, works great on them........... Relatively covered?................ Counters will get rained on almost everyday during our rainy season which begins soon........The screen enclosure may provide a little sun protection at best...........You still think that's enough?.............. I like the idea, sure will be easy enough to apply.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I use Butcher block conditioner from home depot, works great to seal the counters. It is a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. Since your oven is relatively covered, it should be all you need.

Howard Butcher Block Conditioner 12 oz-BBC012 at The Home Depot

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Those look very good. I used cement and color for slurry. No sand. I also used latex additive instead of water, for adhesion - but I am not sure it's necessary.
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    I did a repair for spalling rather than just bug holes so my repair was more extensive than normal. I let it set for a week plus but that was based more on my time schedule than anything. I started at 100, 200, 300 and then 400 grit. No water in my slurry but an acrylic solution that came with the repair cement.
    Thanks Dee,
    Latex additive. I have some left over bolding agent. Think that might work?

I don't have a week to wait, counters need to be installed next weekend. Do you all have any suggestions on a food safe sealer I can get my hands on quick?.......... I'm considering a matted finish, I think a polished finish would clash with rest of the oven.

Thanks again all for your help

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

I did a repair for spalling rather than just bug holes so my repair was more extensive than normal. I let it set for a week plus but that was based more on my time schedule than anything. I started at 100, 200, 300 and then 400 grit. No water in my slurry but an acrylic solution that came with the repair cement.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Those look very good. I used cement and color for slurry. No sand. I also used latex additive instead of water, for adhesion - but I am not sure it's necessary.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    They came out great KB, you should be proud of those. As to the slurry mix, it depends what your after.

If those were mine, I think I'd slurry that with white Portland....mainly because I like contrasting colors on counters. I even think a blue would look great too.

I forgot to ask...maybe you mentioned earlier..were are you in Fla? We are in Miami until tomorrow, then heading to Sarasota for a few days, then up to the
    Orlando area.
    Thanks Stonecutter,
    I have some white Portland cement left over. Should I add any sand to the mix or just plain cement? Some of the bung hole are quite deep.

Central Florida, you will be coming right close to me on your way to Orlando. Your welcome to swing bye and take a closer look at the WFO. Send me a PM I'll give you my number and you can give me a call and let me know when you might be coming through.

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Turned out nice, the bug holes can be filled with a slurry and colorant and your will never notice them after the polish. I just repolished my counters after mucking up the finish when I install stucco on my dome and filled some of the winter damage with an acrylic enhanced cement repair material with some colorant from the original pour.
    Thanks Utah,
    How soon do you regrind, polish and what grit should be used after applying the slurry mix?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Turned out nice, the bug holes can be filled with a slurry and colorant and your will never notice them after the polish. I just repolished my counters after mucking up the finish when I install stucco on my dome and filled some of the winter damage with an acrylic enhanced cement repair material with some colorant from the original pour.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Curing coming along nicely............I removed the casts from their forms............Got some nasty bung holes to fill.........bummer , I hope I'm able to fill then and match the color. .......Not sure what to fill them with. I'm thinking I need to screen out some of the aggregate from the countertop mix and a little colorant................ When and how long should I wait before grinding and polishing?
    They came out great KB, you should be proud of those. As to the slurry mix, it depends what your after.

If those were mine, I think I'd slurry that with white Portland....mainly because I like contrasting colors on counters. I even think a blue would look great too.

I forgot to ask...maybe you mentioned earlier..were are you in Fla? We are in Miami until tomorrow, then heading to Sarasota for a few days, then up to the
    Orlando area.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Curing coming along nicely............I removed the casts from their forms............Got some nasty bung holes to fill.........bummer , I hope I'm able to fill then and match the color. .......Not sure what to fill them with. I'm thinking I need to screen out some of the aggregate from the countertop mix and a little colorant................ When and how long should I wait before grinding and polishing?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X