X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

This being all strictly aesthetic opinions, and you did ask, so.....

If you are trying to stay true to an overall feel and design continuity , then ditch the metal. IMO, a big black box is going to detract from the final finish.

To me, the finish of your oven begs for a real chimney pot, and not a clay flue liner 'pot'.

Here are a couple of sources - http://www.claychimneypots.com/catalog.php

http://www.claychimneypots.com/catalog.php

Personally, I like the Mediterranean for your oven, though I would apply a gloss enhancing sealer to make it look glazed. Chimney Pot Shoppe

They are not cheap, but a good chimney pot should last a lifetime.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 03-08-2014, 07:55 AM. Reason: info

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Wrap the SS Flue in 1/2 inch ceramic blanket, Wrap the shape in expanded wire, then cement tile backer board and cover with your tile. You will also need to fabricate flashing for just under the screened cap to keep water out from behind the tile. I would also find some corner tiles to match your flat tiles to give the corners a nice finish. Make sure you use SS screws or pop rivets to hold it together,

It might look real nice. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Ok guys I need some help deciding.

The low profile look is not going to be a option. I diffidently want the smoke and heat as far from the patio as possible. So I have come up with two options:

Plan A:
    Use the original stainless chimney extension.

Plan B:
    Fabricate a inexpensive chimney pot out of the clay flue liner.

I don't like all the shiny stainless. I think it detracts from the oven. I thought the clay pot would blend in better, But after placing it I don't think it would work, the profile looks kind of funny. The decorative tile you see is being considered as part the back splash. It has some silver in it and may help tie in the big shiny thing. I thought about attaching it to both plans, but not sure how I can attach it to the stainless.

What do you all think? Do you have any comments or suggestions that may help?

Ps:
    Or plan C paint the shiny thing high heat black to match the lights and future cabinet door hardware???
    Last edited by kbartman; 03-15-2014, 06:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

4-arch club, sounds like a good idea, although I don't think I would qualify.... There is a fifth on the back side. I hope I'm not labeled copy cat, just inspired by your build. I will accept your nomination to the club if the offer still stands.
    Nominated and unanimously accepted!

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Thanks all, for the compliments and support, I could not have made it with out you aaall's help...... My Darn Yankee accent is showing ......opps

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    Very nice, KB! We should start a 4-arch club!

Neil
    4-arch club, sounds like a good idea, although I don't think I would qualify.... There is a fifth on the back side. I hope I'm not labeled copy cat, just inspired by your build. I will accept your nomination to the club if the offer still stands.

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I think a handmade terra cotta tile would look great on that...or a Noce unfilled tumbled travertine.
    Yes, terra cotta we like what your thinking, Thanks

Originally posted by david s View Post
    A good paint job is my only hope. I used this high temp caulk for the heat break. seems to be holding up well.Kaowool Caulk Details
    Has it gone hard or is it still flexible?
    I can still indent it with my finger nail. I think Dee used it on his build and told me about it. I wonder how his is holding up.

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    how are you keeping your inner entry arch bricks from going black on the outside. I notice the inside has carbon deposits and the flue appears that way too. But the outside if the inner entry arch???????
    I'm not, they get black as well as the flue. I was using a wet sponge to clean up some stucco and noticed that the carbon deposits on to the vent area floor that had fell from the flue while working on the chimney cap. I thought what a mess, so I took the wet sponge, wipe them up from the floor. Seeing the mess on the inner arch bricks, my anal retentiveness kicked in, and the carbon wipe right off and easily rinsed out of the sponge. I have too add I do get some clearing on the upper inner arch when oven up to temp. I think that is evidence that my thermal break is doing its job. I'm so glad a I was inspired by the other builds to make the effort to incorporate them.... Thanks again all
    Last edited by kbartman; 03-15-2014, 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling etc...

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

how are you keeping your inner entry arch bricks from going black on the outside. I notice the inside has carbon deposits and the flue appears that way too. But the outside if the inner entry arch???????

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Congratulations. That is quite a project and I am sure that whatever you decide to finish it with will be as tastefully done as the rest of the job. An aspirational and inspirational build!

I hope it brings many memorable gatherings.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

In a word exemplary, in another amazing, oh what the he'll, WOW

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Re: tools and techniques

A good paint job is my only hope. I used this high temp caulk for the heat break. seems to be holding up well.Kaowool Caulk Details
    [/QUOTE]

Has it gone hard or is it still flexible?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day KB
    Congrats.... Very nice result !!!!

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I think a handmade terra cotta tile would look great on that...or a Noce unfilled tumbled travertine.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Very nice, KB! We should start a 4-arch club!

Neil

Leave a comment:

• kanoer54
    replied

Bartman,
    Very nicely done. Your build certainly adds a focal point to your caged pool area. You still have lots of room for parties and guests.
    jon

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Painting of patio and oven almost complete.......After the countertops are placed, the wife and I will decide on the backsplash tile. I'm not sure how the colors for the counter will turn out so we will have to wait...... I have not put on the chimney extension yet, I was hoping I could get away from using it, I really like the lower profile. Although the screen is flame resistant I want more clearance.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied
    Re: tools and techniques

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

Of course if you do take that long you better start cutting solid voussoirs for your arches now. The forum might let you slide on all the relief work though.
    Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
    All chaulking in an oven is covered but you never know when it might show, just some pointers
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    KB,

I made a hyperlink to a dozen or so concrete counter threads done on the forum. It will give you some ideas. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...ers-18388.html
    None of the caulks I've tried, and I've tried quite few, remain elastic at anything exceeding 350 C. They all go brittle or burn. Can you suggest a brand that works?
    Thanks guys for all the good advice.

Solid voussoirs, good point. I was impatient and choose to not cut them after cutting all those fire brick. With my cut to fit approach I must have made well over 2000 cuts on the fire brick for the dome and inner and outer arches After finishing the decorative oven arch. I thought I was ok with the out come. I did not want to tear it down and move backwards, the teardown would have destroyed more than just the arch. Looking back I kind of wish I would have cut them. I still think it turned out nicely. Maybe not by a Roman stonecutter's perception . Thanks for you rsupport I value your opinion.

As for chaulk, caulk , wahtever We all make mistakes. Backer rod very good point I wish I would have learned this a little earlier In my build. Thanks for the insight. I hope all my caulking holds up as it is all covered up now. A good paint job is my only hope. I used this high temp caulk for the heat break. seems to be holding up well.Kaowool Caulk Details

As far as my counters go it will be a while. I need to finish the painting, close up the screen enclosure, Pressure wash and paint the whole patio area and replace all the furniture. Thanks Utah, for the info and all the links. makes it much easier to sift thru. This sight also has a lot of good info maybe you can include links like these on your countertop thread. Concrete Countertops - How to, Cost and More - The Concrete Network

Thanks all time to get to work.
    Last edited by kbartman; 03-03-2014, 09:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X