X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kbartman
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Well I was hoping to get her dried in. Oh well, at least I think I'm finished with the curing. Dome top read over range on my IR thermometer with top thermocouple reading in the 950F range. I poured the coals to her at the end of the evening. Today dome holding steady 650F saturated temp, fire out..

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2627.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	297893

Name:	DSCN2634.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	297890

Name:	DSCN2635.JPG
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	297891

Name:	DSCN2636.JPG
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	297892
    Last edited by kbartman; 10-16-2013, 10:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Do you not see it?
    I see it, I was hoping you were going to post the cartoon character, maybe I can use it as a new avatar.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Been looking for a picture of the Pixar's scared guy, please post pic........
    Do you not see it?

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Thanks Guys,
    More screws for the felt, I'm running out of places to put them I figure a washer would help. I hope I will still have room for screws on the metal lath..........I found my first heat induce crack today. I should have started with charcoal. The kindling fire for the bed of coals was very hot quickly. I thought it could handle it. The crack is maybe 1/32" or more. I tried to photograph, it did not show up. Oh well it's official all domes crack at least mine. I'm sure there are many more under the insulation. The oven is starting to clear now, crack is smaller maybe 1/64". It is on the inner arch. Should have started with charcoal.

I was able to finish the insulating and get the trusses mostly complete today. Completed thermowell for enclosure temp... I have 5" inches of fiber blanket surrounding the upper portion of the dome 3" the lower. I used the rest of my vermiculite at the bottom of wall enclosure then finished with fiberfrax loose insulation up past the additional 2'' of blanket on the upper portion....Hopefully get the roof dried in tomorrow.
    Last edited by kbartman; 10-14-2013, 08:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Been looking for a picture of the Pixar's scared guy, please post pic........ I hope it will blend nicely when the stucco and lights are complete
    It does, and will look even look greater! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished oven

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

kbart

Gonna have to use screws to attach to hardiboard. If you are worried about moisture at the penetration, smear some silicone on there. But the pressure of the screw should prevent moisture. Great job BTW.
    Texman

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

You have to change the way things look, pic 3 reminds me of a Pixar movie scared guy....
    Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
    Just imagine a roaring fire in its mouth, with the circles glowing day-glow green in the dark?
    Been looking for a picture of the Pixar's scared guy, please post pic........ I hope it will blend nicely when the stucco and lights are complete
    Last edited by kbartman; 10-14-2013, 05:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

You have to change the way things look, pic 3 reminds me of a Pixar movie scared guy....
    Just imagine a roaring fire in its mouth, with the circles glowing day-glow green in the dark?

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I had some dome clearing on the last fire. So far I have not seen any cracks. The last firing on Sunday the oven held heat all week 150F on Friday. I think I'm ready to pour the heat to her.

I installed a couple more thermowells on the opposite side of the others. I think I will add one more over the oven to monitor enclosure temp.

I hope to get the roof trusses done, finish insulating, and get the oven dried in this week. I have the next couple days off work.

I trying to get my mind around attaching the felt paper to the Hardieboard. I tried a hand stapling gun and 1/4" staples the shortest I could find. No luck just bent staples.... I was thinking a hammer type stapler may do the trick, or would it bend the staples also? Any suggestion before I spend the money for one?
    Last edited by kbartman; 10-13-2013, 03:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Nice job, now the fun begins.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Oks Guys,
    As tropical Storm Karen fizzled out in the Gulf Of Mexico, I was able to finish the outer decorative arch and continue on the curing process. I was shooting for the old rugged antique look, nothing fancy. I thought tapering the bricks would take away from that. I hope it will blend nicely with the existing stucco walls.

I'm Glad I took the time to incorporate the heat break like those whom have trodden before. The oven was still 575F this morning with minimal insulation and only a cement board door. With the dome nearing 800 F last night, the decorative arch was only slightly above ambient. I give credit to all those on this forum, Thanks
    Last edited by kbartman; 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    We live in the tropics and during the wet season the humidity is so high that mould on clothing in wardrobes is sometimes a problem. Porous refractory gets pretty wet even without any direct rain and the oven interior is also sometimes mouldy. Both the chimney cap and door are much bigger in area than a vent, so would expect more uptake of moisture through them than a small covered vent. The chimney cap can allow some moisture through and after heavy downpours with some sideways rain the tell tale sign of some soot on the floor bricks under the flue is evidence. Likewise driving rain around the entry will find some water ingress. The vent does a good job of removing the water and I've done it at least once every wet season for the past four years without creating any oven damage, so for us a vent is mandatory.Likewise a hole in the supporting slab to communicate with the underfloor insulation.

Sorry, should have added that our oven is an igloo style and exposed to the weather.
    I should also have mentioned that nearly all the rain for the year falls in the three months of the wet season (Jan Feb Mar). Apart from two showers about 2 mm each, we have not had any rain since April, so our conditions are ideal for most of the year for an oven exposed to the elements. Beautiful sunny days with temps typically between 20-30 C. 320 sunny days/ year with an av. 8.5 hrs sun/ day. In the crappy weather we now go skiing for two weeks in Japan, only a 7 hr flight north with one hour time difference and gorgeous dry powder.Tough life!
    Last edited by david s; 10-06-2013, 01:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

The joys of living on the high bank.

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied

those once in 100year floods are nothing to worry about

Leave a comment:

Working...