• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    The other train of thought would be a felt paper under the wire lath. This would create a secondary moisture barrier.
    ^^^
    This. Stucco is not a waterproof material. It absorbs water. It needs a moisture barrier. And that is the primary barrier. How it's worked for hundreds of years.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Progress has been slow to this point, hope to finish the curing fires this weekend. I also hope to get the outer decorative arch completed and start the stucco process soon.

I need some advice on stucco...............My thinking is that a igloo style enclosure, that the moisture barrier is achieved in the in the final stucco coats and paint that seals and keeps moisture out of the dome.

My thoughts are at this point is to stucco over wire lath directly in contact with the Hardie board and create the moisture barrier with the final coats of paint. With the stucco directly bonded to the Hardie Board, I'm thinking there would be less chance of cracking.

The other train of thought would be a felt paper under the wire lath. This would create a secondary moisture barrier. that would leave only the 1/2 " of stucco which I think could crack easily.

I'm no stucco expert and would like your opinions.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Thanks KB

Much appreciated will look into doing this.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    hi KB

Thanks for posting the photos of the thermocouples. I wasn't aware you made these yourself.

Any chance of some instructions of how to do this. I was thinking of buying some but if I can make myself why not........
    Colin,

I hope I answered your questions on how to build a thermocouple on the last post. If you still have questions feel free to ask away.

I still can't believe the deal Dee help me find on the PID controller. I will use it as my permanent temperature read out. IF anyone is interested and has questions on how to do that I will try to help as well.

Thanks again everyone for all your great idea's and help. There is no way I could have gotten this far on my build, without this forum.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

hi KB

Thanks for posting the photos of the thermocouples. I wasn't aware you made these yourself.

Any chance of some instructions of how to do this. I was thinking of buying some but if I can make myself why not........
    Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    KB - One last comment on the fan controller thingy.

PID controllers and Thermocouples can be had pretty cheaply at AMZN. $47 for this combo with the SS Relay. Amazon.com: IMAGE? 25A SSR-25DA Solid State Relay with Heat Sink+ Manual/ Auto-tuning PID Temperature Controller SNR: Home Improvement

I think if you combine that with a a couple of PC processor cooling fans (which should be able to take the heat at the door given what they are designed for) + a piece of steel for the door, and I think you're close to the parts you'd need.

But I don't mean to muck up your thread. I'll start a new one if I ever get going on the idea.

Hey Guys,

No worry about mucking up the thread, this discussion is all good here.

Dee,

Thanks for the great info. I just purchased that controller less the relay, heat sink and added a thermocouple that is better suited to install in my oven door for a grand total !!!!!!!!!!!! wait for it.....................$5.83 Let me say that again.......... $5.83.............................. I got free shipping and a $30 instant savings ..........

I didn't know amazon had such great deals. I can't thank you enough Dee.

Colin,
    I have access to scrap thermocouple extension wire, so my cost is just my time to twist the two extension wires together and tape. The only reason I used the fiberglass tape, was the extension wire I used was only good to about 480F. I figured taping them would keep the two PFA insulated wires from shorting together before the formed twisted measuring junction which makes the thermocouple. With the tubing I used as thermo wells , I can easily pull out and replace if they go bad. A 100ft spool of fiberglass insulated wire rated at about 890F would be better suited not have to be taped, allow for multiple configurations and locations for about 60 cent a foot. TC Direct for Temperature Sensing, Measurement and Control

Don't get me wrong the premade's are a great deal and would probably hold up better, But having a spool on hand allows one to customize and repair on a whim.

Tropical system over the Florida pizza, many inches of rain for the next few days. Curing brought to a stand still and oven cooled in fears of a leaking temporary enclosure..........Bummer......Always safer then sorry.
    Last edited by kbartman; 09-24-2013, 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I think they only cost $5 or $10 here. You guys are much closer to china, not sure why everything is so expensive

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

KB - One last comment on the fan controller thingy.

PID controllers and Thermocouples can be had pretty cheaply at AMZN. $47 for this combo with the SS Relay. Amazon.com: IMAGE? 25A SSR-25DA Solid State Relay with Heat Sink+ Manual/ Auto-tuning PID Temperature Controller SNR: Home Improvement

I think if you combine that with a a couple of PC processor cooling fans (which should be able to take the heat at the door given what they are designed for) + a piece of steel for the door, and I think you're close to the parts you'd need.

But I don't mean to muck up your thread. I'll start a new one if I ever get going on the idea.

Oh - and Russell - I did exactly the same thing to my Rancilio! but now we've upgraded to an Izzo Alex Duetto which is fantastic. But that's another topic for a whole 'nother thread.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

hi KB

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Ok Guys,

I began Day 5 with slowly bringing the temperature back while cooking some breakfast casserole. I closed the oven the night before with a few pieces of cement board. The top of the dome was still at 280F.

I think I'm lagging behind the regular curing schedule. I was shooting for 550F IR dome top temperature. I averaged more like 450F. Every time the dome spike above 550 I would move the wood around and douse the flames. I think I'm going to shoot for a IR temp of 600F tomorrow.

The IR reading fluctuated with the fire, the TC reading showed a steady climb thru out the day. I enjoyed my first WFO dinner, ending the day at 420F top TC

I decided make and to add a floor TC to the center bottom of floor brick, next to the insulation. I was surprised to find this the highest temperature after placing the fire directly on the oven floor. It showed a steady climb thru out the day, starting at 239F ending at 586F.

Colin ask me to show my homemade TC'S, attached some pictures.
    Last edited by kbartman; 09-21-2013, 08:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    DJ

Like you I put a PID on my Rancillo by Auber since it was already designed for my espresso machine. KB I am sure you can get the part nd design something less costly just if you electronic skills are greater than my pay rank.

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    I have a BBQ Guru controller with a 10 cfm fan for my large ceramic smoker. I'm not sure the fan will move enough air for a 40" oven. What do y'all think? I see they now offer a 25 cfm fan.
    I'm sure if your all interested we can come up with a workable design of some sort. I'm no electronics genius but have a working knowledge of instruments and controls.

I'm far from a controls engineer Kurt, but I was thinking that natural circulation wood feed the fire and if I wanted to slow that down I would just close a damper. I think any size fan would be beneficial and add to that circulation.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

I have a BBQ Guru controller with a 10 cfm fan for my large ceramic smoker. I'm not sure the fan will move enough air for a 40" oven. What do y'all think? I see they now offer a 25 cfm fan.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

DJ

Like you I put a PID on my Rancillo by Auber since it was already designed for my espresso machine. KB I am sure you can get the part nd design something less costly just if you electronic skills are greater than my pay rank.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

KB -
    My idea was two fans, in opposite directions - on/off only. I have worked with PID controllers only on modding my espresso machine. That one was on/off in quick bursts. I haven't seen variable-speed controller PIDs - though I imagine they exist. The idea is highly conceptual at this point - but I think the key is more or less forced air. I guess you could do it with a damper as well. Just needs some sort of motor (which the fan supplies in a nicely contained way)

This sort of kit (for a big green egg) , but home-made. This is the company I bought my espresso PID from and I figure I could piece something like this together myself
    Temperature Controller for Large Big Green Eggs [SYL-1615SYS-G] - $144.50 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

As to your wood question - Laurel and Yew are the two I know of that are supposed to be toxic. Not sure you even have either of them in FL.
    Cool,

I didn't know they made something for the green egg, bite pricey. I'm sure we can come up with a cheaper and better one.
    I was thinking of building a prototype door with manual dampers to see how well I can regulate temperature. although I haven't come up with a small contained actuator,the fans are sounding like a good option.

As to the wood question -I hope your not talking about Laurel Oak it is very common here in the.
    south. Anyway I came across this when doing a quick search of poisonous smoking woods Smoking Woods: Smoking Meat, Making Sausage, Making Cheese, Making Jerky, Brewing Beer, Canning, Dehydrating funny it even has your name . This isn't your site is it? It listed cedar as one., many dishes are cook and served on a cedar plank
    Last edited by kbartman; 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

KB -
    My idea was two fans, in opposite directions - on/off only. I have worked with PID controllers only on modding my espresso machine. That one was on/off in quick bursts. I haven't seen variable-speed controller PIDs - though I imagine they exist. The idea is highly conceptual at this point - but I think the key is more or less forced air. I guess you could do it with a damper as well. Just needs some sort of motor (which the fan supplies in a nicely contained way)

This sort of kit (for a big green egg) , but home-made. This is the company I bought my espresso PID from and I figure I could piece something like this together myself
    http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=187

As to your wood question - Laurel and Yew are the two I know of that are supposed to be toxic. Not sure you even have either of them in FL.
    Last edited by deejayoh; 09-20-2013, 09:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I have been mentally toying around with the idea of an inner door with a PID-controlled regulator/fan and two openings in order to use the oven as a smoker/slow cook BBQ. I am not sure it would work, but it would be cool to be able to maintain temps of 200 or so for long periods. Adding an outer door and a damper to that equation seems like it would make it a more complicated task.
    Dee,

Your idea with the PID controller regulator fan. Is the fan variable speed or just on off? I would think that a self closing damper on the fan might be necessary, maybe both openings. I was thinking of using the PID controller to open and close dampers and let natural draft take over to regulate oxygen to the fire to control the temperature. What are your thoughts?

I see a proto-type in our near future with a piece of cement board.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X