• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by kbartman View Post

Ok Guys,

I poured the insulating/buttressing concrete yesterday. I think I should be able to remove form boards today. How soon can I put a fire in her. I'm getting anxious.
    I would give the portland in the vcrete at least 7 days to cure before firing.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    KB,

That sure is looking nice. How far from the real kitchen is the oven?

And remember if you turn out a marginal pie..... you might get a dunk in the pool from the recipients for not being a pizza master.
    Thanks Chip,

The kitchen is across the pool in the house. Hopefully I can master the pie soon and avoid the dunk, I'm sure I will with everyone expert advice.

Originally posted by texman View Post
    just read through your thread. Nice Build. and well done. Congrats.
    Texman
    Thanks Texman,
    Coming from a master builder like yourself,that means a lot.

I like your outer decorative arch I hope to do something similar. I noticed that there is no over lap of the outer vent arch and you have no smoke stains outside of the oven. I was considering having a over lap to avoid stains. The draw of the chimney must be the key.

Hope to put a fire in her soon.

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    The fact that you loaded the arch and removed the centering without a hinge failure proves you have enough thickness in your arch without adding a buttress. For your span of 20"....3"-3.5" thickness on your arch is sufficient.

That said, you won't go wrong if...

There is wisdom in caution.
    Thanks Stonecutter,
    I really appreciated all your advice and wisdom.

Ok Guys,

I poured the insulating/buttressing concrete yesterday. I think I should be able to remove form boards today. How soon can I put a fire in her. I'm getting anxious.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

The fact that you loaded the arch and removed the centering without a hinge failure proves you have enough thickness in your arch without adding a buttress. For your span of 20"....3"-3.5" thickness on your arch is sufficient.

That said, you won't go wrong if...

...I'll error on the side of safety.....
    There is wisdom in caution.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 09-06-2013, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Read this page, then the whole site.

If you have to buttress a semi circle arch then surely you would have to buttress a semi circle dome too?
    Not necessarily....there are infinite variables which factor into whether buttressing is needed or not.

One thing for sure, it won't hurt anything if a buttress is included in the build..good insurance.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

just read through your thread. Nice Build. and well done. Congrats.
    Texman

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

KB,

That sure is looking nice. How far from the real kitchen is the oven?

And remember if you turn out a marginal pie..... you might get a dunk in the pool from the recipients for not being a pizza master.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

If you have to buttress a semi circle arch then surely you would have to buttress a semi circle dome too?
    Originally posted by jbruning View Post
    That page and site has a lot of interesting and helpful information.

I buttressed my entry arch somewhat because I figured it needed it but more so because of my rudimentary masonry skills and fear that it could be weak because I didn't know what I was doing.
    John,
    I agree very good article good info, a little above my pay grade and my rudimentary skills also. I'll error on the side of safety. Hope to pour some insulating concrete around the arch today.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

That page and site has a lot of interesting and helpful information. From my understanding of their description on that page they distinguish between a ?circular dome? and an individual arch by describing the additional circular force acting within the dome structure. While the dome cross section is essentially a semicircular arch, absent this circular force the stand alone arch is seemingly less stable and as Tscarborough mentioned above it should have some buttressing.

I buttressed my entry arch somewhat because I figured it needed it but more so because of my rudimentary masonry skills and fear that it could be weak because I didn't know what I was doing.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Ok Guys,
    There seams to be some differing opinions going around........One reason I try to error on the side of caution.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 09-01-2013, 11:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Looking good in. Still love your entry wide and very well built. Will look at your detail more when I get to this point. A way off at the moment.
    Thanks,
    Any questions let me know. Although I think there is a lot more experienced help here on the forum. I'll try to help ya anyway I can.

Hope your boy has a great bday.

Ok Guys,
    There seams to be some differing opinions going around........One reason I try to error on the side of caution.

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Didn't think that was necessary for a hemispheric arch.
    Brickie?

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Unless the material the arch is made of is strong enough in tension you need to. Even a hemispherical arch still has force vectors not in line with the legs.

I'm incorporating a four inch rebar reinforced block buttressing wall on each side of my hemispherical arch. At the base of the arch a 2 1\2" void separation between block buttress wall, this will get larger as the arch curves. I plan to fill this with a vermiculite insulating concrete.

I did not feel comfortable leaving my arch un buttressed.
    I think I should be able to sufficiently buttress my arch with the proper ratio mixed insulating concrete. I was thinking 6:1 vermiculite to Portland cement.

What are everones thoughts and suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Looking good in. Still love your entry wide and very well built. Will look at your detail more when I get to this point. A way off at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

The caulk at that location will be black soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Still slow going here. My temporary enclosure to facilitate firing of oven, adding insulation, building permanent enclosure and stuccoing chimney, has turn out to be a major project in it's self. The rainy season will soon be over, and the need for the temporary enclosure will be less.......Oh well I can take my time............ the end of August is here already.

I manage to finish the chimney penetration, finish my heat breaks and put some masonry fire clay home brew cladding on the dome. I used Koawool caulking to seal my heat breaks. The neutral white turn bright white after drying.......ouch. I wish I would have placed the fiber rope deeper into the recess and hid the caulking joint.....Oh well...........the joint is very firm and I agree with DJ and think it will hold up well..... I would have like to have used the safe stuff Utah used, but it was just too pricey at $43.85 each........Now that I think about it 23, bucks difference is nothing............

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Keep a close eye on those lights in your oven. I almost melted the rubber coating on the wire with mine. My oven smelled like burnt rubber for a day or so. As far as the removable tray, I only used it when I wanted to end my fire for the night and close my door to keep the heat in when using the coal. Very easy clean up. I used it as well when I was doing my curing fires with wood and for this, yes I did remove that pan a few times to control my heat. Turned out very useful.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

KB,

Very nice to see you incorporate a lot of the items we cut our teeth on. Should be firing soon. I agree with DJ that the Pompelli Plans could use some modernizing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X