• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Hi KB

Might wait for your dry stack to get a better idea. eg. will have complete arch on both sides.

To get the vent curve Sharkey has on his vent I was looking at reversing arch bricks, someone else did this but I cannot remember who that might have been.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    KB,
    I think that I see what you are designing. It will work fine if you slide the vent opening forward. In my opinion (with a heat-break) the arch needs to be completed front and back to be structurally sound.
    I may be a little off in my reasoning, so some "dry stacked pics" might help .
    Gulf,
    I'll try to post more dry stack later, the vent transition will have a complete arch on both sides. Moving the vent towards the rear allows the needed 4" for chimney wrap around flue.
    Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    thanks KB

perfectly clear. Wanted to know if rear of brick was rebated around inner arch. Did you follow the curve. How high before your glue transition and will you do it like sharkey did his.
    Colin,
    Yes the rear brick will be have a 1" inch overlap and a 1 1/2" into the reveal leaving a 3" reveal. There will be a 1/2" thermal gap which will be filled with fiber rope and sealer. I will have to look at sharkey's to see what he did. I did follow the curve.
    Last edited by kbartman; 06-30-2013, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

thanks KB

perfectly clear. Wanted to know if rear of brick was rebated around inner arch. Did you follow the curve. How high before your glue transition and will you do it like sharkey did his.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

KB,
    I think that I see what you are designing. It will work fine if you slide the vent opening forward. In my opinion (with a heat-break) the arch needs to be completed front and back to be structurally sound.
    I may be a little off in my reasoning, so some "dry stacked pics" might help .

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    What are the dimensions of the entry? Looks like about 22" wide and maybe 16" high. No guess as to how deep. Glad you are ahead of me in your build as I have learned a great deal following your thread. Bruce
    Hi KB

I am curious to how you are doing your arch. You said on my thread that you are doing yours straight but maximizing the reveal.

Can you describe yours maybe include measurements. How deep, then again I could wait for more pictures.

I was thinking if I don't flare mine of running mine around the inner arch with a gap between it and the outer structure.
    Ok guys these ain't no CAD drawings, although they are one step above a paper napkins. :

K79 is probably laughing is his boots right now .............. Hope this helps and you can make them out.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi KB

I am curious to how you are doing your arch. You said on my thread that you are doing yours straight but maximizing the reveal.

Can you describe yours maybe include measurements. How deep, then again I could wait for more pictures.

I was thinking if I don't flare mine of running mine around the inner arch with a gap between it and the outer structure.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

What are the dimensions of the entry? Looks like about 22" wide and maybe 16" high. No guess as to how deep. Glad you are ahead of me in your build as I have learned a great deal following your thread. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I got a little accomplished today.......I set the form, it took awhile the face of my inner arch was tilted so it made leveling and squaring difficult.

I also cut some brick and did some dry fitting. I'm beginning to realize the cost of my cut to fit approach, aka. "Geometry for dummies". I'm just wore out my fourth blade. I hope just one more at the $60 bucks a pop, although I should return my buddy his saw with a new one on it.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

KB

Nice dome, seems there are a few finishing presently. It looks great, nice tight fitting bricks.

Must ask where's the head in the oven photo. I'm told it is a ritual.

next photo posted must be the body in the oven shot.
    Thanks Colin,

This is purely ritualistic. I crawled back in , I didn?t get any pictures when setting the keystone and cleaning the inside of dome, I was scared then and only put one arm and head in. This time it?s official, both arms.

Finished the outer arch chimney support form today, and bought some insulating brick to set the arches on.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

KB

Nice dome, seems there are a few finishing presently. It looks great, nice tight fitting bricks.

Must ask where's the head in the oven photo. I'm told it is a ritual.

next photo posted must be the body in the oven shot.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Ummm....stone.
    I would like stone but I'm trying to keep cost down.

Today I'm building the forms for the chimney arches. I hope to make some much needed progress. August get together planned

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Ummm....stone.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Thanks Guys, Pulled the trigger on the IR gun already, more range more money....Got the Thermo Tech gun.

Planning outer arches, any suggestions?
    Last edited by kbartman; 06-24-2013, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

KB

On the IR thermometer, it may be too late now but I got one that goes to about 1250 degree Fahrenheit. When the dome is coming up to temperature I read about 1050 degrees at the top of the dome. But then it cools off to under 1,000

So you'll probably be fine with one that reads to 1,000 - but you might find the slightly higher temp one useful if you haven't bought it already

Neil

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Congratulations KB!!

It looks great!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X