This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official - Show off your tools.

Your pizza oven tools that is.... Lets see those scrapers, shovels, brushes and handy tools you like to use when using your WFO. Lets see watcha got.
    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Re: Official - Show off your tools.

Here are some that I have made and use. Note the stainless peel (my favourite) has sides that fit the perimeter of my 21" oven so I can move coals, a flat front, a point and a short handle which requires only one hand. Wooden peel from solid 19 mm pine.
    My favourite tool, not shown, is a length of 8mm stainless pipe used to clean the floor, poke the fire and maintain flame if it dies.
    Last edited by david s; 03-28-2013, 11:30 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Great start and contribution, thanks David.

Comment

I can see this thread going 200+ pages...good one V-wiz.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          Here are some that I have made and use. Note the stainless peel (my favourite) has sides that fit the perimeter of my 21" oven so I can move coals, a flat front, a point and a short handle which requires only one hand. Wooden peel from solid 19 mm pine.
          My favourite tool, not shown, is a length of 8mm stainless pipe used to clean the floor, poke the fire and maintain flame if it dies.
          David, I have a good friend that has an architectural iron company, sometimes they work with stainless steel. He has some sheet stock and offered to cut some so I could make a peel..shape? An oval! But after seeing yours, I like the angle on the end..I image that it gives you nice control when turning pies or getting into the edges of the oven. Do you find this true?
          I can't wait to make it..I have some nice oak for the handle that I need to cut down and shape.
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

My very first WFO tool........ A brand new wooded pizza peel (Birthday present compliments of mom and dad). Well made by Lillsun purchase from the FB site. I'm can't wait to put to use..........Need advice on caring for this tool seems like it would need to be seasoned with some type of oil or something........?????
            Respectfully,

KB

My build
            Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
              I can see this thread going 200+ pages...good one V-wiz.
              Lets hope so, it may have potential.

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                My very first WFO tool........ A brand new wooded pizza peel (Birthday present compliments of mom and dad). Well made by Lillsun purchase from the FB site. I'm can't wait to put to use..........Need advice on caring for this tool seems like it would need to be seasoned with some type of oil or something........?????
                Here is a cool link to came across..it has some good info about care for cutting boards, chopping blocks etc,..peels need the same care. Look for the sub-heading 'How To Season Cutting Boards' halfway down.

Cutting Boards, Chopping Blocks, Butcher Blocks, Cutting Board Oil, Butcher Block Oil, How To Purchase Cutting Boards, How To Season Cutting Boards, Wood vs plastic cutting boards
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I sanded down one of my peels and applied butcher block wax (same stuff I use on my concrete counters). I couldn't believe the difference for 10 mins of effort.
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                    David, I have a good friend that has an architectural iron company, sometimes they work with stainless steel. He has some sheet stock and offered to cut some so I could make a peel..shape? An oval! But after seeing yours, I like the angle on the end..I image that it gives you nice control when turning pies or getting into the edges of the oven. Do you find this true?
                    I can't wait to make it..I have some nice oak for the handle that I need to cut down and shape.
                    Yeah, I'm really happy with the design. Tried it first in 0.9mm and it was a bit bit floppy. Now do it in 1.2 mm and it's just right. You would have to convert to your antiquated imperial system. I also sharpen the leading edge so the peel will slip under fresh pizza dough easily, although we usually prep on wooden peels and use the stainless one for turning and removal.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                      I sanded down one of my peels and applied butcher block wax (same stuff I use on my concrete counters). I couldn't believe the difference for 10 mins of effort.
                      Doesn't the wax or oil melt and burn? Some of my wooden peels get a bit burnt on the bottom and I clean them up again with an orbital sander.

Comment

I have tried many different ones, but these are what it is down to:

Slotted for putting pizza in, small one for turning, solid one for taking pizza out and a tuned hoe for ash removal and log adjustment.

Comment

Yeah, I'm really happy with the design. Tried it first in 0.9mm and it was a bit bit floppy. Now do it in 1.2 mm and it's just right. You would have to convert to your antiquated imperial system.
                          That's when I really appreciate google.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                            I have tried many different ones, but these are what it is down to:

Slotted for putting pizza in, small one for turning, solid one for taking pizza out and a tuned hoe for ash removal and log adjustment.
                            I like to see tools with some ashes on them! gotta use em'

I prefer a wood peel to metal for putting pizza into the oven. Finally just ordered a long-handled one, after singeing the arm hairs with a shorty for the past year...
                            My build progress

Comment

Doesn't the wax or oil melt and burn? Some of my wooden peels get a bit burnt on the bottom and I clean them up again with an orbital sander.
                              no. It's a liquid wax, so it soaks in and you wipe off the excess. But my wood peels are in and out of the oven in a flash. No time to burn, just as long as it takes to get the pizza off. I never use them for turning or removal.
                              My build progress

Comment

Working...
                              X