• irelande5
    replied
    Re: Over Door Insulation

Thanks for the feed back folks appreciate it

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

The piece facing the oven is 14 g or 1.8mm and the rest a little lighter. The angle s 1.5. Due to the source I can not be 100% sure of those sizes but they are as near as damn is to swearing.

Leave a comment:

• fabby
    replied

What is the thickness of the aluminum you are using? thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Kevin - I used aluminium for the whole thing, rivets included. Found some good offcuts at the scrap metal yard and the whole thing came to less than $20 up to here.

Need to go back and grab some for a peel and some ash handling gear.

Cheers.........Steve

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Thanks for the encouraging feedback folks.

And thanks for the tip about attaching the handles Chip.

I was going to use some hardwood on the outside of the door. We have some here that handle heat better than most (yellow stringy bark and tallowwood). Good point about the contact points as well, I will make some modifications.

Soon be smelling something good coming out of this fiery beast!

Cheers...........Steve

Leave a comment:

• okn
    replied

Steve,

Nice looking door! Are you constructing it using aluminum or stainless? Are the rivets aluminum or something else?

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    This is the one I am making. I intend to stuff the cavity with ceramic fibre and then dress it up with timber on the outside. I scoured the threads and found a lot of different ideas but I am hoping that this will work.

The thing is ready to put together now and the last thing is a strip of metal that fits under the tabs on the top of the inner section and riveted in place after the insulation goes in.

Hope this is of use.

Regards...........Steve
    Steve,

Very nice looking door.

Mount your handles on the outer skin before putting the sandwich together, that way you will transfer less heat to the outside thru the handles. My outer wood skin on the door has actually chared next to thr handles and they go thru to the interior of the oven. You may also want to cut away some of the contact points to the inside panel to reduce some of the heat transfer.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 04-16-2013, 08:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Steve thats a clean door. Nice

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

This is the one I am making. I intend to stuff the cavity with ceramic fibre and then dress it up with timber on the outside. I scoured the threads and found a lot of different ideas but I am hoping that this will work.

The thing is ready to put together now and the last thing is a strip of metal that fits under the tabs on the top of the inner section and riveted in place after the insulation goes in.

Hope this is of use.

Regards...........Steve

Leave a comment:

• CoyoteVB
    replied

I put ceramic insulation between my metal door. Keeps heat in a bit but the medal conducts and the heat does transfers to the outer door.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Some have used vermicrete, vermiculite and concrete, with stainless steel or steel on the interior side of the door. You should be able to search on doors and pull up several. Others have used a hollow metal door structure with ceramic insulating blankets stuffed in the hollow.

The one big no-no is galvanized on the inside. The zinc will vaporize in high heat and these vapors are poisonous!!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    started a topic Over Door Insulation

Over Door Insulation

Howdy folks, looking to make an inner insulated door, I do not have enough cal sil board left over to sandwhich, would rather not buy another expensive piece for a door, wondering what options I have for materials for insulating inner door. Thanks, pat
Working...
X