X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GarnerAC
    replied
    Re: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Very well done! I love reading and seeing progress like yours. Im about to start my Dome and learned a few things from your thread. Impressive Mock-up!
    You should move down here to Texas where we have no (very little) snow and somewhat predictable rain!

Leave a comment:

• szv9n5
    replied

Like any project...the finishing is the worst part. We are motivated to get the dome done and start cooking....making it waterproof is no frills. But your looking great. Keep after it...these things are a lot more fun admiring them while eating the best pizza ever....

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
    Hello john can you tell me how many layers of blanket do you have on you oven
    Hi Gianluca,
    At least 4, a little more on top. I got a reasonable price and my experience with insulation in this cold climate is more is better as a general rule. I want to be able to get as much residual heat cooking as I can and plan to use it during the winter. However, I am not sure if I am going to use any vermiculite in addition to the blanket.

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

Hello john can you tell me how many layers of blanket do you have on you oven

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Originally posted by Cyungle View Post
    Beautiful work! Are you planning on replacing the temporary enclosure with something permanent when all work is completed or leave it uncovered? That is a question I have not answered about mine but I'm in Arizona where we don't get a lot of rain.
    Hi Cyungle,
    Thanks! The temporary is slowly becoming the permanent structure. I was really pressed for time and there was rain in the forecast so I had to get something up fast since I had to remove the plastic awning as I started to cure. So, I framed the walls but only had a couple of studs and still only have a few trusses installed. I have since added the remaining studs and framed the gables but actually have to take the roof off to complete the installation of the remaining trusses and frame the chimney chase. That will take some time and I have to wait until my schedule and a reasonable forecast align to do so. I hate 'undoing' work, but really didn't have any options at the time. As it was I got the tar paper on just before dark and it rained early the next morning so it was just in the nick of time.

I am not confident in being able to keep moisture out of the oven and insulation with an igloo enclosure and prefer the look of the 'house' so I had planned on this type all along.

Leave a comment:

• Cyungle
    replied

Beautiful work! Are you planning on replacing the temporary enclosure with something permanent when all work is completed or leave it uncovered? That is a question I have not answered about mine but I'm in Arizona where we don't get a lot of rain.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

One thing I did notice was associated with the sand/fireclay mix used to set the floor level. I had a couple of places where the CF board joints were a little wider than I would have liked and I "lost" some of the sand mix in the joints ( used it dry and screeded it for level). This material apparently provides a conduit for heat between the CF boards and in a couple of places I noticed when the oven was heated to or near 900 degrees the edges of the boards got hot enough to start burning the binders out of the boards which takes place at around 400 or 500 degrees. I just pushed some CF blanket into the vertical joints where this occurred, opened the joint slightly and pumped some of the CF caulk into the opening an inch or two. It worked fine and won't be a problem, but If I were to do it again I would 'seal' the joints of the CF board with the caulk before placing any leveling material.

I understood the boards had this binding material in them and that it was designed to burn off and I actually took off a corner of one of the boards before I placed them and burned it with a torch until the binders were gone. ....I was concerned about the physical properties of the board after this took place which would happen during normal oven use. The binders char and burn off and the board is more compressive after this occurs but this doesn't seem to be an issue given the practical experience of builders on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Oven in use.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Here are some photos of the oven an it's 'temporary enclosure'. I had to get something up to keep the rain off of it and have been slowly working on it since but it is still very open with a lot of work to do.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Haven't posted for a while but here are some older photos of the two cracks that developed. One of them let what appeared to be a very small amount of smoke out as evidenced by a small spot on the inside of the insulation. Certainly nothing to worry about, but I smeared a little moldable ceramic caulk over it just for peace of mind.
    Last edited by jbruning; 07-21-2013, 07:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Thanks Dennis!
    I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. I am really enjoying using the oven too, although I have a lot to do on the enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

That entry way design is pretty impressive. I remember twisting my head around design and I couldn't come up with anything as clever as that. The whole build is nice, really.

Great work, and congrats!

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Thanks Damon and Steve.
    I appreciate the comments. Everyone was anxious to plan the next pizza party and we are happy that they enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Way to go John. The first performance for friends is special and an ordinary pizza out of your own oven is more than equal to the best from anywhere else. I think that dough wrangling is a skill that comes with experience. I am still some ways from a buckle but happy with the fruits of the oven anyway.

Good to see that you made your deadline.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

John its great to get cooking........ and very rewarding. I think friends really appreciate your skills.....building and cooking at this point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X