X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Ive seen brickwork done on this forum by weekend warriors that would put some so called professionals to shame.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Thanks Steve and Damon. It really is great fun. I too, find it satisfying and somewhat relaxing. It is interesting how some bricks seem to plop right in but there have been a few that I had to remove, scrape the mortar and retry several times.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

John,
    apparently Winston Churchill laid bricks as a bit of a hobby.... he may not have been able to make a living out of it either but there are moments when you get "in the groove" when doing it and it's quite satisfying

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Join the club! But we can do quality work if we are left alone to do our thing. I have great respect for people who build big straight walls.

The dome is a smaller controlled environment. I found it a satisfying piece of work doing the slow, careful work on the dome. There is nothing shabby about your work. Some are green (like me) others are green with envy.

Enjoy the journey. Watching with interest.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

No pics today but I was able to finish the 8th course and got a few 'starter' bricks on course 9 done tonight. Gravity is creating more of a challenge now and will probably slow me down a little. One thing I am pretty certain of....I will never get a job where I am paid by the hour to lay bricks!

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Originally posted by fabby View Post
    That really is a nice build. I did snap headers and probably will do precision cuts on my next build, as they look really nice. It's a shame you have to cover that work up with insulation.

Have you started drooling for pizza yet? When I got that far, all I could think of was getting it finished and making some pies.
    Thanks Fabby!
    Well at least I (and you guys on the forum) will know what it looks like under the insulation! And yes, I am getting very anxious for pizza
    Last edited by jbruning; 06-10-2013, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fabby
    replied

That really is a nice build. I did snap headers and probably will do precision cuts on my next build, as they look really nice. It's a shame you have to cover that work up with insulation.

Have you started drooling for pizza yet? When I got that far, all I could think of was getting it finished and making some pies.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    Great job, John! You are working fast!

Neil

My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html
    Thanks Neil.

It is moving along well. However, after I started the stand last fall I sort of committed to an unrealistic completion date , so being unable to work on the oven outside, I basically built it dry in my workshop. I understood it was risky because every anomaly in construction could mess things up but I also knew that my spring/early summer schedule was so busy and that if I didn't get a lot of work done before hand there was no way to get it done in time. No doubt, the countless hours that I spent over the winter combined with actual construction time will far exceed the amount of time many builders put in when doing it once.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Originally posted by Calisdad View Post
    Nice work John.

When you back cut your arch bricks to accept the dome bricks were they the same or did you increase the angle toward the top?

thanks-
    C-dad
    Hi C-dad,
    Each brick was cut as I went up and the angle did increase somewhat.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Great job, John! You are working fast!

Neil

My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html

Leave a comment:

• eprante
    replied

Very nice work!! Excellent arch work, though I am partial to that since its what I did.
    Eric

Leave a comment:

• Calisdad
    replied

Nice work John.

When you back cut your arch bricks to accept the dome bricks were they the same or did you increase the angle toward the top?

thanks-
    C-dad

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Thanks Russell,
    I followed your build closely and learned a lot from you. I'm using a jig remarkably similar to yours!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Dome work looks very nice.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

This weekend I was able to complete a couple of courses and finish tying in the arch. It was a bit tricky cutting in over the arch, but not too bad. I was able to pretty much maintain a level course, and it is within a quarter inch of round. Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress so far.
    The overhead shot isn't quite wide enough to get everything in but I was reaching up as high as I could under the canopy with my phone to take the picture.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X