X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbruning
    replied
    Re: 42 inch Michigan Oven

I've been making steady progress. Here are some 'catch up' pics from last week.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Hi.
    It looks like from the pics that the arch is too far forwards, you will have trouble when you get to cutting in over the top of it, if it is....
    Hi Brickie,
    You've got a pretty good eye. I had sort of set up the arch dry a couple of days ago and I think it is a bit forward and it may pose some challenges, but from what I could tell it shouldn't be too bad (keeping in mind that having never laid a brick before my 'shouldn't be too bad' is probably on a whole different scale than yours )

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Hi.
    It looks like from the pics that the arch is too far forwards, you will have trouble when you get to cutting in over the top of it, if it is....

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

A few pics of last week's progress.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Originally posted by daddyd View Post
    Where did you get your insulation board?
    The top layer is from Forno Bravo, the remainder is from McGill's Warehouse. Both were ordered online. The products are pretty similar, but I think the board from McGill's is a bit less dense and it didn't seem as hard as the FB board. Many have successfully used the FB board so I put that on top to minimize the chance of compression issues with the softer (my opinion) board.

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

i just got it in i orderd it from Skyline Components, LLC. there in arizona i received it in 5 days ups i live in ct. $111.00 for shipping 4 -2" boards and 50 sq'roll of 1" thick blanket, a few other people recomended them the owner was really nice prompt shipping i would def recomend to a friend

Leave a comment:

• daddyd
    replied

Where did you get your insulation board?

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Hi Gianluca,
    I am by no means an expert on any of this but have learned a fair amount from others on the forum and my oven seems to be coming together ok. Regarding your questions:

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
    Are your walls on top of floor or cut to fit inside? On top of the floor.

what did you use under you ceramic board as a leveler?
    The boards sit on the concrete hearth, but I used a sand/fireclay mixture in a couple spots between the layers of board and on top beneath the floor bricks to correct some unevenness of the boards themselves. The bottom layer of insulation sat pretty well on the hearth so I didn't use any there. I did run a bead of silicone caulk around the base of the bottom insulation layer to help prevent the possibility of water migrating between the hearth and insulation.

Are you using cement wedges betweed bricks or cement only? So far only mortar - I am using Heatstop 50. I am using pieces of wood as temporary spacers at the outside edge of the bricks to help with the angle.

Looks awsome my stand is ready i am starting mine this coming weekend

Thanks! Looking forward to following your build!

also up to what row can you just cut angles and no bevels??
    I did not bevel the first course but have beveled the courses above. I built a jig similar to others but mostly like Utahbeehiver's shown in post 90 of his thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/f...tah-17761.html
    That post also mentions a spreadsheet which you might find helpful.
    Last edited by jbruning; 06-22-2013, 07:05 PM. Reason: correct post number for cutting jig

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

Are your walls on top of floor or cut to fit inside?
    what did you use under you ceramic board as a leveler?
    Are you using cement wedges betweed bricks or cement only?

Looks awsome my stand is ready i am starting mine this coming weekend

also up to what row can you just cut angles and no bevels??

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

I got the dome floor completed and the template and IT in place a few weeks ago and started to lay the bricks around May 20. Here are a few pics of the first couple of courses. The challenge of this project is enjoyable and it is amazing how much there is to learn when you have only 'virtual experience' from absorbing as much knowledge as possible from this site. Even so, there are plenty of opportunities (read mistakes) for learning as one works on the build. It is evident how clear hindsight is!

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Hearth insulation pics.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Thanks Gulf (and Brickie). I was probably a bit rushed as I hurried to get the stand done before freezing weather, though unless I had posted my plans before building the stand, I probably would have still not thought of the potential weakness. A monolithic pour was considered briefly but I wasn't sure what I wanted to end up with and for a variety of reasons, didn't have the time to thoroughly think through things.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Brickie is right as usual,
    Supporting the blocks until they are set would have been better. A monolithic pour over the wood storage gap would be even stronger. But, as many have suggested the original plans are over engineered, so you will be OK .

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

That is something I hadn't thought about. The slab ended up about 6 inches thick so there is about 4 inches above the angles. Hopefully it won't be an issue. Not having any experience with suspended concrete, I had hoped the steel would ensure plenty of support....novice thinking I suppose

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Nice build so far.
    I love looking at snow, from a very great distance.

Too late for your slab but for anyone else looking the angles actually create a weak spot as they form a straight line in the concrete much like a cut expansion joint.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X