Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

I've been a little remiss about posting photos. I am finally cooking in this thing, and having a great time. I've made pizza three times, baked bread once, cooked a chicken, and made a pot roast.

I decided to make my own oven tools. I have a wooden peel that I have been using in my electric oven for a long time, but I needed some other tools. I had some nice pieces of sheet metal that I had saved from the trash and it turned out to be perfect.

I ordered a little heavy on the insulation blanket so I decided to use 4 inches. I am going to build an enclosure. I was not planning on pouring loose insulation in my enclosure since I have 4 in of blanket. Should I fasten this insulation in place in any way? If so how?

Comment

A few tapcons and some wire should do the trick. Since you are going to enclose, now is the time to secure the blankets. Won't take many wires to hold CF in place.
      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-18-2013, 05:23 PM. Reason: fat fingers
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I used rebar tie wire w/tapcons. Costs only a few bucks for a lifetime supply, and has the right combo of strength/flexibility.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hey DJ,

We had our first avalanche near Alta this year although we have not had alot of snow yet.
          Russell

Comment

Wow, that was a question I should not have needed to ask. Thank you for the kind replies.

Comment

BTW,

Those are some serious industrial weight tools you have there. Like the giant pooper scooper (ash) scooper.
              Russell

Comment

Good build all the way around. Nice neat job on the Insul blanket too! As far as the Perlite, cant have too much insulation. It's cheap and you'll never say "I wish I had less Insulation"
                My build documentary page:
                https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Russell, thank you for the comment on the tools. It was a rainy weekend so I spent some time in my shop, but still managed to do something related to the oven project. They look a little heavy, but I have used all of them, and I like the feel, and how they work. Best of all they were made from materials from my scrap pile.
                  Garner, I have been thinking the same thing, but at some point there is a diminishing return on insulation. I have 4" of cf I know more wouldn't hurt, but will it help? Hard to say. Since the weather is turning now, my progress will slow I probably wont have to make that decision for a while.

What does anyone else think? If you had 4" of cf would you still fill your enclosure with loose fill insulation?

Comment

Too much snow, too cold, it's been a long winter, well long for us anyway.

I am finally back working on my oven. I decided to frame with wood, I have have the clearances where needed, and feel that the steel studs and cement board are overkill for this application. I have been using the oven all winter and the only place it even got warm is on the outside is the face of the outer entry arch. Even if I had gone with steel I would have used span rated plywood for the roof decking, so if there is going to be wood in there, it might as well be all wood in there. The fact that I have done a little framing, and have the tools to do it also influenced the decision. A nail gun is a great time saver.

I am planning on a couple of lights in the soffit above the landing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or if you have lights above your landing will you please share what you like or don't like about your lights.

Comment

I have framed all my enclosures in wood, no problems with all the insulation and good clearances.

I don't have lights in my current oven, but if I did, they would have a dimmer switch.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

Comment

I used a simple under-cabinet light kit I bought at Home Depot. I buried them flush in the soffit.

Dislikes: kit has a touch-sensitive 3-position dimmer switch which will not allow lights to come on with an automatic timer. I still have to go out to the oven every night to turn on the lights.

Comment

Those lights look sharp...nice clean looking install.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

Great-looking oven. Has that homey, inviting look.

Comment

Jeeppiper, That is exactly the photo I was wanting to see. Thank you. I like the look and it seems that I will need some lighting on my landing. I like the little white lights that you have strung up too. I am planning on some type of European market/street cafe type of lights strung up.
                              Stonecutter, Yes definitely dimmers. I may want some fairly bright light on the landing when I want to see, but I am going to want a much softer light for sitting and digesting.

Comment

That is one sharp looking oven. Great work!
                                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                                X