Using rock instead of brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using rock instead of brick

Ok, thank you for the reassurance Tscarborough. I appreciate it. As for the hollow bricks they have here, do you think they would work for the insulating layer under the floor? i was thinking if trying them and possibly filling them with a porous material.

Comment

Assuming you don't have access to vermiculite, perlite or ceramic blankets or boards, if you have pumice available that would work as insulation. For that matter, it might be worth omitting the brick and make a pumice/portland slab.

The downside to using hollow core under the floor brick is added mass...unless you want a heat sink for longer heat retention.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

I have not seen perlite or vermiculite here anywhere. I haven't even looked for ceramic blankets or boards. I wouldn't even know where to look for those. I may be able to find pumice. I understand your thoughts of the hollow brick acting as a heat sink. Looks like I will have to so more digging into what I can find here for insulation. Problem is... they don't really insulate anything here so there is really no need for it. the only type of insulation i have seen here is fiberglass and pseudo fiberglass. Would those work at all?

Comment

I wouldn't recommend fiberglass because of the chemicals involved in it's manufacture and it would vitrify from the heat.

Another consideration is whole glass bottles encapsulated in clay. It is safe, and low budget cob builds use that technique often.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Ahhh, that wouldn't be good! thank you for the heads up. I may give the bottles a go.
            Last edited by josh_r; 11-07-2013, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Gudday
              Have a look at the latest cob oven posted in other oven types section.
              It's really a nice looking oven. It has a U-tide attached of the build as well.
              Well worth the look
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Gudday

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...
                Check this out in the Australian section. The guy has not completed his build.
                But he faces the same sort of things you are.
                He is having bricks made for him, using local collected pumice as insulation, and at the moment baking limestone to make his own hydrated lime.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dave, thank you very much for the suggestions! I will definitely check them out! I have been considering a cob build as well, but haven't looked into it much yet. We are going to start doing some heavy searching for useable products next week. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks again for the advice!

Josh

Comment

You can think of your local bricks as "unitized cob" because that is basically what they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X