X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: New Build in South Oz

nice brick work closing the dome tight and symetrical.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Photos. First flame.
    Having trouble loading photos
    Last edited by wotavidone; 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Colin,
    Do your floor bricks lay straight on the hebel like Cobblerdaves?
    I think the layer of bricks protect the hebel from the direct fire, and ensure the hebel heats slowly and evenly.
    With all respect to my mate, I do hope to win the debate about the thermal mass/reinforcement. An inch of render will result in 4 inches of thermal mass. According to the Forno Bravo plans that's "high but acceptable" for a domestic oven.
    I also will try to convince him on taking the chimney straight up from the entry.
    The plan with the rest of the insulation is to make the enclosure from the rest of the hebel blocks he has, then pour perlite into the voids. Rectangular "house", round oven, gotta be some voids, right?

Perlite, because there just might be a supplier here in town.
    Right now, I'm expecting we will end up with an oven with 3 inch floor, 4 inch dome, and very well insulated. My hope is this will allow reasonable heat up times and good ability to roast meats in the oven.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Tell them I said it [Hebel] cracks if in direct contact with heat. It insulates very well my hearth under full firing does not get above 48c at its base. I am using a scrap piece of hebel panel [ which is reinforced whereas block isn't ]for a temp door and it has cracked severely,

Not sure I get it, he wont add extra thermal mass has, thin walls any way, but wants to run the flue back up to the middle of the dome from the landing. That adds nothing to the oven in any way but provides an indirect path for flue gases to travel. Hmmmmmm interesting....

Is he going to use blanket around the dome?

You can get flexible flue that will follow the path of the landing to the dome I believe have seen it in my own research
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-05-2014, 02:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Looks likme the committee approach works .

But the oven will be unfinished if you start the cooking process prior to final render if that what you are doing. Seems most stop the build once they can fire oven up and cook.
    So true. I've been telling the committee that there is a way to go from here.
    We got the keystone(s) in this afternoon and sat down to have a stubby and discuss the next steps. I've been telling my mate that the next step I'd like to do is coat the outside of the completed dome with a layer of lime rich reinforced render to beef up the thermal mass and tie everything together.
    The whole committee can't see the need, because, not having been fired to 4-500 C, this thing is currently as solid as a rock.
    Of course, I'm saying that it will be subjected to tremendous stresses, and any help we can give it, we should.
    He plans to build the enclosure from hebel block, so the whole house is one big block of insulation.
    Next step is to build the front entry/smoke chamber/chimney.
    That is going to be an adventure.
    My mate would very much like to see the chimney run back over the dome and rise from the centre of the oven, a la Neapolitan pizza ovens.
    I've been trying to figure how we would do that, since the ones I have seen have a brick lined channel.
    The thing is, that isn't really insulated, which doesn't matter for a Neapolitan pizza oven, but surely must for a retained heat baking oven?
    He can't see why the channel up over the dome can't be made from Hebel, but, despite my faith in the stuff, it is reasonably fragile compared to brick and I have my doubts about long term direct exposure to combustion gases.
    More decisions.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Looks likme the committee approach works .

But the oven will be unfinished if you start the cooking process prior to final render if that what you are doing. Seems most stop the build once they can fire oven up and cook.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Got most of it done today.
    No beer and supplies run interfering today.
    Did a full ring and 4 out of the 11 bricks we estimate we need in the final ring.
    Turns out the film She Who Must be Obeyed wants to see (requires a 110 mile round trip to go to the cinema in Port Augusta) is not on til Tuesday. So we are allowed to finish the dome tomorrow.
    7 or 8 bricks in the final course, and a keystone.
    8 days to build the dome.
    We gotta get it done. She Who Must Be Obeyed fired up this morning, about all his unfinished projects.

By lunch time all was forgiven and SWMBO made us chicken curry and rice for lunch.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday mick
    WOW
    Oven building by committee .... Now that's a concept I had never considered?
    Must be interesting.... Keeping a bunch on track ... With beer involved... Southward is not a iffy beer either
    Regards Dave
    The committee is well stocked with men who run their own one and two man contracting shows. No output, no pay, so these guys like to make a decision and get on with it.
    Very Interesting.
    Southwark is right up there with vegemite.
    If you were raised on it, you like it. Otherwise it's "How on earth can you stand that crap?"

Never gets a good review, unless it's a South Aussie writing it.
    Southwark Bitter

Funny thing is, lots of reviewers say its a substitute for VB, whereas most guys I know won't touch VB.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday mick
    WOW
    Oven building by committee .... Now that's a concept I had never considered?
    Must be interesting.... Keeping a bunch on track ... With beer involved... Southward is not a iffy beer either
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday mick
    How's it going working with someone else on an oven?
    I built mine all by myself just taking my sweet own time about it an enjoyed the experience and Queensland great winter wheather.
    Working with someone else was a different experience but enjoyable none the less. I made it very clear that it was His oven and He called the shots and would only say something if was truly drastic or dangerous.
    We certainly didn't do the work of two men and drank too many beers but the oven got finished and we both enjoyed the journey.
    The oven works well and is different to mine ( pavers and pearlcrete!)
    I enjoyed that build as well as my own, I enjoyed the company and the beers. An as a side note... Both our wife's still talk to us both, so alls good.
    Regards dave
    It is a buzz, Dave.
    Lots of interested friends drop in to see how it's going and they all require an explanation and guided tour. We do not want for supplies, tools, moral support, constructive criticism, or assistance.
    For example, today I felt the concrete slab under the oven spanned too big a gap. I really felt it should be braced in the middle before we added anymore weight. The committee discussed it and decided to humour me. So one of our mates expertly welded a brace, and I mean the sort of welds I can only dream of laying, while we continued to cut and lay bricks.
    One tough bit: the oven needs to be the right height to operate from his entertaining area, which is about 2 feet above ground level, so the stand is over 5 feet high from ground level. Working off ladders and stuff does add an extra dimension.

The beer is plentiful.
    My mate is married to a lovely Filipina, SWMBO, and he loves the Filipino lifestyle. Which is, it seems to me, a continuous party.
    Actually, it seems to be based on gatherings of family and friends to share food, music and laughs
    At this time of year, the festive season, we are welcome just about any time. We are not complete freeloaders, we all try to ensure the fridge doesn't run out.

The food is another story, I believe the man is on a mission to convert all of us to Filipino food, and help me gain a few kilos along the way.

My tale is similar to yours with regard to the work. I hold out for a good fit when the bricks are cut, and I mix the mortar and lay them. Once the dome and entry arch are built, the rest is up to my mate.
    We'll do whatever he wants, though I do try to restrain anything I think dangerous, or just won't work or endure.

I reckon we've done more in 6 days than I did in 6 weeks on my own.
    Got another course done today.
    Two courses and a keystone to go, we estimate. I go back to work on Monday and he has to take the missus out on Sunday. I'm keen to leave him a finished dome, so we really have to perform tomorrow.

Of course, he is in Rotary with my boss, so there is a possibility he'll just ring him up and demand my services for an extra day.
    Last edited by wotavidone; 01-03-2014, 04:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
    Got a bit more done today. Slow going. The brick cutter, who is also the client on this build, insisted we knock off for Filipino pork skewers and stir fry noodles for lunch, then we had to go get more lime, and Southwark, then our other mates turned up so we had to review progress.
    Got another course of bricks laid and some cut for the next course tomorrow.
    Gudday mick
    How's it going working with someone else on an oven?
    I built mine all by myself just taking my sweet own time about it an enjoyed the experience and Queensland great winter wheather.
    Working with someone else was a different experience but enjoyable none the less. I made it very clear that it was His oven and He called the shots and would only say something if was truly drastic or dangerous.
    We certainly didn't do the work of two men and drank too many beers but the oven got finished and we both enjoyed the journey.
    The oven works well and is different to mine ( pavers and pearlcrete!)
    I enjoyed that build as well as my own, I enjoyed the company and the beers. An as a side note... Both our wife's still talk to us both, so alls good.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

My mate tried a butane torch on the corner of an off-cut of Hebel about 8 by 8 by 6 inches. The surface was glowing red where the flame was impinging on it, but an inch or so away the block was still cool to the touch. After allowing the surface to cool, I found the surface was no more friable or powdery than the area that hadn't been heated to red heat.
    Three minutes with a torch is hardly a scientific test, but pretty impressive just the same.
    I seem to remember seeing advertisements where they did the same thing, back when this stuff was first being introduced to Australia.
    I reckon it is a viable material for insulation under an oven.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Got a bit more done today. Slow going. The brick cutter, who is also the client on this build, insisted we knock off for Filipino pork skewers and stir fry noodles for lunch, then we had to go get more lime, and Southwark, then our other mates turned up so we had to review progress.
    Got another course of bricks laid and some cut for the next course tomorrow.
    Last edited by wotavidone; 01-02-2014, 04:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Another try at loading photos.
    Last edited by wotavidone; 01-01-2014, 04:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Progress, even with blistering heat and New Year interfering.
    My mate built the stand and laid the 6 inch/150mm thick Hebel insulating layer.
    Since Sunday arvo, we've built an arch and a rough IT, laid two courses of brick and installed a floor cut to fit inside the dome. The floor took a while, as he had his heart set on a herringbone pattern. The bricks are not bedded at all, since he has his eye on some other floor material and wants it to be easy to replace the floor with the other stuff.
    I'm reasonably happy with the rate of progress. We could be going a little faster, but there are several guys mixed up with this build who've never built an oven or even thought about how to, and courtesy demands explanations as we go along.
    For instance, my preference is to use the IT as I really like the accurate placement of bricks. With being able to fully load the joints with mortar that squeezes out in all directions, ensuring the joint has no gaps, and then having ease of access for cleaning the inside face of the brick as we go, I reckon it's the best way to go.
    So I have to explain why I like it better than laying the bricks on a sand dome or an inflated exercise ball, etc.
    It's all part of the fun, and many a Southwark has lubricated the conversations. His wife is a truly tolerant woman.
    (Southwark is a beer than only a South Aussie raised on the stuff, or a maybe a Broken Hill boy of a certain generation, could enjoy. Hint: its nickname back in the day was "Green Death".)
    Once I demonstrated the IT today, I believe I have made a couple of converts.
    My poor mate did comment today that he hadn't realised that "I'll give you a hand to build an oven" really meant "Stay out of the bloody way and don't touch anything."
    Really I sorta had to do it, because there was so many opinions flying around on how to do certain things that we were in danger of doing bugger all. So I decided to be "project leader".
    I promised him he could lay a brick tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X