Ash dump installs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash dump installs

Hello pizza people , has anyone installed an ash dump in their firebrick floor? I realize there is going to be heat lose coupled with the fact ,it would need to be placed out of the way of both fire and cooking area. Just seems like the space below could be partitioned off, 8 in. block, and you would have a ash pit, wood box combo. Wondering really about the heat loss this would cause? Would leave a brick out for a hole to sweep ashes into. Hole would be covered when cooking. Also this hole could be used for additional "fresh air" to stoke the fire as in fireplaces I have built. Any thoughts would be great.

Re: Ash dump installs

I came across a WFO plan just the other day that incorporates a slot to scrape ashes, etc. into. It is located outside of the oven, behind where the door is located, so I don't think it would interfere w/either fresh air intake or heat loss. It also suggests making a cover for it when not in use. The cleanout for the ashes is actually on the side of the foundation, which I thought was a plus. If you want info, I could email you what info I have. I think it's a neat idea, but certainly not a necessity, rather a feature of convenience for the user. I plan to use it when I start my WFO soon.
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Could I get in on that too? I've been throwing that idea around too. It would be nice to see how it has been done. I like the idea of the cleanout being on the side too. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by runningfromseptember View Post
        Could I get in on that too? I've been throwing that idea around too. It would be nice to see how it has been done. I like the idea of the cleanout being on the side too. Thanks!
        Sure. Just PM me your email and I'll send you a couple pics.
        My Build:

Comment

I've never bothered with an ovens I have built, mainly because they run so hot they clean themselves. I started using my oven in July and haven't had to remove ashes yet.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

As I am still learning about WFO's, I am under the impression that some people desire them for cleaning out hot embers, etc., in preparation to cook things such as bread. As I said, still reading and learning here. As of right now, I still plan on installing one.
            My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
              As I am still learning about WFO's, I am under the impression that some people desire them for cleaning out hot embers, etc., in preparation to cook things such as bread. As I said, still reading and learning here. As of right now, I still plan on installing one.
              Not sayin you shouldn't, but a metal bucket does the same job.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                I've never bothered with an ovens I have built, mainly because they run so hot they clean themselves. I started using my oven in July and haven't had to remove ashes yet.
                Dmn.........................................................
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I remove about a 2 and a half gallons of coals each time when prepping to cook. The coals either go into an almost airtight metal trashcan to turn into charcoal, or into the grill next to the oven if the menu requires grilling. It is a simple process to get them out of the oven into either place using a metal peel and a hoe.

Comment

I like the idea, though. I realize everyone has their own preferences and opinions. I like the thought of just scraping them in and forgetting about the hot embers for awhile. That's just me, though. As they say, "to each his own". It'll be my first WFO and almost everyone would probably agree they learned a lot and would do at least one thing different the next time "if" they built again. Matter of fact, I recently read the thread about that subject (what folks would change). I might be on here a year or so from now saying I'd never do another ash dump.....time will tell, I guess. Or I might just be on here saying "there's nothing like a good dump".
                    My Build:

Comment

I built mine without an ash dump but sometimes I wish I had one. As many have said, "it is no big deal to rake them up and shovel them into a steel bucket" - which is what I do. However there are a few times when that has been a bit of a hassle and I wish I could just sweep them into a hole and be done with it. I haven't finished my countertops yet, so I'm still contemplating something on mine.

I have even designed (on paper) a vacuum system that would be stored under the hearth to suck the ashes out of the back - or reversed to blow onto the fire if I was having any difficulty with the fire. That really hasn't been an issue and I'm sure that I won't bother with that.

Good luck with your dump - if you have not found them already, there are few cool designs out there on the forum already. Post some pictures of your progress.

Regards,
                      AT
                      Last edited by ATK406; 02-13-2014, 10:07 PM. Reason: missing word

Comment

If I had it to do again, I'd build an ash drop into my oven. The metal dust pan/oven rake combo does a fine job, but it's hot, uncomfortable and messy if you're trying to clean out a very hot oven in order to make bread in a few hours.

The challenge, I think, is that the ash-drop needs to be relatively big (otherwise you've traded fighting with the dust-pan to fighting with a tiny hole), and you have to be able to cover it. My notion, for my hypothetical second oven, would be to omit a the whole row of firebricks from the entry area (so, outside the door), and instead have a sheet of stainless steel that covers the gap, with the bricks front and back notched to allow the sheet to sit flush, and a hole or something to allow you to pick it up.
                        My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Originally posted by rsandler View Post
                          If I had it to do again, I'd build an ash drop into my oven. The metal dust pan/oven rake combo does a fine job, but it's hot, uncomfortable and messy if you're trying to clean out a very hot oven in order to make bread in a few hours.

The challenge, I think, is that the ash-drop needs to be relatively big (otherwise you've traded fighting with the dust-pan to fighting with a tiny hole), and you have to be able to cover it. My notion, for my hypothetical second oven, would be to omit a the whole row of firebricks from the entry area (so, outside the door), and instead have a sheet of stainless steel that covers the gap, with the bricks front and back notched to allow the sheet to sit flush, and a hole or something to allow you to pick it up.
                          That's pretty much what I am going to do. Other than the simple fact that I just plain like the idea. I also hopefully will be using my WFO and surrounding areas as a model for folks to see, if and when I decide to build them for others. It will be nice to have one w/a ash dump to show to folks. I do some masonry work for a living and hope to learn enough from building mine, in addition to the wealth of info here, to be able to build a few more. I already have put the WFO bug into a few ears and now people are waiting to see mine, etc. So, I guess if the weather gives me a few breaks here and there, I'll keep plugging away at it. I know I am infected w/the WFO Bug, since I am starting to lay awake at night w/my wheels spininn' about the project. Then, wake up thinking about it. Got that Bug bad, I do.
                          Last edited by NCMan; 02-04-2014, 02:44 PM. Reason: Typo
                          My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
                            I came across a WFO plan just the other day that incorporates a slot to scrape ashes, etc. into. It is located outside of the oven, behind where the door is located, so I don't think it would interfere w/either fresh air intake or heat loss. It also suggests making a cover for it when not in use. The cleanout for the ashes is actually on the side of the foundation, which I thought was a plus. If you want info, I could email you what info I have. I think it's a neat idea, but certainly not a necessity, rather a feature of convenience for the user. I plan to use it when I start my WFO soon.
                            Getting ready to build , could you email me info as welll ?

Comment

Getting really excited, ready to build oven love the idea of a ash dump. can you give me more info

Comment

Working...
                              X