Re: Floor Insulation

G'day
    You got to be happy with results like that... Good look' pie
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Question...are you finding the floor too hot?
    Initially, when I relied on only dome-reflected flames to heat the floor I could only get 400-500F in the center of the floor, making for some pretty doughy pizzas. Now, charging the floor with coals for several minutes, I have been able to get both dome and floor 800F.

The last few sessions this has worked well for my neopolitan pies using Caputo 00 and sourdough starter.

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    is the floor soap stone?

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    I used both vermiculite (bottom 3.5") and 2" calcium silicate board on top. After a number of 800-900F pizza sessions the bottom of the support slab remains at ambient temp.

Leave a comment:

• hungng
    replied

When you look at the vermiculite slab you think there is no way that it will support the dome but it does and is surprisingly strong.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

I used both vermiculite (bottom 3.5") and 2" calcium silicate board on top. After a number of 800-900F pizza sessions the bottom of the support slab remains at ambient temp.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

just a recommendation: use some FB Board or equivalent for the actual base under the floor bricks. I think the gain in efficiency and heat retention is easily justified.

Texman

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Tarter3,
    Dave is right about that. I just want to elaborate on vcrete strengths. A 5 to 1 (vermiculite to portland cement) is what is recomended for the floor. Vcrete over the dome is usually about 10 to 1. You probably have picked that up already. I just wanted to be sure .

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    Yes there is no problem with the insulation layer supporting the oven whether its pearlite cement or ceramic board. I know you can dint the surface of both with a fingernail but the weight is spread out so its supported. All the ovens here are built directly on the insulation
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• tartar3
    started a topic Floor Insulation

Floor Insulation

Hi all just have a quick question, I have been searching the forum about floor insulation and can't find the answer. Can I put the soldier bricks directly on top of vermiculite concrete,I am concerned that it will not support the weight of the oven
Working...
X