38" build in Slovenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 38" build in Slovenia

I figured someone would be along that could actually answer that question.

FYI: I love your sig, Dave!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

I completed entry transition on friday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1251.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	304843

On Saturday I made it to row 9 and I cut bricks for row 10 to be laid on Sunday. For row 10 I switched to thirds. Switching ment I needed to change tapper. I dry checked two bricks while adjusting bevel until joint was flush but forgot to check if tapper was OK.

Name:	CIMG1288.JPG
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	304845

Today I laid first two bricks and still didn't see my error only to discover that third brick doesn't fit. Decided it was too hot anyway so I am trying again tomorrow.

Check your tapper first!!!

Name:	CIMG1296.JPG
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	304844 Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1294.JPG
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	304846

Gorazd

Comment

Absolutely stunning work.
        Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Thanks Oblertone. I saw your build and I can't believe what you did in just five days

Comment

Originally posted by gorazdr View Post
            Thanks Oblertone. I saw your build and I can't believe what you did in just five days
            Different drivers; I'd love to take the time & care you have, but the need to eat charred uncooked dough and raw vegetables is strong in me 3rd curing fire in progress, no major cracks yet
            Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Dome is closed

The last two rows took a litle longer than planned.

Here are some pictures after last row was completed.

Name:	CIMG1386.JPG
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	304905Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1408.JPG
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	304906

It was not a perfect circle but close enough.
              The it was time to cut plug.

Name:	CIMG1406.JPG
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	304907

and after noumerous trips to my cutter it was fitted.

Name:	CIMG1470.JPG
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	304908Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1411.JPG
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	304909

Gorazd

Comment

Some cleanup

After I broke off brick wedges the dome outside was rugged so I decided to finish it with thin layer of homebrew mortar (used firebrick dust from cutting instead of fireclay).

Name:	CIMG1456.JPG
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	304910

I have also cleaned the inside of the oven.

Name:	CIMG1464.JPG
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	304911

Now it time to do the chimney. I did not leave much space for it. I only have 29cm (11.5") left so it will be shallow. I am planning of using 8" steel flue pipe (2mm thick and 1m height) insulated outside with 1" of rock wool. And to make things a little more complicated I want to incorporate 1cm thermal break.

I am thinking of placing outer arch 1.25" overlaping inner arch with ceramic rope sandwitched between the two.

What do you think? Would that work?

Gorazd

Comment

If I understand you correctly, it will work .

Name:	010 (4).JPG
Views:	4
Size:	530.7 KB
ID:	304912
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yes Gulf that is what I want to do. My concern is that two outer arches will be only 2.5" thick on top. Can they take the weight?

Gorazd

Comment

......... My concern is that two outer arches will be only 2.5" thick on top. Can they take the weight?

Gorazd
                      Two outer arches and 2.5" thick on top? I'm not sure that I understand.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I drew a sketch of what I mean.

Name:	zunanji vhod.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	304919

Comment

That is an interesting design. I don't think that it would have any problems with smoke. Though, an entry with full heatbreak is free standing from the dome, so it needs a good foot print to be stable. One thing that is at your advantage is that you went with a hemispherical arch. I think that it would carry the weight but, since it is so thin, it may need buttressing to be on the safe side. Doing away with the two thin arches and making the entry a "tunnel" with full width brick, would greatly increase the strength and stability, without having to buttress. For an entry with a full heat break, a deep entry (12") works better. It allows room to complete the arch front and back. Completing the arch in the back is crucial, imo. The 12" entry allows you to do this and still have room for the 8" pipe. Counting the overlap, you have room for that.

Comment

Hi Gulf thanks for your reply. If a go with full width bricks then a can not taper them correctly (max cut depth is 2.6") and I do not trust untapered bricks. Do you think that butressing with aac blocks would be enough? How hot do these bricks get?

Gorazd

Comment

Hi Gulf thanks for your reply. If a go with full width bricks then a can not taper them correctly (max cut depth is 2.6") and I do not trust untapered bricks. Do you think that butressing with aac blocks would be enough? How hot do these bricks get?

Gorazd
                              I hope that I am not suggesting something that is going to cost you a finger . Can you set a jig to cut 1/2 way, reverse the brick and then cut the other?

The AAC's would probably be ok, as long as they are set in mortar and fit close to the curve of the entry. But, I don't really have any experiece with them. The entry gets hot but, not near to what the oven does.

I knotched face brick and made a thin containment wall, which was backfilled with vercrete, to buttress mine. Though, it takes up a lot of room, and really hides the "igloo look" from the front view of the oven. I can visualze where someone could form the vcrete to the curve of the vent and then fit a reinforced rendor or arched brick facade to that. The width of the buttressing may not be a consern, if you are building an enclosure.
                              Last edited by Gulf; 06-15-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

You got me rethinking my plans. I will make a hybrid of two designs. First two hemisphere parts will be full bricks and the rest thin arches. Over that 2" of vermicrete followed by reinforced stucco.

I do not like straight tunnel as I need a lip to anchor outer door to prevent weather getting in. It will be iglu style and I need to take weather profing seriously.

Gorazd

Comment

Working...
                                X