38" build in Slovenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 38" build in Slovenia

I think that I used a poor description referring to the entry as a "tunnel". I think that now, since you responded with the term "straight tunnel". You stated "I do not like straight tunnel as I need a lip to anchor outer door to prevent weather getting in." I used face brick on my ouitside arch to form that lip for the exterior weather door. Others have used reinforced stucco to do the same.
    You did a pretty good drawing of your first plan. Could you post a drawing of your new plan? I am not understanding all of what I read, as I am sure that you are not understanding all that I post. Every thing that I see that you have done so far, looks great! I just want to make sure that I have not confused you on the rest .

Joe
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I changed my design on bottom parts of the arch to minimize stress in area marked with green arrow. I turned full bricks vertical to maximize strength after cutting clearance slots.

Here is my revised plan.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	zunanji vhod2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	304977

Gorazd

Comment

Front arch

Yesterday I started building front arch.

Name:	CIMG1497.JPG
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	305048Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1505.JPG
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	305049

Midday it was to hot for my mortar (it went in 4 minutes) so I was a bit behind on my schedule.

Today I finished it.

Name:	CIMG1562.JPG
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	305050Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1574.JPG
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	305051Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1578.JPG
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	305052

Almost there

Comment

Thermal break

Here are some detailed pictures of thermal break.

Name:	CIMG1570.JPG
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	305053Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1576.JPG
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	305054Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1575.JPG
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	305055Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1577.JPG
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	305056

What should I put beneath the stainless U bar on the floor break?
          a) nothing
          b) vermiculit
          c) perlit
          d) leica balls
          e) something else

Gorazd
          Last edited by gorazdr; 06-22-2014, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Great looking entry! It should draw real well. Again, it is an interesting design. I am looking forward to hear how it performs. After packing the heatbreak, and giving it some support with the vcrete and reinforced stucco, the entry should serve you well. I am guessing, that you will be making the reveal for your weather door out of vcrete and stucco?
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf. I removed forms after only 20 hours of drying and it was ok. Over that I will render with perlite stucco with added reinforcement fibers (commercial product) 1" thick followed by acrilic/silicate stucco or gress tiles, haven't decided yet.

I will be packing heatbreaks with ceramic rope and hi-temp caulking, but I do not know what to put under floor heatbreak?

Weather door will be inset into entry so no extra reveal. I will do that in autumn months before first snow.

Weather forecast is 3 days of rain after that I will start curing the oven.
              My plan:
              - 3 days of 500W reflector on timer(cycling temp) or until there is moisture under tarp.
              - gas burner 5kW until oven reaches 150 deg celsius

- insulate the dome with 6"-8" of rockwool (660 C / 1220F)
              - add reinforced concrete with vermiculite added to lower weight 1"
              - dry for 1 week
              - add lime/cement stucco 5-10mm
              - dry for 2 days
              - add silicate stucco
              - dry for 1 day

and then fire this baby

So I can report how it is drawing smoke in about 3-4 weeks.

Gorazd
              -

Comment

I've never worked with the stucco with the fibers. I have heard some good recommedations for it from this site. I'm an antique so I used the mesh. Are you still applying the stucco over 2" of vermicrete?

I did not use the ss channel for a heatbreak. I just separated the oven floor brick from the entry brick with ceramic fiber tape. Maybe someone who used the ss steel will answer that for you .

Comment

Dome insulation

After curing the oven with light bulb and gas burner I covered the dome with insulation. I used two layers of 4cm (1.6") rockwool over the entire dome with extra 4cm layer over the top. In the pictures you can probably see that I also covered front entry with fiber reinforced perlite.

I then covered the rockwool with thin layer of ceramic tile glue. I did this because I would like to minimize water from vermicrite layer seeping into rockwool. I did not see anyone elso do that but I thought it made sense.

Here are some pictures:

Name:	CIMG1604.JPG
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	305205Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1610.JPG
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	305206

Gorazd

Comment

First fire

After the insulation was on it was time for first fire.

I tried to keep flames low. Top of the dome peaked at 310C/590F and the floor at 220C/428F but that was for only short period of time. After about three hours I let the flame go out. With only embers the temps went down to 250C/482F on top and 190C/374f on the floor.

Flue was drawing well when the flames were high but there was some smoke when the flames were low. Flue temp was at max 90C/194F.

Name:	CIMG1665.JPG
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	305207Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1662.JPG
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	305208Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1678.JPG
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	305209

Name:	CIMG1686.JPG
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	305210Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1693.JPG
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	305211Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1689.JPG
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	305212

Gorazd

Comment

First goodies

With only embers left I tried some cooking/baking. I planned to bake cherry pie but I got hungry so I threw in also some chicken and potatoes. Embers cooled down so I was a bit sceptical but after an hour and 15 minutes I got the best chicken I ever tested. The pie was also very good even on top and bottom.

Whoau I got hungry again must go and east some more pie.

Name:	CIMG1706.JPG
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	305213

Name:	CIMG1718.JPG
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	305214

Comment

Re: Dome insulation

Originally posted by gorazdr View Post

I then covered the rockwool with thin layer of ceramic tile glue. I did this because I would like to minimize water from vermicrite layer seeping into rockwool. I did not see anyone elso do that but I thought it made sense.
                        Something that has been recommended many times is using ceramic rigidizer or a Portland/acrylic slurry over insulation for just that purpose. Hope it worked out for you.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                        John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks Stonecutter for your confirmation.

Comment

Pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                            [/CENTER]

Comment

Hi,

I finished my insulating layers. I added 2" of perlite concrete (fiber reinforced over 6mm steel rebar). Now i have a bit of dilema. Do I need concrete over that or would stucco be enough? My concern is snow or weight of it. (we can get max 1m or 3 feet)

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gorazdr View Post
                                Hi,

I finished my insulating layers. I added 2" of perlite concrete (fiber reinforced over 6mm steel rebar). Now i have a bit of dilema. Do I need concrete over that or would stucco be enough? My concern is snow or weight of it. (we can get max 1m or 3 feet)

Thanks
                                People have done it both ways. I would think the snow would break the stucco if it wasn't reinforced but I'm just guessing - wait for one of the other guys to weigh in.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                                [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X