Mike's Northern Virginia Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mike's Northern Virginia Build

Having rebar from the base slab up though the CMU's and then bent across in the hearth section is the ticket. BUT, no worries about simply cutting and wiring together at 90 degree angles, won't be a deal breaker. That's what we did and everything is still good to go.

Comment

Thanks CV_Oven.

The base is ready for the cores to be filled and hearth slab to be poured. I hope to have it framed and poured in the next few days depending on the weather.

I used angle iron on the front span, and cut the concrete blocks for it to fit flush. I am pretty happy how it has turned out so far.

The plan is for 3.5" slab and then 2" of FB board.

Some pics of the base

Comment

Finally got some work done on the base. Every other core was filled with concrete and rebar, then I framed up the hearth slab. My base wasn't quite as level as I thought, so I made sure it was very level for the slab. I wanted to raise the height of the cooking floor up a bit so I poured a slightly thicker slab than normal. My slab goes from 4.5 to 5 inches (to make it perfectly level all around).
        with the 2" FB board and the 2.5" firebrick, the floor will be perfect elbow height, it "feels" comfortable to me.

Here are a few pictures, sorry about the sun/shade lines in the one.

I have to go out of town for a few days and we are expecting rain, the slab is hard already, is there any problem leaving the plastic on it? I can't mist it everyday, so I am wondering if I should leave it covered with plastic or just uncover it.

I can 't wait to start on the actual oven, hopefully this weekend.

Comment

Coming along nicely. I would leave the plastic on so the concrete can cure slowly. You'r in business to start the oven.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks UtahBeehiver.

I pulled the plastic and forms today, and am satisfied with the hearth slab.

I laid out the plan on the slab and then put down the FB Board. I trimmed the FB board and drew the layout on it as well. I decided to put the floor inside of the dome walls so I laid out the floor pattern and cut the floor. I was also able to get the first course cut and in place. I tapered the both sides of the bricks. My neighbor Rob has been a big help with calculating the brick angles and other general assistance.

I have about a 1.5" gap in the course that I imagine will be taken up by mortar, if not I will cut a small brick to fit and place it near the front out of sight.

I have a few little gaps between the floor and the first course (first time cutting bricks) Most are within 1/8 of an in or so. I don't imagine they will be a problem and will ultimately fill with ash.

I also played with the dome profile. It will be just like the FB plans. 36" oven, 18" high with a 19" wide 12" high door.

Tomorrow I will pull all of the floor bricks (I numbered them), mix the clay from todays cuts with sand and level the floor. (it is not too bad now).

Please let me know if I am am overlooking something important! (the arch form is not properly aligned in the picture)

(edit) - sorry for the sideways pictures, I don't know why that happened....
            Thanks,
            Mike
            Last edited by Mdog91; 05-23-2014, 06:55 AM. Reason: pics

Comment

The gap is good, acts as an expansion joint between floor and dome. Be sure to cover the gap with duct tape during your dome build to keep mortar from falling in and defeating the purpose of the expansion gap. Nice job on floor and first course.
              Russell

Comment

Thanks UtahBeehiver, I appreciate you following my build and providing advice. I have tried to pour through your and many other's build(s) to learn from.

I leveled the floor with sand and fireclay today and mortared in the first course. I only mortared the brick sides for this course. I am using heatstop 50, it seems to be easy enough to work with if the bricks are moist and it is mixed to a peanut butter consistency. I put a strip of cardboard between the floor and first course. I cut and dry stacked the the second course as well.
                Tomorrow I will cut the plywood template so I can remove it upon completion, and tape the gap to prevent mortar from falling between the wall and floor. I will lay the second course and cut the third. Is there any problem with laying more that one course in a day? Should I let it set for 24 hours before going "up"?

I am planning on a "rectangular" type arch opening and am undecided if I should build it as I go, or build the arch before the dome. I plan on trying to tie it into the dome like K79's build that UtahBeehiver advised on as well.

Time to study K79's arch for the night. Thanks again to all on here, I am having so much fun doing this. I can't wait for pizza time......

Comment

G'day
                  So you thinking about a rectangular entrance? I did a rectangular entrance and it's not as easy to tie into a dome as you think . I have since helped to build an oven with an arch entrance and it was a walk in the park compared to mine .
                  The secound thing to consider is that an arch shape naturally concentrate the smoke to a mid point. With a rectangular entrance its spread out. I have a rectangular brick chimney as a result. My oven has no smoke stains at the entrance, which I can't complain about . But if you plan a smaller steel chimney remember you'll have to slowly funnel that smoke into a smaller and smaller space to enable it to work .
                  My oven works well and I'm quite happy with it. So basically I'm saying, be aware of the pitfalls and the chimney shape that is possible.
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Nice tight brick joints.
                    Russell

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                      G'day
                      So you thinking about a rectangular entrance? I did a rectangular entrance and it's not as easy to tie into a dome as you think . I have since helped to build an oven with an arch entrance and it was a walk in the park compared to mine .
                      The secound thing to consider is that an arch shape naturally concentrate the smoke to a mid point. With a rectangular entrance its spread out. I have a rectangular brick chimney as a result. My oven has no smoke stains at the entrance, which I can't complain about . But if you plan a smaller steel chimney remember you'll have to slowly funnel that smoke into a smaller and smaller space to enable it to work .
                      My oven works well and I'm quite happy with it. So basically I'm saying, be aware of the pitfalls and the chimney shape that is possible.
                      Regards dave
                      I don't mean a true rectangular entry with angle iron. I mean a sprung arch, at least I think that is what it is called. The straight sides and arched top like Les' and K79's builds. I think it give more access and view of the fire, and my wife likes it better. Do your statements about the smoke and such still apply to this type of arch or is it just for true rectangles? I plan on using a 8" duravent chimney. Thanks!
                      Mike

Comment

Gudday
                        No,as smoke naturally goes to the highest point most of the smoke will go to the middle. I would still make your vent opening as wide as possible to catch as much of the smoke present when you first flash up a cold oven.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Mdog,

Now that I understand what type of arch opening you are doing, here is a link for doing a tapered inner arch similar to what you are doing. It is an efficient why to tie your dome to the inner arch.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/oc...tml#post119582
                          Russell

Comment

Very nice start! Anxious to see how it ends up!
                            My build documentary page:
                            https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies and info. I hope to make significant progress this weekend.

I feel better about my arch choice with your reply Cobblerdave. The oven opening is 19" wide and the vent will be 20.5" wide to give me a .75" reveal all around, it will also be a brick and a half deep. I think this should work well to funnel the smoke and prevent stains on the front.

I think I have my head wrapped around the design and tie in of the arch to the dome thanks to the link from Utahbeehiver. That link and the one GiannaFocaccia posted about Gene's oven in the same thread really do a nice job of illustrating it.

I will post pictures of my progress.

Thanks again,
                              Mike

Comment

It is looking great so far. Love the expansion gaps and the tapered inner arch is definitely the way to go in my opinion. Granted I haven't done it yet but that's what I am shooting for too. Good luck. Wish you the best this weekend
                                Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Working...
                                X