Mike's Northern Virginia Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mike's Northern Virginia Build

Some good progress so far. I am up to the 5th course. My neighbor Rob made a Chipster style jig for me, to cut the angle and bevel. It works great! I have been trying to avoid the inverted V. I think it has been fairly successful so far. I may have actually over-beveled a little. They are not perfect, but I am learning and getting better as I go. I also got a little overzealous with the grinder trying to cup the inner face of a brick or two (back right) oops! I'll see if i can smooth that out tomorrow. I also need to pay a little closer attention to the joint bond and making sure they do not line up.

I have my arch bricks tapered and ready to go. I hope I didn't make a terrible mistake though - a full size brick would not fit in the saw to make the taper, so i cut the brick to 3.5 inches and then tapered it. They are still full length so i can match them up with the angles of the dome. I don't see any problems with them being 3.5" but I guess time will really tell...I will see how the tie in goes soon enough.

Is there any problem building the arch as I build the dome? or should I just build the entire arch and then the dome?

Pics of the Chipster Jig, 5th course, and the 3.5" high tapered arch bricks....

Thanks for your time and advice.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mdog91; 05-24-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

You can go either way on the arch, but joints have a way of growing as you build then you have no room to spread changes over several bricks if you build as you go. Just make sure you keep the arch ahead of the course bricks, much easier to tie to the arch. IMHO, I would build the complete arch first. Make sure you leave yourself some form release and save the arch template for your oven door,
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks! I went ahead and attempted the arch. I think it turned out pretty good. The slope matches up to the angle of the brick at TDC when I have it on the IT, so I think it should marry up pretty well.

I got bold and CAREFULLY removed the form about 30 minutes after the last brick was set to clean the underside of the arch and wall seemed fine. I Carefully put it back just to be safe.

I kind of "skim coated" the back side since I had a few blemishes from the saw and angle grinder as I tried to get it right.

I will insert the additional support bricks on the sides tomorrow.

Should I have any concern about the slightly larger mortar gap in the center?

Also, I am going to order my chimney set up on Tuesday, should I go with a 7" or 8" duravent? The oven opening is 19" wide and 12" high. I think 7" is good, but I have never heard of anyone complaining about being over flued.

Thanks!
        Last edited by Mdog91; 05-25-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Making headway, should be okay with slightly wider joint at center, your bricks are tapered and not going anywhere. Most of this arch is hidden any with the soot, chimney vent, and outer arch. Probably no need to skim coat inner arch since they will be covered by the dome bricks, but no harm, no foul. Making nice progress. I used 7" Selkirk since on a 42" since I found the pipe at a clearance store for $10 but if I were doing it again, I would have gone with 8". I can't remember what size oven you are building.
          Russell

Comment

Thanks UtahBeehiver, My oven is 36", I was going to do a 34" but you convinced me that the extra 2" was worth it and would fit on my hearth slab.

I took Memorial day off and have had rain the last two days, I hope to get back to work in the next day or so. I think I am going to to go with a 7" chimney unless I can find a great price on 8" materials.

Comment

Back to work after a few rain days.

I cleared the Arch!!! The transitions are pretty good, and I seemed to have avoided the droop and tear drop! The picture is a bit slanted, the level shows I have it pretty darn level.

I need to pay more attention to the bond, I have a few that are lined up pretty darn close (or right on), but nothing more than 2 courses.

It is not the neatest or tightest dome on here, but I don't think the pizza will know.

Fighting gravity now with the higher angles. Can't wait to close this thing up.

Comment

Well I made a lot of progress since my last post. I took advantage of the good weather and worked late every night. Sorry about not posting pics as I went, I spent my time on the site researching and looking at pictures.

So here goes.....hopefully I didn't make any major errors.

I got a few more courses in (pic 1)

Then I went with a sand form for the last two courses, I kind of wish I hadn't, since they didn't come out as neatly as the other courses.

Comment

Once the top two courses were ok, I dropped the form the next day (mistake), and then I cleaned up the top of the dome as best I could. I really should have dropped the form sooner, or really just stayed with the IT.....

Then I sculpted a keystone and tapped it in!

DOME IS CLOSED!!! I am so happy!

I am little frustrated that the brick bonds really seem to be really lined up. I hope it doesn't crack too badly........I am ready for some, they will add character

Comment

Built the outer arch and started on the vent/chimney transition. I am using a 8.5x8.5 clay flue liner (measured 7.25x7.25 inner) for a chimney, and designed the transition to support the weight fully on the on the two arches.

I didn't get a good picture, but I put sections on top of the inner arch to make the top even with the top of the outer arch. Then I "skinned" the gap with splits. It makes about a 2" deep smoke chamber before it transitions to the chimney. The "skin" part does not support any weight whatsoever. I saw some pictures in the photo gallery of the same concept, but skinned with stainless.

Tomorrow I will buttress the arch with concrete blocks, rebar and cement before I set the clay flue. I had the flue dry fitted on the transition before I skinned it to verify my weight distribution concept.

I will also grind a few square edges from the inside before I install the flue.

Then on to framing for a stone faced enclosure......I want Pizza! I need to wait 7 days before I start curing fires right?

Thanks for this awesome forum, May 17th I cut my first brick, I can't believe I actually built that!........I appreciate all of the past and future advice...

Comment

Originally posted by Mdog91 View Post
                      Once the top two courses were ok, I dropped the form the next day (mistake), and then I cleaned up the top of the dome as best I could. I really should have dropped the form sooner, or really just stayed with the IT.....

Then I sculpted a keystone and tapped it in!

DOME IS CLOSED!!! I am so happy!

I am little frustrated that the brick bonds really seem to be really lined up. I hope it doesn't crack too badly........I am ready for some, they will add character
                      G'day
                      Congratulations on a great job! Your right to be proud of yourself.
                      Your oven doesn't have to crack you know. If you see the ovens that crack its all those that press ahead insulate and seal all that moisture in that crack. Be patient and let that dome dry . If you using dry insulation great! But if you add pearlite cement over that its damp again, you got dry it again before it can be taken to full temps.
                      In the drying times sunshine and wind is your best mate. 150 watt light bulbs are your friend. Charcoal is you best buddy. Anything with flame is your worst nightmare.
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

MD,

Nice feeling to place the plug in isn't. Wow started May 17 and you have the dome done. I started May 2011 and still not done completely with my oven.
                        Russell

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                          G'day
                          Congratulations on a great job! Your right to be proud of yourself.
                          Your oven doesn't have to crack you know. If you see the ovens that crack its all those that press ahead insulate and seal all that moisture in that crack. Be patient and let that dome dry . If you using dry insulation great! But if you add pearlite cement over that its damp again, you got dry it again before it can be taken to full temps.
                          In the drying times sunshine and wind is your best mate. 150 watt light bulbs are your friend. Charcoal is you best buddy. Anything with flame is your worst nightmare.
                          Regards dave
                          Thanks Dave, I am trying to remain very patient with the drying process. As much as I want to start my fires, I am sticking to the schedule. Thankfully we have had nice weather since I laid the last brick. It is warm, sunny and actually a bit windy. I left the oven sit for 4 days so far with no additional drying assistance. I may add a 150 watt bulb or a ceramic heater tomorrow and run it for a few days before continuing.

I am using ceramic blanket and dry vermiculite as well. I do not plan on adding any additional moisture.

thanks again,
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                            MD,

Nice feeling to place the plug in isn't. Wow started May 17 and you have the dome done. I started May 2011 and still not done completely with my oven.
                            Great feeling!, Just the dome is done, I still have to do the enclosure and the rest of the counter/prep area. Is a project ever "really" done?

Just like your oven, your copper scales looks great and are a testament to your skill and patience. I wish I had the attention to detail that you display.

Comment

You and I are on a similar schedule. You are a bit ahead of me. It has been non- stop on time off and all weekend long. I will be watching as you finalize things. I still have a lot to do to get to the point of closing the dome and then building the rest of my arch and chimney.

I am going to stop by Forno Bravo tomorrow and buy more fire brick. The 140 that they gave me is not going to make it.

Next I am going to pick up the equipment for the chimney. This will be the 8" version as I am building a 42" model. Time to start researching how I will do this part.

Good luck.
                              Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Originally posted by Mdog91 View Post
                                Great feeling!, Just the dome is done, I still have to do the enclosure and the rest of the counter/prep area. Is a project ever "really" done?
                                Mike,
                                Congratulations on plugging your dome. It looks like things are progressing nicely, soon you'll be cooking with wood!

From my current experience the project can really blossom into multiple additional projects. I'm now a year into my build "with a winter break" and I'm just finishing up my enclosure and counter top area. The configuration of my counter has now prompted me to start contemplating my next project, a brick patio. But I am going to take a breather both mentally and financially and start that next year.
                                Chris

Link to my photo album:
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Working...
                                X