outdoor kitchen and oven base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: outdoor kitchen and oven base

I got it now....Mayan pyramid-ish. Yeah, I would be thinking about issues with the membrane. Consider the felt...two layers would do the trick.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Oh yeah...an internet acquaintance of mine, a professional stone mason, built an enclosure the way you are planning. But his is completely made from stone, top to bottom. I'll ask him how he dried it in.
      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter, first let me thank you for your help and thoughts.The vapor/air barrier made by tremco is a excellent product. Being a peel and stick product a person needs another mason to help to install it,as once it sticks to itself you are done. There also is a solvent based primer,sort of like contact cement and tremco urges you to treat all joints/splice with tremco spectrum one caulk which is good to 400 degrees. The only mistakes you can make are improper laps, min. 3 inches and starting at the bottom and working upwards to achieve a shingled result. I fully realize it will require monitoring and some up keep compared to a roofed structure but I feel I can make it weather tight. Just need to make sure I do not have a "melt down" per say. Oh and I did forget that eventually I would like to build a segmented roof structure over the kitchen and oven, so I should be safe after that is done.
        Last edited by Campmaki; 05-15-2014, 04:57 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Had a productive weekend working on the oven entry and dome. Posting a few pictures of progress. Laid out entry, cut and shimmed brick with plastic spacers. That took a day. Thank you John from California for your expertise on that part of the build. Started laying first course Friday, racking away from entry. Put in 5 courses and then filled back into arch. Saturday put in 3 more courses. Just 1 course Sunday as other work needed to get done. Hope to finish dome this Saturday and start vent on Sunday. Had a little leftover mortar so I decided to parge the outside of the firebrick, give it a little extra strength not that it needs it. I am using the homebrew mortar and works like a dream. Plus I am adding a tablespoon of liquid sodium silicate. This makes my homebrew just like the heatstop at a fraction of the cost. Before I left to come home I had to take the arch template out, could not wait.
          Last edited by Campmaki; 05-27-2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

A few more pictures. The last one I found somewhere online. This is the look I am after. Not a gabled house but steps inward, these will be granite slabs in one piece. Eliminating all the joints in the brick that face upwards. Eventually I will build a segmented roof over the kitchen and oven. Stonecutter is this the type of build your friend did? Know you had mentioned you would ask him how he did his waterproofing. As far as the veneer goes, I have used all my ashlar pattern limestone. Now I will switch to brick. Flemished bond and clean sharp "V" joints, stuck with a sled on the beds. This will make for brickwork that looks like paneling, super straight and clean.
            Last edited by Campmaki; 05-27-2014, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Not quite but similar. He built it with stone, and it was coursed, dry laid work. I never asked him how he dried it in, since you didn't say if you wanted me to. I can if you want to know, it's no trouble.

I like Flemish,it's definitely one if my favorite bonds, a V will compliment it nicely. I will suggest that you pitch the cap on the steps a bit to encourage water to run away from the oven. You probably were going to do that, but it's worth a mention if somebody wondered about it.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Btw, your brickwork looks clean..nice job.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Wayne,
                  Incredible progress you've made with so much detail in such a short time! I'm envious of your skill and you have what will soon be a top-notch oven.
                  Great job!
                  John

Comment

Stonecutter, if you wouldn't mind ask your pal how he waterproofed his oven. Any thoughts on what I could do with the entry veneer arch. Love your build with the granite arch, but do not know if I would have the room width wise for that configuration, with my steps. Really need something to highlight the entry, other than face brick. Thoughts???? thanks and thank you John for your compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
                      Stonecutter, if you wouldn't mind ask your pal how he waterproofed his oven. Any thoughts on what I could do with the entry veneer arch. Love your build with the granite arch, but do not know if I would have the room width wise for that configuration, with my steps. Really need something to highlight the entry, other than face brick. Thoughts???? thanks and thank you John for your compliments.
                      Ok I'll reach out to him.

What about a bonded semi circular arch? Maybe use a different color brick if you want it to stand out more.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Campmaki,
                        Build is looking very nice and I am envious of the speed! Could you comment on the setting of your IT? It looks like you have it below floor level. Is this to intentionally lower the roof a bit, or was it just a good retention method?

Comment

There are a few brick left out so I could get the pivot point flush with the floor, this will give me 21 inches of height to the ceiling of the oven. My oven is 42 inch diameter. So my first course above the floor has some inward pitch. Felix I see you are from Wisconsin, where in Wisconsin?
                          Last edited by Campmaki; 05-28-2014, 04:04 PM. Reason: additional verbage

Comment

He said he used a membrane under the stone, but didn't specify what exactly. Also, the stone on the roof was mortar backed, and sealed...and the are pitched, not stepped. I asked him about what type of membrane he used....I'll get back to you.

If you are sticking with the step design and are using the adhesive backed membrane, then you will eyed to maximize your insulation beyond the standard I think...to avoid drool or bonding issues related to heat bleeding through the insulation.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I am up and over in Cumberland. Trying to get traction to get beyond the base and get building the dome! We get around Stevens Point occasionally... I would love to see your set up. Carl

Comment

Beautiful work Mate!

You make it look easy.

Looking forward to seeing the continued progress.

All the best

Bert
                                Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Working...
                                X