Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sakrete Maximizer

Originally posted by edsiajb View Post
    For my area, the entire hearth will cost about $15 more using the Maximizer.
    I should have said that (for my area) a 80 lb bag of regular Sakrete is about $4, and a 80 lb bag of Maximizer is $7.50. But 80 lbs. of Maximizer provides 67% more volume of material...so far less bags are needed...and for my entire hearth it will cost about $15 more to use the Maximizer.

Comment

I should have said that (for my area) a 80 lb bag of regular Sakrete is about $4, and a 80 lb bag of Maximizer is $7.50. But 80 lbs. of Maximizer provides 67% more volume of material...so far less bags are needed...and for my entire hearth it will cost about $15 more to use the Maximizer.
      but why spend the extra money? You don't want any heat transfer to your hearth. At all. Buy $15 more insulation. That's where you want to put your money.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
        but why spend the extra money? You don't want any heat transfer to your hearth. At all. Buy $15 more insulation. That's where you want to put your money.
        Because it is stronger??? (5500 psi vs 3500 psi - not that 3500 is not strong enough). The other thought is that it would be less of a heat sink than the regular concrete (since it has air in the aggregate).

Seemed like a good idea, but that is why I was asking.

Comment

regular concrete is more than strong enough to hold an oven. As to the heat properties, if it is a heat sink at all then you have built your oven wrong.
          My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            regular concrete is more than strong enough to hold an oven. As to the heat properties, if it is a heat sink at all then you have built your oven wrong.
            OK...thanks. I'm planning on a 4" (not 3.5") insulating layer of 5:1 vermiculite/concrete. Is that sufficient insulation under the oven floor and dome?

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              Regular 4000 psi concrete mix, .6 CuFt 80# bag - $3.70 (this is real concrete mix, not big box fence post garbage).

5500 psi Maximizer, 1 CuFt 80# bag - $6.75
              I meant to ask, when you say garbage, is it because the ready mix plants batch the big box bags with inferior material?
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

They claim 3000 psi, but every bag that I have seen tested (not by them) came in well below that. It is suitable for setting posts, that is about it.

There are several reasons to use Maximizer:

It is strong, with the addition of fibers and latex bonding agent, you can easily pull 7-8000psi, which means instead of a 4" slab, you can use a 2" slab, thus reducing the amount needed further.

It is lightweight, so fewer bags = more coverage. This can help with persons without access to a truck.

The downside is that it is prone to flash setting and does not finish as well as a normal good concrete mix.

Comment

The only one I've used in the past was the 5000 psi from quick crete, and I added acrylic to boot.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                  John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                    It is lightweight, so fewer bags = more coverage. This can help with persons without access to a truck......
                    And in my case, will save an extra 50 mile round trip in my truck as I can haul all of the Maximizer for the hearth in one load.

Comment

And in my case, will save an extra 50 mile round trip in my truck as I can haul all of the Maximizer for the hearth in one load.
                      Well that's worth the $15 right there, probably just in gas.
                      My build progress

Comment

Working...
                      X