Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Build Underway in Central Alabama

Originally posted by edsiajb View Post
    Thanks! Regarding Gulf's build and my comments, I'm sure there are other builds out there that deserve similar accolades. But I've studied Gulf's photos and build in depth. I just haven't had time to study the others (yet).
    I suggest that you take the time to study other builds. Mine is a little outside of the box .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Laid the floor today. This was more difficult than I expected - primarily because of slight variances in size from one fire brick to the next. I ended up with a few gaps that are a bit wider than I would have preferred. But I don't think I was left with anything that a peel would catch on!

Testing the fit of the dome first course:

Comment

Looks great!
        You will be in spec without it but, some calsil under your floor will improve your oven floor performance .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

With a herringbone floor, 1/4" differences will not cause an issue, and any gaps will fill with ash. Looks great!

Comment

Forgot to mention that I had a couple of high spots on the vermicucrete surface. I took them down with a diamond cup on a side grinder. It took almost 2 seconds! I was very surprised at how well the vermicucrete machined - and how good it looked after grinding.

Comment

If you used a grinder on vermicrete and did not destroy it you may have used too stiff a mix. What was the ratio you used?

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                Looks great!
                You will be in spec without it but, some calsil under your floor will improve your oven floor performance .
                Now that the floor brick are set, would it be worth tearing them out to add the calsil board?

Comment

Now that the floor brick are set, would it be worth tearing them out to add the calsil board?
                  Probably not, if they are "set". But, they should be just laying there sort of "free-floating".

I didn't mean to alarm you. 4" of vcrete is in spec, without additonal insulation underneath the floor. It is just a matter of choice. Some of us have added insulation under there to the point of diminishing returns .

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                    If you used a grinder on vermicrete and did not destroy it you may have used too stiff a mix. What was the ratio you used?
                    5.5:1 - vermiculite: portland

Comment

Close enough for government work.

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies and encouraging words!

"technically perfect" probably won't be achieved in our build - but it's a great goal! I think our oven will be "family perfect"...and I am looking forward to the times we can use it. And, by the way, my wife and all three of our teenagers have been involved so far - they just haven't all made the photos. Yes, it has been hard but fun work so far...
                        G'day
                        I like that term " family perfect" I recon it should be used more often
                        Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Another update with a few more photos of progress. Summer has become more busy and I've had less time to work on the project - but I have started making mortar (1:1:1:3 recipe) and laying a few brick.

I forgot to account for my cardboard spacer (covered with blue painter's tape) adding to my floor diameter:

Floor with first chain:

Comment

I started off with an IT made from 1/4 all-thread and a small tripod ball head (later discovered that Hendo's original tool used a tripod head). I was very happy with it until I realized that it would work great on the first couple of chains, but then start adding unnecessary height as the chains got higher and higher - eventually adding about 2" to the upper chains.

So I redesigned the pivot end of my IT using a padlock hasp/hinge. I also used epoxy and a large fender washer to add strength to the Masonite:

My IT and folding Masonite template (shimmed in place due to cardboard spacer around floor brick):

Comment

Hey looks like things are going well so far with block. May I ask were you getting refractory goods? Do you have a place in your area? Down here in LA, lower Al tough time getting any light motar and other goods. Could you lead me in the right direction. I have slab down and waiting for end of summer to start block and brick. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by TicoCM View Post
                                Hey looks like things are going well so far with block. May I ask were you getting refractory goods? Do you have a place in your area? Down here in LA, lower Al tough time getting any light motar and other goods. Could you lead me in the right direction. I have slab down and waiting for end of summer to start block and brick. Good luck
                                I live near Tuscaloosa and got my fire brick and fire clay at Willcutt. I'm making my own 1:1:1:3 mortar, and so far I like it. The only high heat mortar I could find in the area was Firerock (it is actually called an adhesive - for modular fire places. It is polymer based, which made me nervous).

I am actually from LA (Jackson - Clarke County). Where are you?
                                Last edited by edsiajb; 12-10-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X