Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northwest PA 36" oven build

Scott,

Great looking faux brick finish! Don't be surprised if something similar, shows up on the forum, from time to time, and time again. Also, I think that the round hearth slabs will be the key to keeping the igloo style ovens dry. That is, those without a roof over them. I am watching your build with great interest .

I realize that the stencils are cut to fit the form. I was just wondering if the stencils could be cleaned and reused?
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The stencil I used is paper based with some sort of coating (maybe wax) Once they are used they are garbage unfortunately. They do make plastic stencils but I have no experience with them.

My oven will have a house and roof over it. My current plan is a round house finished in stonework (I've been collecting black rocks for the last few months) with either a conical or octagonal roof finished in cedar shingles. But... I usually change plans as projects progress. We will see.

Comment

Took the forms off the insulation layer this morning as it seemed nice and set at this point. Did a dry layout with my oven template and starter coarse to make sure everything is going to fit right before I get any further.

My plan right now is to get the floor bricks cut and ready so I can start laying brick this Saturday.

I've been trying to keep my kids (4 and 7) involved as much as possible at this point. My oldest boy loves helping with my projects. Getting ready to go out in the jeep and go rock hunting in our favorite spot

Comment

Nice looking start. Will be following your build closely.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Great day today with lots of progress.

Took my kids out in the jeep to our favorite rock picking spot.

My helpers

Comment

Some of the rocks we brought home

floor all ready to lay in. Got it finished a bit quicker than I thought I would. I'll get it in place tomorrow morning and maybe find some time to get my first chain or two in place.

Comment

Hi Scott,
                I think you had better place that hearth on some insulation or you`ve a disaster in the making, a terrible oven but a fantastic heat sink.

Comment

Scott,

My mistake, now I see that your hearth is not in place on the supports, but you just laid it out. Keep on keeping on.

Comment

Oven floor in place.

Hopefully tonight I'll make enough time to get the first two chains of brick in place.

Comment

your cruising right along....
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Nice job, did you mortar the space between the bricks after they set up to get that look.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                          Nice job, did you mortar the space between the bricks after they set up to get that look.
                          On the patio? If so its not brick, its stenciled concrete.

Comment

Hi
                            I read further in your posts and watched the you tube video
                            thanks Bill

Comment

Made some progress today. I'm definitely no bricklayer. But I'm getting the job done and having fun in the process.

Hoping to get the dome finished in less than two weeks. I'm racing the weather... I figure I only have 6-8 weeks till the snow starts to fly

Comment

Very nice! start there Scott,
                                Are you using an IT! Throw a little dry sand on it, or cut some cardboard to fit your floor. As the courses increase, so does the dropped mortar .
                                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X