Northwest PA 36" oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northwest PA 36" oven build

Love the round concrete and pillar style your got going tell me is the 6 in insulation the norm ?
    How big is the ovens inner diameter
    What is the height on the oven floor from the patio ?
    Thanks

Comment

No IT... at least not yet. I do have a floor template, just forgot to put it in when I started today.

Comment

Originally posted by scottwr View Post
        No IT... at least not yet. I do have a floor template, just forgot to put it in when I started today.
        The IT, will make life easier as you progress .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Looking great so far. Your patio is very impressive. Lots of forethought and hard work. You may want to put some blue tape over your cardbaoard covering your floor to reduce the mortar between the dome and the floor. Ashes will fill the joint rather than mortar droppings. Keep posting pics. Winter is just around the corner.
          jon
          jon

Comment

Finished chain #5 today in the rain

Made the entry arch template and placed a few brick pieces I had laying around just too see how the arch might shape up. Still have some work to do on the arch but... its starting to look more and more like an oven.

As I was standing in the kitchen cleaning up after working outside all day I could not help taking one last picture. This is going to be the perfect placement for this oven. I can keep an eye on the fire from the kitchen window while doing prep I can almost smell the wood smoke

Comment

Managed to get the entry arch finished today. I'll take the form off tomorrow and see if she stays up. Going to be slower progress for the next few days. Hoping to do a chain a night if I can find some time.

Comment

Looks good !

Comment

You are building this at record pace....keep it up and you will be cooking in no time. Just get it completely done before you start cooking lol. Once you cook in it, your finish speed will be greatly affected
                  Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Finally got past the entry arch tonight (chain 7 finished). Pretty excited that side to side i'm within 1/8" of being level. Not too bad for not using an IT.

Hope to spend a few hours tomorrow night and most of the day Saturday working on the dome. I think I'll be able to close it up in less than a week. Not sure how I'm going to support the last few chains of the dome as I have not needed the IT and can't see myself making one as far as I have gotten without one.

Now if I could just decide how to finish off the oven. To build an enclosure or not... I see it finished in my head both ways and can't decide which one I like best.

Comment

Looking really good so far and at a record pace. It's hard to tell from the pics but it appears the sides of your arch are leaning outwards. You may want to check it more closely and maybe consider some butress on the sides of your arch. better safe than sorry later.
                      jon

Comment

Arch is not leaning. Its just the cheap lens on smartphone

Thinking of flying buttresses

Comment

The arch should be stabilised by the dome that it intersects with. The outer arch is where the buttress is needed.

Looking good.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Greenman is correct. My error....sorry for the confusion.
                            jon

Comment

Please forgive me, if I am wrong, for adding more confusion. But, from the pics, I don't see much "tying in" of the inner arch and the dome going on here .
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf, I agree, I think there is some, but not much. Any vertical-sided entryway will benefit from buttressing as well, particularly if there is any considerable weight on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X