• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: ventilation in the enclosure

Originally posted by Madsen View Post
    Hi Gulf, Yes well it will then only be 1 side gabled..........But its just to make sure condensation is not being made. Thats why i'd like some ventilation, but also have the chance to block the outside air when using the WFO, and then have them open when not using it, allowing the enclosure to breath - and ofc in a way so no rain etc can get in..........Think ill make 2 vents. 1 on either side, with the possibility to close them off. this can be done fairly cheap I think.........
    I'm not sure what "1 side gabled" means. But, install a couple of low points under an eve near to the front but to the side of your enclosure for inlets. Exhaust at a higher point, prefeably to the rear of your enclosure.

A vent in the front, above your ovens entry, may be a way for flames to get to your wooden roof structrure. That would probably never happen, unless you had to much of a fire load in your oven.

Better safe than sorry.

Maybe a sketch or a pic of what you intend to build would help .

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

I used two small round 2" louvred aluminum vents near the top of the walls of my enclosure. My logic was that this gives an opportunity for moisture to vent our without creating much air flow in the enclosure....

Leave a comment:

• Madsen
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    A "gabled" roof would be similar to Tractor's design. Here in this link to one of his pics.
    Hi Gulf, Yes well it will then only be 1 side gabled.

@ Davis, all the perlite and the ceramic blanket and everything els is 100% dry well atleast 99% dry.. But its just to make sure condensation is not being made. Thats why i'd like some ventilation, but also have the chance to block the outside air when using the WFO, and then have them open when not using it, allowing the enclosure to breath - and ofc in a way so no rain etc can get in.

Think ill make 2 vents. 1 on either side, with the possibility to close them off. this can be done fairly cheap I think.

Thanks for the input.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

In my opinion, at least "some" venting is a good thing for any enclosed structure. Two vents work much better than one, for sure. Whatever you can do to get even a bit of air movement is good. As was mentioned earlier, just be sure to keep the critters out and not let any rain/snow in. You want to keep it dry, but w/a bit of air movement. That's optimal.
    Last edited by NCMan; 09-01-2014, 05:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Water or steam reduces your insulation layer's capacity to insulate properly. A vent for an oven enclosure certainly would help remove any moisture, however if your insulation has been added dry there should be little to remove. A vent is far more important for an igloo dome which is more subject to weather and water entry. Also because of the differing construction method the vermiculite or perlite is mixed with cement and a large amount of water. It is this water removal that becomes the problem that the vent can help deal with.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

A "gabled" roof would be similar to Tractor's design. Here in this link to one of his pics.

Leave a comment:

• Madsen
    replied

It Will have overhang on all sides. If gabled means not flat, then yes - it will push the water down and over the edge.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

A vent, in the front, would help with cross ventilation. But, there may be another way. Is your roof going to have an overhang? Also, will it be gabled or flat?

Leave a comment:

• Madsen
    replied

Perfect Gulf - Then i have the correct vent in my garage somewhere. Just thought if it was open all time, the heat would run out Would you suggest only 1 vent ? i'd also put it in the rear and top (above the perlite level)

Its going to be a roof tar paper ? if you call it that... I just Google translated it. (with a Wood board underneath) Like alot of garages etc is made in Denmark.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I would vent it. But, there is no need to buy a special vent. Or, close it off when you are firing. That is when the moisture is driven out. Your ceramic fiber blanket and loose filled perlite will take care of the heat loss. You can easily design a vent that will keep the rain out of your oven but, will also allow the enclosure to breath. Just include some type of bug and rodent mesh into you design .

From looking at your build pics, I would suggest putting it near the top and to the rear. What type of roof are you going with over the enclosure?

Leave a comment:

• Madsen
    started a topic ventilation in the enclosure

ventilation in the enclosure

Hi,

Do I need to have ventilation in regards to the perlite I have inside my enclosure for condensation, or can I simply seal it off with foam etc. so no air can get in or out. Im thinking about the temp differense.

If needed my idea was to put a vent in each side that can be closed when I fire the WFO, so there is no heat loss from air passing in/out the enclosure. But if its just Money Down the drain, id rather not buy it, as my budget was already used before i started to build the enclosure :-/

Thanks!
Working...
X