Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• josiahsanner
    replied
    Awesome build and great looking Pie. I am feeling inspired...but it is pouring rain outside, and I can't get my stand built till next week. I did get the pad poured and working on finalizing my dome designs. Anything you would have done differently now that you are using your WFO (other than build it years ago)? Size, Insulation, height, door opening etc?

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Did a couple of pizza sessions over the past few nights. Four pies in yesterday, four today.

Yesterday used a 65% hydration dough. Rose quite nice, but a bit too wet, sticky to handle. Crust taste and texture was good though. Changed to a 60% hydration for tonight's dough. Much better to handle for my circumstances. Dough was still moist, pliable, just slightly sticky. After cooking the crust still had nice crumb and texture. Might try a 62%. Been going by weight with regards to the dough recipe. Caputo Tipo Blue Bag.

Todays fire was hotter than yesterday's. After the burn down i banked the embers on the side of the floor and got great color on top and bottom.

Still mixing things up to improve results. Once the initial fire gets going I've been pushing it from the entry into the middle of the floor, then when ready to cook i push the embers to the side, swab the floor, and cook.

Next time I'm going to move the fire to the side of the dome and let it burn down there. Then swab the floor and cook in the middle. See how the top cooks versus the bottom. I feel my floor has been too hot compared to the dome.

My dough shaping and handling needs to improve. Cooking technique has improved with each pie.

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Something certainly happened, because im full! Lol

Leave a comment:

• WarEagle90
    replied
    No pics? Didn't happen . Sounds like a great meal, Mongo. I especially like the roasted peaches and nilla ice cream, mmmm, mmmmm, good.

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Whelp, the first WFO meal was tonight, but no pics! It wasn't really planned, it just happened. Roast chicken, plus roasted asparagus and onions. Picked a few peaches off the trees, sliced them up and put them in the oven for about 10 minutes, then served them over vanilla ice cream for desert. Pretty darn bueno.

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    I appreciate the kind words, thanks Lee!

I'm going to let the shell rest a bit, next up I think I'll come up with a plan for the decorative front arch and vent assembly. I'll probably end up casting a decorative front arch, two side pieces (one for each side of the vent arch), and a cap for the top of the vent arch that the chimney stove pipe will pass through.

I might try to take a photo of the front of the oven and convert it to a line drawing via photoshop. Then try out some sketches on that drawing to see if I can get reasonably pleasing proportions.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied
    Mongo, your build shows exceptional conceptional planning and remarkable details. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Second coat of Thoroseal. Added a little carbon black colorant.

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Got home last night after a few days being out of town, so today was the day to get the first coat of Thoroseal on the dome. Painted it on, worked it into the surface, then back brushed it. Really helped to wet the dome first to minimize the Thoroseal siezing on the dry shell.

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Thanks.

I have it covered with a concrete curing blanket. It's a burlap and poly blanket. Not perfect, as the blanket doesn't conform perfectly well to the compound curves of the dome shape. But it helps hold the moisture in. when I pull the blanket off to re-wet the dome, it's still a bit damp.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Misting the surface thenconcrete strength on curing letting it dry again is not actually a good way to cure it. Concrete really requires constant humidity or wetting for the curing to work properly. Covering it with plastic is a better way to hold the moisture in constantly. Having said that, they guys who render houses never cover their work or even wet it down and the stuff doesn’t fall off. You’ll be fine.

concrete strength on curing
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-mi...ement-concrete
    Last edited by david s; 07-21-2018, 12:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Only took one day of misting the stucco shell to encourage me to dig around in the basement so I could up-size from the 16oz hand-held spray bottle that I used while building the brick dome to the 2-1/2 gallon garden sprayer. lol

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Originally posted by ASPLM View Post
    How long are you going to let the stucco cure before your next fire?
    I'm giving the stucco a week, actually 8 days, of cure before I waterproof it with a couple coats of Thoroseal. I'll then give the Thoroseal a few days to cure/dry before I run another fire.

Over the course of the current 8-day cure, the shell is being misted down several times a day. If I was not doing Thoroseal, I'd not have a problem firing the oven after those 8 days. I'd start with a low fire and after a couple hours I'd check the stucco shell for excessive warmth, with the warmth indicating moisture. If the stucco remained fairly cool, then I'd have no problem running a hot fire.

One thing to note is that the stucco shell is not my finished exterior surface. If it was, I'd have probably done a 3-coat application. I'll be covering the stucco shell with a ~4" thick veneer of mortared stone. The stone, I have plenty of it from my property. I'm contemplating the idea of leaving a gap between the stone dome and the stucco dome so structurally and thermally they will be independent of one another, but...I think that will be unnecessary.
    Last edited by mongota; 10-13-2020, 12:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ASPLM
    replied
    How long are you going to let the stucco cure before your next fire?

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Mongo,

That is the best insulation job that I have seen. Great job!
    Looks like a snow igloo under the hot summer sun. Lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X