Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rand18m
    replied
    Well I've been derelict in posting final pics although I did get one up when wall was done last year. Thought I better put up a few of the castle doors I made for the hearth arch. Been almost a year since finishing this project and we have had a great time learning and treating friends with this oven. Many groups have come and all are awed by such an oven, something not normally seen in West Texas. ;-)

It took some time to figure out the technique on the doors. I learned it's one thing to make them look 100 years old, another to make them look 1000 years old. I think we did ok on getting the effect wanted. The pictures really don't do them justice in depth and color compared to in person.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied
    Re: New 38 Build in Central Texas

Lol! I bet you're right, that's not the first quasi door to end up in a pile.
    Good to know temps sound about right.
    Propane is for the pear burner used to start the fire. Makes it easy.

And yes have the other side of the arch form. But no problem to make a template.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

yep, those temps sound about right. we have all had a door turn into a pile of ash i think. I hope you have another arch template to make your door?

what do use the propane burner for? deep fryer? is that going to be part of the kitchen ?

Texman

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

No likely not, the wood will be right outside a gate that's behind the oven area in a rack so no wood underneath. I'm building miniature castle or Gothic Church doors if you will. Should look pretty cool. Will keep tools, burner etc underneath. I have propane piped in underneath the oven so the burner will always been attached and have a fuel source.

After using last night and before going in I took one of the oven arch supports used to put decorative rock up inside the oven as a door. Was afraid it might not be there this am and it wasn't. LOL

I checked the temp in the oven and I still got 450 at the top and 380-400 on the sides next to the floor. I'm a newbie but I'm thinking not bad considering it didn't have a door likely for long and it was 13 hours later! :-)

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Very Nice! i like that tool holder design. Will you keep the wood storage open on both ends ? that is nice for loading wood from the back instead of lugging through the kitchen area.

Texman

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Well finally got the wall finished and the final firing done. First time since it was insulated, however more insulation coming. Have 3" of blanket but will enclose and fill with insulation at some point. Decided to go ahead and cook a few things, the roasted veggies and chicken was very good. The dome cleared so I assume pizza would have worked well with that fire. First attempt there next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Thanks David!

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by rand18m View Post
    Yes the inspector gave me the go for a wood fire so I built one! ;-)

I too have a few cracks, one quite long near the front arch up towards the top. It expands when heated. As stated above the thing is going to move when it gets hot no matter what. The cracks I've seen so far are tiny and no signs of smoke or anything. I'm going to make a big fire today and may get bigger than I intend, I feel it coming.

I also saw 250ish low on the walls, 400 in the middle and 650 at the top on the last fire. The floor around the edges was barely 200. So it may be time for a full fire truth be known.
    Those big temp differences you are getting are indicative of moisture still present in the lower parts of the oven and the resulting difference in expansion rates. This is just the time when you need to take the temp rise slowly. The drier upper oven will tend to make the combustion pretty efficient and the temp will gallop ahead (not really what you want) there will be a persistent ring of black soot around the base of the dome to indicate incomplete drying. Take it easy until this has gone.

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

good luck! Keep up the good work

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Yes the inspector gave me the go for a wood fire so I built one! ;-)

I too have a few cracks, one quite long near the front arch up towards the top. It expands when heated. As stated above the thing is going to move when it gets hot no matter what. The cracks I've seen so far are tiny and no signs of smoke or anything. I'm going to make a big fire today and may get bigger than I intend, I feel it coming.

I also saw 250ish low on the walls, 400 in the middle and 650 at the top on the last fire. The floor around the edges was barely 200. So it may be time for a full fire truth be known.

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello Rand18M

Is that the building inspector doing a once through for you?

Have you got your insulated door made up.
    I did a weeks worth of propane firing to the mid 350s then started a small wood fire that went no higher than 450 in the dome but I noticed that the lower sections of the dome were about 200 to 250. The second wood fire I noticed a small crack in the inner arch. It opens up as the oven heats and closes when it cools. On reading through a lot of threads on curing I got the idea that I may not have allowed the bottom half of the dome to fully dry out and therefore not heat up at the same rate as the upper sections of the dome.
    I now have an insulated door so I am firing the oven then closing it up to contain the heat. This morning the lower part of the dome was still 260 degrees. The top of the dome had started at about 600.
    I also notice that the soot tide line is moving lower in the oven.

I will post photos of my door later. It is 2" thick fiber blanket and fiber board contained in steel. Wood outer part.

David

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Well the weather has delayed the final two curing fires but after three propane fires I did get a wood cure done. Likely do one more similar in size and then go full temp.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by rand18m View Post
    Thanks Garner! What an awesome build yours is. Enjoyed looking at the album.
    Did you encounter any problems with the curing process? Fix any cracks etc?

Once cured and any cracks fixed I'll get the rock wall done. I think there are some pics from the back where the length of the outdoor kitchen and a bit of the pool can be seen. Should look real nice when that wall and the decorative arches are up. Oh and before that wall goes up or even insulation I expect pizza will be cooked. All equipment, flour and tomatoes will be here within the week.

Thanks for the look neighbor!
    I think you will have some normal cracks but as far as fixing them, unless they are catastrophic, I dont think fixing them is worth attempting. The thing has to move a little and a couple of hairline cracks is where that will happen. It looks like yours is structurally sound and I dont think you will have any major problems. Your great grandkids will get good use of this oven!
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 02-24-2015, 04:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Thanks Garner! What an awesome build yours is. Enjoyed looking at the album.
    Did you encounter any problems with the curing process? Fix any cracks etc?

Once cured and any cracks fixed I'll get the rock wall done. I think there are some pics from the back where the length of the outdoor kitchen and a bit of the pool can be seen. Should look real nice when that wall and the decorative arches are up. Oh and before that wall goes up or even insulation I expect pizza will be cooked. All equipment, flour and tomatoes will be here within the week.

Thanks for the look neighbor!

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Nice build neighbor. Everyday more and more of these in our great state.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X