X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rand18m
    replied
    Re: New 38 Build in Central Texas

Thanks, yea if I was enclosing the dome I think that's exactly what I would do as well. This will basically be in a storage room that nobody but myself for the most part will ever see. If I end up thinking that it needs more insulation I'll add another layer of blanket. If the looks get to bothering me then I might trowel on a vermiculite cement but I don't see that happening. Never know though, going a while without a project I might get bored.

Thanks for the reply!

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

@Rand

I'd have to let the true experts chime in if you need the vermicrete but IMHO you don't need it. Mine will be enclosed as well but instead of putting vermicrete all over I'm going to just fill the enclosure around the dome with Vermiculite. It is pretty cheap stuff and will only assist in your insulation of the dome. Maybe just buy a couple bags and fill them up so your oven is complete covered. This goes much faster then having to make a vermicrete mixture and the time it takes to cover the dome with it.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Also if I ever do another, and I believe I would. Hasn't been too bad of a project, not considering a friend and I did the entire back yard, including the pool and spa ourselves, this part has been the fun part. Anyway the first thing I would do is buy a decent 12" compound miter saw and add a water attachment. Then when the project is done simply sell it on Craigs list or some such. Would make life much easier and cuts more precise and faster and I would expect to get the majority of my money back out of it. Likely a cheap way to go.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Never understood the inverted V. ;-)

Thanks for the kind words. Mine wasn't quite as clean as I would like but overall not too bad and in the end everything will be covered up. Need to source some ceramic blanket now.

Question for anyone, since mine is inside a building and never seen, I was planning on adding the 3-4" of blanket w/wire and leave it at that for now, see how it performs. Without the need for a top coat is it necessary for the 1" vermiculite coat?

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

I find that I am spending more time scanning through the cooking sections now.

David

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Thank you for kind comments on the build.
    I am very pleased with the way things have gone so far. This forum and all the help and advice is the reason things are working out so well.
    Having to make a trip back to Atlanta to change out a length of chimney pipe. Somehow I got a 4' length for the attic space where I should have got a 3' length. Also I went with the galvanized instead of Stainless outside. As I small section of the attic pipe will show below the ceiling I will be getting Stainless instead of galvanized.

Reading back through your build your workmanship looks excellent.
    I never managed to get the gaps between the bricks that tight. I think that when I was making the brick angle fixture I got off a bit with the side angle and never got it exactly correct. Was more concerned with the inverted "V" on the inside.

David

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Your oven looks great, very quickly done and fine craftsmanship.

Mine will have a rock wall that covers with decorative arches so nothing you see now will be seen. The room it's in is at the end of an outdoor kitchen and will basically be storage and oven.

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Yes the I used a basic pot/fish burner so a piece of plate was set on top to deflect. I let it run for a few hours today but didn't even shoot it, should be the same as yesterday. I'm done with the burner and will begin with wood now.

One more hole and your out! I bet you're ready to start heating up. I need to go check out your thread/build. (If I haven't already) ;-)

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Thank you.

Working in the attic gets old but at least it is cool up there this time of year. In the summer it can get almost too hot to work up there.

I will have to try the plate trick. I presume you mean a piece of steel plate as a deflector?

David

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

I noticed the same ring and suspected most likely from the brick but considered from the propane. I have a plate on top of the burner and it formed at the height of the plate, went away also. Last night I had about 450ish at the top and 250ish on portions of the sides, 150 or so all the way near the floor. Floor itself hot underneath burner but not much outside of that. I will be starting wood fires as soon as I return from a business trip.

I too had to box in around joists. Didn't take long. I'm ready to get some bigger fires going and let the learning process begin. Caputo and San Marzano's are on the way along with all the equip I'll need. Oh and mozzarella making supplies are already here.

Inside of your oven looks nice.

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello Rand18m

Looking good.

Looks like you had less to do to get the chimney through the roof than I did. My chimney lined up with a joist so I had to box around the joist and cut the joist out.

I am using a gas burner to heat the oven for the first few firings. I am finding that I am only getting the dome to about 300f and the hearth about 90 to 100f. I have seen that someone else is using a weed burner. That may get the temperature up higher. I did start with a weed burner but found that it was a bit difficult to control.
    I did notice a dark ring around the oven about 4 chains up from the hearth. That could be moisture condensing out from the LPG.

David

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Ok almost two weeks since last brick was laid and vent pipe installed it's going to be fire time today.

I was thinking of simply using a propane burner for the first few fires so that I can control the time and temp.

Has anyone done such and is there anyone reasons why this shouldn't be done?

If it works ok seems like an easy and efficient way in the beginning to gradually add heat but there may be some aspect I'm missing. I get burning propane produces water but I don't see it as enough to be an issue.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Oh that's awesome! I can't wait to throw the first pie on!

I have a lot of clean up, one slightly snaggal-toothed brick in front arch to clean up. Of course a good bit of joints to clean up and grout a few. Get her fired up and the rock wall done, and it's on. Glad the pipe made it through the roof tonight.

Thanks for the look and the nice comments. Your oven is super nice!

Leave a comment:

• edsiajb
    replied

That's awesome - you are making quick progress! Just wait until you fire it all the way up - prepare to be amazed. Tonight was the first time that we got ours hot enough for 90 second pizzas...it was so much fun that I'm still smiling 3 hours later!

Leave a comment:

• rand18m
    replied

Flue pipe is through the roof! YeeHaw!
    Give it a week or so and start firing up.
    Then finish that room and rock the wall in front with decorative arches top and bottom. Can't wait!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X