First Course Of Brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Course Of Brick

I Am Finally At A Stage Where It Looks Like Something. Here Is My Question...
    On Jim's Photo Essay The First Course Looks Like A Full Soldier And On The Forno Site The First Course Looks To Be A Half Brick. Is There Any Critical Difference Between The Two?

Thank You In Advance.

Bob C
    Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Hi Bob,

Jim and I did a trial layout with the first brick full height -- which did NOT work out. The sides were high and the dome curve too steep to go up without internal forms. I measured a couple of ovens here and looked at the dimensions of our refractory ovens, and Jim re-rolled the curve using a half brick and the more gentle curve. You cannot get the dome shape you want with the full high brick in the first course.

Make sense?

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Jim,

Thank you.

It does make sense...I wanted to be sure. Could not let all that labor go to waste.

Bob C.
      Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

I have to go back & reset the Yahoo photo albums. When I posted them they were in the correct order to show our initial full soldier and then how that resulted in the wrong arch structure (actually more consistent with a Napoli style oven which would only be good for pizza vs. the Tuscan style that the Pompeii is when built with the first course set as 1/2 bricks). If you look at any of the end photos you'll see that the first arch is 1/2 bricks soldier style and then the rest are 1/2 bricks flat.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X