X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• americanteek
    replied
    Re: 42" Mesa, Arizona - Corner build

Without the forms. Definitely some imperfections but nothing that won't be covered by the finish layers. It felt great to stand up on top of it and feel how solid it was. I even jumped a few times. Pretty sure it isn't going anywhere. Tomorrow morning brick time starts. I'm getting three trees put in around the outdoor kitchen area which are also getting delivered/installed tomorrow.
    Last edited by americanteek; 02-13-2015, 08:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    replied

Some love from my 5 year old.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Nice start, AT. You're gonna love being able to glance out the window to see how your fire is doing. Like Texman, I'm partial to corner builds too. Great weather ahead for you. Post lotsa pics

John

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Sounds like you have it well under control. Looks like it is time to start cutting brick. I have a corner build as well and really like it. I did not do the flared vent but they seem to be a good idea. My vent landing is short and caused some heart burn to correct, but it makes working the oven nice by not have the huge reach. Keep the pics coming!

Texman

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    replied

Originally posted by texman View Post
    Looking Good and that was a fast start! Have you considered what the floor height of your oven will be ? you might consider your height and what a comfortable floor height would be for you. I made mine higher (about bottom of elbow) and i am glad i did. I used vcrete beneath the FB board so a lot more floor insulation was gained besides the height.
    Also, what spacing of your rebar in slab did you do?

Texman
    The bottom of my hearth slab is 38", 5 blocks tall, with 3" of slab. With the fb board and the firebrick it will be pretty close to my elbow height, which is 44". I'm 6'2", and I knew I didn't want to be stooping over all the time. But my wife also didn't want it to be so high it was unusable for her, plus we are using the area around the dome as counter space, so that's the height I settled on.

For rebar I went with 3/8 and ended up using 20 10' sections. Spacing was ~8" with some extras. You can't really tell from the picture but I poured a big lintel across the top to connect the two sections of the diagonal. I built a form rather than bother with the angle iron. The lintel is 5" below the slab, so it is 8" thick in that section and has extra rebar.
    Last edited by americanteek; 02-09-2015, 01:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Looking Good and that was a fast start! Have you considered what the floor height of your oven will be ? you might consider your height and what a comfortable floor height would be for you. I made mine higher (about bottom of elbow) and i am glad i did. I used vcrete beneath the FB board so a lot more floor insulation was gained besides the height.
    Also, what spacing of your rebar in slab did you do?

Texman

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    started a topic 42" Mesa, Arizona - Corner build

42" Mesa, Arizona - Corner build

I finally took the plunge this weekend. The stand and hearth are done, not too much trouble but a lot of work for two days.

It measures 78" square (minus the diagonal) - 36 bags of 80# sakrete went into it yesterday. It will never move. I plan to finish it as an igloo. I built the base larger than I needed so it will have ~12" deep of counter space on each side of the oven.

I decided to go with the FB board and the blanket, already have those. I just need to get my firebrick from the masonry supply down the street.

I'm planning to go with an extra wide/deep flared vent area. Maybe 30" wide at the front.
Working...
X