X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Begining dome construction

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
    Les

Havn't had any problems yet, but I may just try your suggestion. Thanks!
    Its just a matter of time before you will...

The quality of those pumps is pretty good actually. Its not really a saw pump its a fountain pump, doing the bucket thing will ensure it will last the life of the project.

Another trick is to have a 5gal bucket under the drain hole and just leave it drain into the bucket. When cutting dozens of bricks in the same day especially fire brick the tray is very difficult to clean. Putting the bucket under does not allow the muck to collect on the tray. The last really big brick job we did we were making between 400-600 cuts a day..not with the HF saw..the MK. although I would like to put my HF saw to that kind of test I think that thing would take it. Its really not a bad saw for brick..tile...no luck for me..to wobbly= chipped glaze

P.S. I like the "C" clamp
    http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Finished the other half of the floor bricks. Now I have the fun task of numbering them, taking them off, and putting down the layer of clay/sand/water for them to sit on. The last picture is of one of 'hands' taking a break.
      Oven Progress
      Bread Photos
      Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
        Now I have the fun task of numbering them, taking them off, and putting down the layer of clay/sand/water for them to sit on.
        The leveling layer is designed to level off the rough surface of a vermiculite concrete pour. You may not need to do this - I didn't, just left the bricks sit on the insulation board.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Sounds good to me. I guess that means I'm sticking with 2" of insulation board on the bottom instead of four. Oh well...leaves more money for the chimney and pizza tools.
          Oven Progress
          Bread Photos
          Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Ron,

I had to use the sand/clay to fill in the small uneven spots I had. The board wanted to rock in a few spots. Someone had suggested that you leave it dry untill the leveling is complete - I would go that route if I had to do it over. It will give you more time, then again, I was cutting and placing at the same time (in 90+ degrees).

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
              The leveling layer is designed to level off the rough surface of a vermiculite concrete pour. You may not need to do this - I didn't, just left the bricks sit on the insulation board.
              I found that my bricks were not dimensionally identical, and I ended up with some minor height differences where the peel could catch. Hence the dry fireclay (which stayed dry) to pack between the low bricks and the insulation sheets. Those bricks that were OK were, like David's, placed directly on the insulation.

I didn't find that numbering and removing all the bricks was a great hassle, and I think it would have been harder to remove only those bricks that needed adjustment. And when they went back, I knew they'd be staying there! Very satisfying.

Paul.

Comment

I think i'm just going to go over the floor with a belt sander after everything is locked in. Most of the floor seems to be pretty dang smooth.
                Oven Progress
                Bread Photos
                Oven Stand Thread

Comment

I used a spare firebrick as a 'plane' to grind down the few minor elevations - it worked very well and avoided risking heavy equipment on my carefully laid brick. It also was more selective on the bricks that were ground down so that I could avoid ruining the factory finish surface on the bricks that were ok.

Marc

Comment

I chose the belt sander approach, worked great.
                    I actually did the entire hearth floor because the firebricks I used were 'wire cut'; having the texture of 60 grit sandpaper on all sides as well as being dimensionally challenged. The belt sander gave them all a finish as smooth as a baby's bottom.
                    By all means where a good mask if you choose the belt sander approach, it does create quite a cloud of dust.

RT

Comment

I second the belt sander approach. It does give the floor a very smooth feel and appearance.
                      Wade Lively

Comment

What grit on the belt worked best? I'm assuming they were trashed pretty quick, so did you use the least expensive ones?

Les...
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I used 60 grit and if my memory serves, only took 2 belts.
                          Wade Lively

Comment

I used 1 each of 80 grit and 120 grit. Bought them at Lowes. Not sure what I paid. The inside of the belts say GatorGrit brand, made in the USA

RT

Comment

Started mortaring the floor/wall bricks in today. You can see my technique improved with the later ones...much less mess. I was originally going to use all tapered bricks for a perfect semicircular dome, but I think I'm going to make a solider course on top of the floor, and then go back to the tapered bricks for the rest of the dome. That way I'll have more height clearance on the inner perimeter of the dome.
                              Oven Progress
                              Bread Photos
                              Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Finished the rest of the floor bricks. I hope to get the soldier course done tomorrow.
                                Oven Progress
                                Bread Photos
                                Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X