X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asudavew
    replied
    Re: Dave's Pics of Progress

Well here are some pictures of my insulating hearth form and partial perlcrete pour.

I also did a little tile work.

So I will post those pics too.

These first are building the forms, and leveling the top of the forms for a level cooking surface.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Bummer!
    ...Glad to hear I'm not the only one these things happen to though:-)
    I seem to spend half my time waiting for things to dry/cure/arrive.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Well I built my forms for the oven base today.(Sunday)

And then mixed my insulating layer. I began adding the mix to the forms, and blew through one bag of perlite like it was nothing...........

Unfortunately, it was the only bag in town. So I ordered two more, but they won't be here until Friday....

I will post some pics of my form and some of the tile work I started today.

Leave a comment:

• maver
    replied

Dave - when I was building my oven and looked up insulating values perlite is marginally better then vermiculite. One more nice to know item.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
    Thats good. Perlite is a lot easier to handle anyway. I hate vermiculite.
    Sweet.

That's nice to know!

I'm feeling better about this weekend!

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Thats good. Perlite is a lot easier to handle anyway. I hate vermiculite.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by maver View Post
    I second the two inches idea - then you should be far enough from the edge that you are only dealing with compression, no shearing forces. Don't add an extra step of wrapping it with mortar - needless work.
    Yep. I think that's the way I am headed.

I appreciate the input on this issue.
    I'll let everyone know how this works out.

Luckily, I finally found a garden store in town that has ONE bag of course perlite.

No vermiculite to be had. I'm not sure if one is enough... for this part.. I know I will need more later, but the owner said he can get more when I need it.

Leave a comment:

• maver
    replied

I second the two inches idea - then you should be far enough from the edge that you are only dealing with compression, no shearing forces. Don't add an extra step of wrapping it with mortar - needless work.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
    Why the extra inch of mortar? Sounds like more work. Why not just extend the vermiculite out two inches?

As long as you think that will solve the problem, I'm all for it!

Thanks for the input!

I can use all the help I can get.

Now if I could just find some vermiculite or perlite around here...............somewhere.....................! !!!

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Yes, I'm going to run the vermiculite to the outside of the dome walls.

I haven't got it all straight in my mind yet, but now you have me thinking.....

Maybe I can make it about an inch bigger all around the edges and put an inch or so of mortar around that.

What do you think?
    Why the extra inch of mortar? Sounds like more work. Why not just extend the vermiculite out two inches?

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Your walls will sit on the insulating layer to thermally isolate the oven?
    Yes, I'm going to run the vermiculite to the outside of the dome walls.

Do you plan to reinforce the edges of the poured insulating layer or extend it slightly beyond the base of the wall to avoid pressure on the corners (it can be pretty crumbly stuff)?

I haven't got it all straight in my mind yet, but now you have me thinking.....

Maybe I can make it about an inch bigger all around the edges and put an inch or so of mortar around that.

What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• maver
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    I'm gonna mark the outside of the walls. And then build a form around the marks, so that I can just pour an insulating layer right under the oven only.
    Your walls will sit on the insulating layer to thermally isolate the oven? Do you plan to reinforce the edges of the poured insulating layer or extend it slightly beyond the base of the wall to avoid pressure on the corners (it can be pretty crumbly stuff)?

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I'm gonna mark the outside of the walls. And then build a form around the marks, so that I can just pour an insulating layer right under the oven only.

Then I will lay my floor on that, with the outside walls surrounding the floor.

I hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Dave, being that this looks like a dry run, you plan to cut the firebricks for the hearth to define the floor area? I did not see that.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I think this will be my final layout.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X