• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les
    replied
    Re: Second coarse and entry

Robert,

I am only mortaring the the back edge between the coarses. We'll see what happens as the dome climbs, the cuts are going to get more and more complex.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Les, are your bricks mortared side by side for the arch wall? Top and bottoms appear so.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Les, no more street vibrations to keep you from dome completion, well...I guess you won't be doing anything Saturday (Pack vs. UNLV). Go PACK! I knew your work would shine. Temps will be dropping again quickly too. I have been preparing my site for some time now, and it is exhausting work.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Dave.

I will post them when I get the arch complete, I think it is fair to say that there may be a lot of mortar involved. If time permits, I am hoping to have that part completed this weekend.

People, thanks for the complements, but I would save it until I'm done - I have an acute sense of "crash and burn".

Les...

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Hey Les,

Can you take a few more pictures of the backside of the arch?

I think it would be helpful for people building after you.

Because I have a feeling a bunch of people will mimic you.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Yeah! I agree.

This is awesome Les.

I must copy! The oven god's tell me so.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

This:

is VERY slick. I love the notched bricks to form the upper oven reveal.

Happy-go-lucky ovens cook just as well as super perfect ovens. By the looks of your progress, you will be eating pizza well before several of us in the same stage of building
    Ain't that the truth. I'm mister 18-months-from-shovel-to-pizza, and I can vouch for that.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    However, I 'm sure there is a place in this world for super perfect ovens like yours and happy-go-lucky make-it-up-as-you-go-along ones like mine...
    Frances,
    Happy-go-lucky ovens cook just as well as super perfect ovens. By the looks of your progress, you will be eating pizza well before several of us in the same stage of building

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    I try to avoid any cold joint in masonry, unless it's a 45 degree angle (don't get much choice there), thats why I went this route.
    Les,

It looks just awesome! I debated long and hard on whether I could pull off staggered joints with the type of flared arch entry and reveal I wanted. I went the easy route . Now that I've seen yours, I know it's possible.

Keep up the great work!

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Obviously your oven just makes me want to give up and cry...
    However, I 'm sure there is a place in this world for super perfect ovens like yours and happy-go-lucky make-it-up-as-you-go-along ones like mine...

Gee, I have a problem just mentioning them both in one sentence!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

dang it Les!

Now I am reworking everything in my brain.

looks great though!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    started a topic Second coarse and entry

Second coarse and entry

Got the second coarse in tonight and I will begin the entry arch this weekend. I don't recommend taking my approach due to the difficult cuts. It was, and still is a pain. I try to avoid any cold joint in masonry, unless it's a 45 degree angle (don't get much choice there), thats why I went this route.

A few pic's here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...ndex.php?u=152

Les...
Working...
X