Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got crack!

Scott,
    Got the flour at Corti Bros. on 59th and Folsom blvd. I don't generally shop there, but I go in about once a month to check the fresh chicken or fish. They have excelent meat, cheese, and wine depts. Yesterday I happened to ask if they had any imported Italian flour....and Bingo! They import a few items from many catagories, but the few items they get tend to be the best.

Listen.... about the WPN #1. Turns out that the 9th isn't going to work for one of my main local supporters. There were three friends who really helped me alot, and this guy is one of them. I'm thinking of moving the party to a Fri. night instead. Like the 8th, or more likely the 15th. Probably not as big a deal to you, since you are so close, but I'm more worried about Acoma.
    Robert, please chime in and let me know if either of these dates will work for you.
    If not, the next available Sat night would be the one after Pres. day.
    Not uncommon for such simple and innocent things to turn a bit complicated, but I'm am now driven to make it happen.
    Scott, Acoma, please let me know what you think.

James,
    Great call. As soon as I nail down this date with my bloggers and locals I will do that. Say.... you aren't that far away. I believe Winsor is just past Sonoma State, yes? I would be honored if you could come. It would certainly help if SOMEONE knew what the &*%@ they were doing!

dusty

Comment

Dusty, depending on gathering time. My daughter and school. Just let me know, but remember, I am only one of the many interested so don't get bent on my account.
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
        don't get bent on my account.
        Listen, I don't mind some preliminary bending. All good parties require some minor tweeking. If a Friday, say 3:30- 4:30ish will work, let me know.

dusty

Comment

If it is to be a Friday, then I will be glad to attend by myself. My daughter has school till 3:30. This does sound easer than the family because I would be doing a round trip.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

I knew there were a few merchants who were buying the 55lb Caputo bags through their local wholesaler and breaking it up. You are lucky to have them.

Dusty, I have ended up on the Monterey peninsula -- a long trek to Sacto. Being from Modesto, I know the valley well, but I have to take a raincheck this time. Thank you very much for the invite. Also, let me know if there is anything I can do to help with your gathering. We will definitely send flour and tomatoes. Let's see how big it gets -- maybe we can send raffle prizes. :-)

Ask Jim about that...

James
            Last edited by james; 01-26-2008, 12:10 AM.
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi Dusty.................our spiritual party could be fun..................

4pm Friday with you sees me at 2am Saturday morning. Can't vouch for the state of the pizzas (unless I stay 'on the wagon' till then)............

Comment

Dusty,

James was kind enough to send me raffle prizes (Caputo flour, T-shirts, aprons, plus pizza serving tools) for my annual Mary G's Artisan Breads bash last May. Believe me, it was not only generous but a big hit among the guests. If James is willing, I'd accept. It was a real treat. This year's bread bash will have an Italian theme, so I'm practising my pizza forming and reading up on regional Italian breads. Speaking of which, I just got a copy of Daniel Leader's Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers (New York: W. W. Norton, 2007). It contains some really fine formulas and unusual techniques, including Italian bread and pizza recipes that make it well worth the price. Just a plain good read, too.

Jim
                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Inish, Frances,
                  Hey, get with it you two (and families): Dusty's cool. Travel is on the house!
                  Just THE Boss ( and clients?)you've got to sweet-talk.
                  Gees fellers, as soon as I finish formatting my invitation, I'll accept. Mad not to, eh.

On a more serious note Dusty, if you're still here. (Tell me, is that sentence rhetorical, or just plain stupid?) I did read that pottery kilns survive better if they're slack-built rather than tight fit; a bit like carpenters' tolerances cf cabinet makers' tolerances. I've seen images of some awesome brickwork on this site, yet I do wonder where the thermal cracking will occur. James' line of pre-cast ovens should last for aeons,because the expansion joints come with the system.
                  Mine happened right in front - exactly where expected. Not a drama - nothing's going anywhere. Just looks crap to me.
                  If any guests notice it, then that would suggest that food/company is crap.
                  And that could be a worry.
                  Sacramento then Dusty: so if I book QANTAS to LA, the next flight is....(waiting)....
                  Chin up eh.
                  Ludd the Jeffite.

Comment

Originally posted by Inishta View Post
                    4pm Friday with you sees me at 2am Saturday morning. Can't vouch for the state of the pizzas (unless I stay 'on the wagon' till then)............
                    I'm sure your pizzas will be at least as good as my first ones....even at 2 on Sat morning. No one wants to be on a wagon THAT long. Besides, that would have to be one bad-ass wagon!

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                      Also, let me know if there is anything I can do to help with your gathering. We will definitely send flour and tomatoes. Let's see how big it gets -- maybe we can send raffle prizes. :-)
                      Ask Jim about that...
                      James
                      James, you are the MAN. That is really thoughtful. And one day, maybe WPN #2, I will take you up on that. This time though, it looks like my Sac friends, Telehort, and Acoma. I sure appriciate the offer.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                        Gees fellers, as soon as I finish formatting my invitation, I'll accept.
                        Sacramento then Dusty: so if I book QANTAS to LA, the next flight is....(
                        Jeff, get on that plane and get your Aussie arce over here! You are more than welcome. Help me build one of those rotiousery things while you are here.

And I know what you mean about the tight fitting bricks. I have decided to chill a bit and just go with it. The cracks just are't that serious.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
                          Dusty,

James was kind enough to send me raffle prizes (Caputo flour, T-shirts, aprons, plus pizza serving tools) for my annual Mary G's Artisan Breads bash last May. Believe me, it was not only generous but a big hit among the guests. If James is willing, I'd accept. It was a real treat. This year's bread bash will have an Italian theme, so I'm practising my pizza forming and reading up on regional Italian breads. Speaking of which, I just got a copy of Daniel Leader's Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers (New York: W. W. Norton, 2007). It contains some really fine formulas and unusual techniques, including Italian bread and pizza recipes that make it well worth the price. Just a plain good read, too.

Jim
                          Yea, that was really nice of James. I don't want to take advantage though (this time!). Just doesn't seem to be too many Forno Bravo members attending. Maybe I can make it a bigger deal one day.
                          And thanks for the book info. I am going to get myself one. Birthday coming up!

dusty

Comment

James, when I plan to host the Reno event, I will take you up on it if the opportunity exist. Les has a complete back yard, and mine won't be, but what the heck! I am shooting for June for our Regional Reno.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

OK... here it is...write this down ...in ink!

1st annual World Peace-a Party
                              Saturday 2/23/08 from 2:00pm to well past dark.

If you can't come Sac, maybe you could host your own and make it true "worldly" event.
                              Texas and Turkey are on board.
                              Please RSVP.

dusty

Comment

RSVP'D. Dusty, this will be fun. I will bring Annemarie.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Working...
                                X