Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help. Cant decide wether to go modular or build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pologuy9906
    replied
    It's been a while. I'm almost there. Went with 4.5" of fiberboard. How many inches of the blanket and how many inches of the vermcrete would one reccommend? Should I use the insulation or vermcrete first? Also trying to figure out the best way to build this upward.

Thanks again for all the help this site's user provide.

Leave a comment:

• Pologuy9906
    replied
    Extending it out further back. I'm going with a fogazzo "treasure chest" I won't have time to build from scratch. I take my hat off to each and every one of you for completing it. I'm building the base this weekend. I'm filling each cavity with concrete.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied
    Once you acquire a wet saw - 240 ish at Habor Frieght, you can literally do anything. Learning to cut everything is easy and although it is intimidating at first.... it is really not hard at all to cut every piece you will need to do this. Brick is very forgiving and anything you mess up, you can fix.

My suggestion, read these forums....look at a lot of builds and plan yours. My first design was a simple sketch on my ipad. Pretty much stuck with it.
    It was such a cool project.
    I believe my kids will grow up and want one someday. Something tells me that I will assist with many more builds as I grow old

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by Pologuy9906 View Post
    Ran into a major problem. I only have 60" wide x 48"deep for a base. My wife doesn't want it to stick out on the back of the wall.
    Build a smaller oven and or keep the entry shallow.

Leave a comment:

• william
    replied
    Hi
    I would do a corner build looking at your photo, it also would not crowd the fireplace and give you more cooking room
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Pologuy9906
    replied
    Trying tof figure out how I can extend it further by going deeper into the yard. How many bricks does the typically take to construct?

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied
    Originally posted by Pologuy9906 View Post
    Ran into a major problem. I only have 60" wide x 48"deep for a base. My wife doesn't want it to stick out on the back of the wall.
    I think you will need more room. Can you come out 1 more set of blocks to pick up 7 more inches? I mean come forward? 36 inch dome is going to take at least 50 inches i would think.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Is it possible to do a arch cantilever hearth deck. It will give you a little extra room out front and match your fire place hearth. I am not seeing your dimension you gave based on the CMU layout unless the CMUs are bigger than std 8x8x16.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Unless you find another location, I don't see much way around it. Actually, I would set the face of the oven back a lot further back than even what you have shown. As far forward as it is, you will be loosing a lot of the view and the usable area in front of that fine fireplace. Any chance of a corner build?

Leave a comment:

• Pologuy9906
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied
    The other thing to think about is the satisfaction you will get from building it. The masterpiece that you, your family and your friends will enjoy is looking at the inside of the dome and the incredible look of a hot fire and clean hot bricks. It is truly a fantastic conversation piece. As for building it, you do have to sign up for it. For me, I loved building mine. I rushed here and there simply because that is my nature. I would slow down next time. If there is one.

Mine, like Russell's will stay hot for 4-5 days. We cook in it every week and cook multiple meals. Insulation is a must utilizing Fibre board, and lots of insulation on the top. For me it takes 2 hours to get to temp and off we go.

My advice is build it! Have your kids help, they will never forget it and you will marvel at the pictures and what you went through for years to come.
    Go for it.

Leave a comment:

• Pologuy9906
    replied
    Got you. I like the insulation board. I need to find the details 're: indespinsible tool

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I guess I also need to clarify that heat loss is also dependent on thermal mass, ie more mass means more heat retainage. The FB oven is, 2" thick cast shell?? brick ovens commonly 4 to 4.5" thick

Leave a comment:

• Pologuy9906
    replied
    gotcha. just so nervous. I'm probably starting the base this weekend

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Heat loss is insulation dependent. I can easily get 4 days worth of cooking heat. I normally cook pizzas in the 700 F range but I have registered 800 plus regularly. Again your choice build or have built. But a bulk of ovens on forum are DIY
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 09-10-2015, 06:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X