replied
    Re: Elizabeth's oven

Looks fantastic Elizabeth! Great job.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Well, the spaceship has landed. I did the finish coat of stucco yesterday. I was aiming to do the tile, but decided that I didn't want to clean it up when I did stucco, so I did the messy stuff first.

I was using the white finish stucco from Lowe's. It isn't hard to apply- I prefer it to the type S I was using for the base coats. The half that was in the sun set up much more quickly than the half in the shade! I had to really work at it to get it on and still be able to float it smooth.

I think it turned out pretty well- I am noticing a couple of very tiny cracks in a couple of places but I think if they don't get worse I can fill them all right without having to do a whole extra coat.

Continuing to mist it periodically. Now I have to grout the mosaic and do the other tile (maybe tomorrow).

I think I'll finish the stucco on the base next spring and give my rotator cuff a chance to heal. Seems a lifetime of not using my deltoids properly is now reaping me bad things. Physical therapy is not fun, but I will build up those muscles and learn to do things properly. Either that or I'll have to teach my left hand to be a whole lot less stupid....

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Sarah, I've followed your build throughout. What more needs to be done? I thought it was a finished product (I guess nothings ever really quite finished)

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Well, last week it was saying wait, but this week it says go on. I'll probably be doing a bit this weekend on the tile, hoping to do some stucco early next week. The weather around here is unpredictable this time of year, so I keep an eye on the forecast. Days might be good, but nights, well, they can get too cold for proper curing. A tarp and a halogen light can do wonders, though...

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

I'm a little late in saying it, but I think your oven's looking great! I really like your year plaque and tiles. Will you be doing any more this fall or is your weather saying 'wait for spring'? Mine is!

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• bbell
    replied

It's great to be able to follow the process and progress
    Thanks
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Oh good. I was worried about the glow in the dark thing. I was envisioning sort of a "space ship" effect in the back yard! My husband did mention that if I don't like it I can always paint it a little different color- but I just want to be finished...

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Wow, cool! Lovely work.

I also agree with everyone else: leave it as it is, those tiles show off the nice shape of your oven really well, too.

And that work space will come in really handy, I need something just like that.

Oh yes, about the stucco colour: If you go with white, it'll tone down really fast anyway. When I painted mine with bright white sealant it seemed to glow in the dark to begin with, but now a couple of months later its more like a very pale grayish colour.

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

The mosaic tiles just look fantastic! What a nice touch! They look fine stopping where they do, too.

Travis

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

We got the counter up- it has a big brick lintel under one end and the other end is concrete pillars we made some time ago. I'd have gotten more done, but there was a football game on. Stupid Redskins. They interfered with the last nice day we're going to have for nearly a week! It's supposed to be down to 25 at night a couple of nights this week. That's December weather. I guess I'll have to wait on the tile and final stucco until it warms back up. Here's rooting for Indian summer- I'm so close to finished I could do it in a day or two!

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Thanks for the affirmations. I am going to leave it alone- partly because I don't wanna go back to the store for more 10/sheet mosaic! We're going to try to get the counter in place on the left side today.

Leave a comment:

• nodoubt68
    replied

I agree with you Nikki, it looks wicked Elizabeth just the way it is......

Also I now know my husband needs glasses...he looked over at my laptop and asked" Does that say BOOB" .......lol

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

I really like where you ended the top row of tile, and think it's a very natural place to break. It allows that beautiful archway to stand proud and be its own distinct feature. I vote to keep it as is.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I got busy with my tile this afternoon. It's not looking quite the way I had it in my mind. but I think it will be ok. Once I get them grouted and sealed they'll really pop against the white. I hope. I also hope the little buggers stay where I put them! I've not worked with mosaic tiles on a vertical surface before. Let's just say if they're not sliding, they're popping off.

Never fear, if they fall off I'll glue the stinkers on.

I don't have enough to wrap all the way around on the top row- does it look ok like this or should I go get another sheet of tile and bring it around to the arch?
    Last edited by egalecki; 10-25-2008, 03:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I've been busy this week. I put on my first two stucco layers- the final coat will be white, since I can't get finish stucco in grey and the colors available here don't go with what I'm after. White will be ok. I put in the tile for the front too- there will be more of it on the deck and the counter, and around the edge of the stand.

I'm pretty pleased with it on the whole.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X