X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTflorida
    replied
    Re: Elizabeth's oven

Elizabeth, I'm with ya on the Auto PAd 2.0.....To me half the fun and intrigue of a project comes from graph paper, ruler, legal pad, and several sharp pencils (I still don't use mechanical pencils and have the identical type of pencil sharpener we had in our elementary school classrooms).

I really like the "L" with the corner bump for the oven, can't wait to see the progression from paper to 3D fuctionality. Keep the photos coming.

RT

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I got the forms done today. Lots of measuring over and over to make sure I was square and the areas were actually the right size!

My concrete is going to be a lot deeper than really necessary- an average of about 7 inches, but I am assured that it will be fine. The slope of the yard made it hard to estimate how much dirt to take out.

I still have to put the steel in and go around the edge of the forms tamping in some dirt in a few places but as soon as I can swing the 1 1/2 yards in the concrete truck (and face having to wheelbarrow it over from the alley ) I'll get it poured and ready for block.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Well, I'm ready to form up, I think. I have to get the ok from my husband, the contractor, but if it isn't right I'm not digging anymore. I've dug modified footers to spread the load under the block, and that, with the rebar and wire, should be ok.
    I need to run it by DH, but I think I'm just going to have 4 courses of block, which should put the top of my hearth at about 36 inches. The 4" of insulating block plus the firebrick will put me at about 42" finished, and if I make countertop to the side of the dome and stucco to it, the finished counter will be about the same height as the ones inside the house. I shouldn't get rain water into the oven at all. I just don't know how much room on the hearth I'll have to make counter, so I can't plan that until I get there.

Here are some pictures
    Last edited by egalecki; 04-09-2008, 11:29 AM. Reason: clarity

Leave a comment:

• Faz
    replied

I am planning a similar L shape design, with a BBQ to one side and a bench to the other, like Mahootna. My CAD version is even earlier though, as although the plans are well developed they are stored in my brain only and haven't quite made it to paper so far!

Anyway, on a more serious note, I think it would be better for the bench to be slightly lower than the oven to prevent rain falling on the bench from then working its way into the structure of the oven and causing dampness, especially over the winter months. I was planning on casting a level concrete pad for all 3 sections but the oven would be raised up slightly due to the insulating pad and some exterior finish (probably reclaimed brick).

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Originally posted by Mahootna View Post
    Have even been using the same AUTO-PAD system (pencil aided design). You must be using v2.0, coz mine is still only black and white. Must look out for the upgrade.

Paul
    AUTO-PAD 2.0 has tape for easy manuvering of the shape as well. I got tired of drawing it over and over so I cut it out and moved it around through all the many layouts I have looked at.

I am not worried about the height of the BBQ part- when I am ready to surround it I'm just going to take it up to the height of the side tables on the BBQ. I don't care if it is not the same as the hearth. If there's hearth showing on that side, then I'll stucco it or cover it with the cultured stone.

I'm going to make the counter later, and I'll have to see how it will look best- I don't know if I'll make it all the way to the dome, or butt it to the hearth slab.

I got my insulating board today and I'm using corrugated steel panels as the base for my hearth slab. If they hold up the concrete front porch, they'll hold up the oven.

Still digging, though. It keeps raining.

Leave a comment:

• Mahootna
    replied

Shall be watching your progress with great interest. I'm still in the plannning stage but have been considering the same 'L' shaped design - bench to one side, bbq to the other, WFO in the corner. Have even been using the same AUTO-PAD system (pencil aided design). You must be using v2.0, coz mine is still only black and white. Must look out for the upgrade.

As I say, I shall be watching your progress with interest coz I've been struggling with deciding what overall size and shape to aim for, for each section of the 'L', and then tying in the surface of each so they are all the same height. Just can't visualise the transition from the hearth, with insulating layer on top, then the cooking surface, and having all that at the same level as a bench on one side and a BBQ surface on the other.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

It works!

If you want to look at the other pictures, like from Italy, you can click on the links on the left of the page. There aren't too many pictures of people no one knows but me, and there are a lot of lovely pictures of the wonderful Italian country and people.

My blisters have blisters and I'm only 4 inches down.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

ok, I think I have the signature fixed to link to my picture page. testing.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

You can host the pictures anywhere. All you need is the URL of where the picture is, and you can paste it in your posts by hitting the postcard icon above the message box.

You are welcome to post any oven related pictures on FB.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

ok, now I have to find a place for all this dirt I'm digging up. Dirt, loosely. It's mostly lovely Virginia red clay. Darn backfill from when we built the house.

but I can see in my mind's eye the completed oven, and it's going to be wonderful!

I'm going to start putting pictures up on the website we have so I won't hog bandwidth. Is it ok to use the ours, which is on msn instead of picasa?

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Cool! Another oven to be built. More opportunities to second guess.

I've yet to see a spark come out the front of my oven.

Leave a comment:

• cvdukes
    replied

Elizabeth,
    If by fiberglass screening, you mean the stuff used for window screens, it'll definitely melt before your oven even gets up to temp. Aluminum screening will last just a little longer, but nothing to waste your time on.

Depending on the dryness of the wood and what you are burning, sparks out the front could be problem. Many of us have solid metal plates doors that fit on the outside.... make it so it allows combustion air to enter at the bottom by either cutting in a vent or just having little legs to elevate it off the hearth. You can even prop it up on some extra bricks. You only need an inch or so to allow enough air in. I only stick mine on when I leave the oven unattended... and even then only when the oven is first firing up. After the oven is up to temp and you just got a small fire going to keep the temp up, sparking is not a problem.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Has anyone done anything about a "screen door" to prevent sparking while firing the oven? I expect I'll have something on top of the chimney at the end, but I was wondering about sparks out the front. Do you even get many?

I've checked with the building inspector and he's fine with my location, but I'd hate to miss an opportunity to be careful.

If I were to build one, would fiberglass screening work? If I were to make it to fit the external arch, would it be too hot for the screening there?

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Elizabeth,

It was refreshing to see your "poor man's CAD" sketch. That's as sophisticated as I can get with design. Looks like you've got a great start. Nice looking bread, too.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
    Looks delicious! Is it sourdough?
    No, it's supposed to be Pane Pugliese. I am not sure that it's all that authentic, since it didn't use a starter or biga, but it tastes good and the crumb is nice and holey, like my kids like it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X