Tile on waterproofed render / stucco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile on waterproofed render / stucco

I'm about to render my dome with 3 : 1 render mix with some reinforcement fibres added to reduce cracks (I hope). I was going to add a liquid waterproofing additive to the render. I intend to add a valve at the top of the dome to let moisture out, where necessary.
    I want to tile over the dome when rendered. Does anyone know if I can tile with waterproof tile adhesive on render / stucco that has been waterproofed in this way. I know you cannot paint the render if its been waterproofed.
    I want to seal the dome from the elements asap and would rather waterproof the render and use waterproof or resistent tile adhesive if I can. I dont fully trust my tarpaulin.

I used SikaLatex acrylic fortifier and bonding agent. I replaced about half of the water in my stucco mix with it as a fortifier. I applied a coat of 100% SikaLatex between coats of stucco as a bonding agent. I also applied a coat of it as a bonding agent just prior to applying flooring splits with indoor outdoor thinset. No problems with this product and method for the bricks sticking so far. And, it has been a few years. Although my oven is under a cover, I'm pretty sure that my render has plenty of water resistance.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      I used SikaLatex acrylic fortifier and bonding agent. I replaced about half of the water in my stucco mix with it as a fortifier. I applied a coat of 100% SikaLatex between coats of stucco as a bonding agent. I also applied a coat of it as a bonding agent just prior to applying flooring splits with indoor outdoor thinset. No problems with this product and method for the bricks sticking so far. And, it has been a few years. Although my oven is under a cover, I'm pretty sure that my render has plenty of water resistance.
      Whilst acknowledging the experience of Gulf I do not believe that SikaLatex should be used as a bonding agent without the addition of cement and sand.there is no issue painting over such renders,nor in using a waterproofing membrane, which I would recommend if you wish to tile,as regardless of the adhesive tiling cannot be regarded as waterproof

Comment

Originally posted by Toomulla View Post
        Whilst acknowledging the experience of Gulf I do not believe that SikaLatex should be used as a bonding agent without the addition of cement and sand.there is no issue painting over such renders,nor in using a waterproofing membrane, which I would recommend if you wish to tile,as regardless of the adhesive tiling cannot be regarded as waterproof

Apply the acrylic fortifier just ahead of the stucco, not letting the bonding agent dry completely.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys !

Comment

Working...
          X