Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is ceramic fiber insulating board worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is ceramic fiber insulating board worth it?

Originally posted by Ed_ View Post
    The scary part is that it makes sense.
    Thanks Ed, I must say I was suprised myself ...
    W.
    "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

Now, following this result I have probably very nearly done something stupid. Perhaps someone here will correct me (or confirm I am right) before I carry it out .

I thought that 50C is quite hot for outside of the oven and will make the oven lose lots of energy. The model above actually describes my set-up well: 2in of oven floor resting on 2in of FB.

So I bought some inexpensive high density fiberglass slabs to put under the FB.
      The slabs are fibreglassy, designed to go into cavity walls or under flooring, quite dense, about 2in thick and would surely bring the 50C down to not much at all. And they would not be exposed to high temperatures, as these will be taken off by the FB. That was my rationale.

...... but then came The Doubts.

Because while FB is tried and tested by this Forum, the fibreglass slab possibly isn't.

On the specs for the fibreglass slab a sub-flooring application is included (under concrete screed), so I hope that it will remain stable under the relatively small pressure from the oven, spread over the approx. 2sq.m. of oven support area.

Or will it all wobble ???

.... or even sink ?

Any experience, advice , voice of reason (on this sunny Friday afternoon)?

Yours,
      W.

Comment

I have started building a pompeii oven and I am worried about ceramic fibers. I've read much information about building ovens of this kind on fornobravo. Because I live in the Netherlands I also read information more close where I live. And there is a firebrick seller that doesn't sell ceramic fiber blanquets anymore.
        He says: (the next is dutch)
        Het keramisch vezeldeken wordt NIET meer geleverd. Dit i.v.m. de wereldwijde discussie over de mogelijke gevaren voor de gezondheid. Als uitstekend alternatief wordt de Superwool 607 geleverd.
        Here is my translation: Because of the worldwide discussion about the possible hazards with respect to human health, we don't sell the ceramic fiber blanquet anymore. I like to sell my Superwool 607

If this is true, we have to get alternatives.
        Is it, or is it just a way to get the Superwool 607 selled?

kind regards, Henk

Comment

Sounds like he has Superwool 607 to sell and not ceramic blankets. Business is business. Certainly, not advisable to breath the ceramic fibers. I know of no other problems with the stuff. Once incased inside the layers of the oven, I think it will be fine.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

You don't want to breathe any of this stuff, even the brick and concrete dust. Just because it's asbestos-free doesn't mean you don't want this dust in your lungs. Silly paper dust masks are not enough, get a low end respirator that lets you breath out un-obstructed, and filters the air on the way in:

This will make your life easier.

Maybe it's time to bump up the safety thread with all the new builders coming in in the spring.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

.... a quick google for the Superwool 607 comes up with:

The Thermal Ceramics Superwool? family of products offers a versatile alternative to traditional insulation ...

It is advertised as "low biopersistence" - so perhaps it is worth it after all.

And I'll be wearing a respirator when installing the blanket anyway ... thanks Dmun.

W.

Comment

Also agree to use boards: i used vermiculite insulation and I think that is where the oven loses most heat. Unfortunately couldnt get the FB boards here in the UK otherwise would have done so. I would wait for them.. worth it in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by readie View Post
                  [...] Unfortunately couldnt get the FB boards here in the UK otherwise would have done so. I would wait for them.. worth it in the long run.
                  I got them in the UK without any problems. Try Scarva Pottery Supplies.

Best wishes,
                  W.

Comment

Hi there, a question for you guys with experience. I have read a little about wood fired oven and want to build one, preferably a 'tunnel rather than an igloo, i have a limited area between two existing concrete columns that are built against a block wall, the space between the columns is 39 inches wide and i am limited in front to back depth to 36 max.inches by not wanting to intrude onto a pool deck area mainly for aesthetic reasons.

So the question is? what are the thinest walls that i can have and still reach and maintain the heat i need and what would be the optimum materials for this construction.

i realise that the oven construction has to be insulated or separated from the existing wall and column structure or heat will be lost into this structure.

I also realise that for optimum performance and interior space i may have to use the most expensive materials available.

Any advice appreciated, Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X