Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRPizza
    replied
    Fancy Indeed! Funny- I clicked on the first pic and thought "Oh, Chach has a legend inscribed on his oven". Then I read "Wonderboard lite"

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    My limestone arch and chimney cap were ready for pick up today so I installed them both. Finally no tarp on the chimney or anywhere on this structure. Chimney pipe finished storm collar installed . Limestone arch set and installed and I am very happy and received a "that looks fancy" from the boss! Today was a good day and I'm on the road to the end.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    Yes that is exactly the problem i run into as well. I have gotten to the point where i can do pretty much anything around the house, and i can do as good or better than hiring someone that may not take pride in their work. As you know if you get stuck on a project at home all you have to do is go ask another tradesmen how they would handle situation xyz and they will generally tell you what to do. Or now you can just Google it. I am guessing that i will end up building myself to save money

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    That is still up in the air a bit. I was going to buy one but they didn't ship this fat. I also looked in to a mason that builds ovens but i worry i won't get what i am hoping for. So for now i am thinking about getting the footing in place so i can move in any direction form there. It would be nice to have that in before the patio goes in.
    Yes then you can build the patio around it. I'm the same way when it comes to having someone do work for me. They have to care just as much as I do when it comes to their work ethic. Problem is most times we can do a better job than who we may hire but it just may take longer but I know Id be happy.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    That is still up in the air a bit. I was going to buy one but they didn't ship this fat. I also looked in to a mason that builds ovens but i worry i won't get what i am hoping for. So for now i am thinking about getting the footing in place so i can move in any direction form there. It would be nice to have that in before the patio goes in.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Hey Ricky, have you managed to get any more work done now that you can't leave home? I have been removing the remaining patio that was left from the old raised paver deck. I have smashed about 135sqft of solid concrete that is 4 to 5" thick with a 8# maul. Luckily the concreet recycling place is still open. I have hauled 3 truck loads so far and probably have 3 to 4 more to go. I can't wait to get that done. I may start digging the footing for the oven here soon if i don't go back to work soon.

Randy
    Well We are considered essential work force here in Chicago so I was still working but Friday I asked for a layoff. I was around too many people on a dailey basis. So now I'm taking advantage of the journeyman recall. I still have my work truck and phone so I'll take a few weeks off and see how the world is. Sounds like your killing your projects. We have been cleaning the house like crazy here. Basement next and then I can start framing down there. As far as the oven I'm waiting for my stone arch to be fabricated then I can install and continue my stone but it's still pretty cold at night so I may wait a week or so to continue. So with the new oven are you going to build the dome? I know you were talking about buying one.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    Hey Ricky, have you managed to get any more work done now that you can't leave home? I have been removing the remaining patio that was left from the old raised paver deck. I have smashed about 135sqft of solid concrete that is 4 to 5" thick with a 8# maul. Luckily the concreet recycling place is still open. I have hauled 3 truck loads so far and probably have 3 to 4 more to go. I can't wait to get that done. I may start digging the footing for the oven here soon if i don't go back to work soon.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    Chach

No the gap at the bottom was there becaues i thought i would be using this door as a draft door for warming the oven. The smoke escapes around the edges at the top of the door because there is no seal the fit is such that enough air escapes around the edges of the door. I plug the gap you see at the bottom of the door with a rag and someday i may build a proper smoking door.
    How long do you smoke for while cooking? The entire time or do you do a few hours and let the oven do the rest? How are your results on taste? Im sure you have made everything under the sun in there. I plan on doing ribs, brisket, chicken, and pork butt.
    Last edited by Chach; 03-22-2020, 09:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Chach

Regarding your handles for your insulated door. I have my handle supports mounted all the way thru into the interior of the oven, they should only mount on the outer skin of the insulated door as the heat transfers thru the bolts i used as handle supports and it has even charred the skin wood of my insulated door. you may need to reinforce the outer skin to allow for this. but if no metal goes thru into the oven it is best.

I have had my insulated door for over 8 years now and still working great.

Chip
    I agree with the handles I thought about that when designing it and they are welded to the outer stainless no bolts at all. I was going to do stainless L brackets and wood dowles for the handles but decided to do stainless handles instead. Hopefully there is minimum heat transfer from the fire brick to the outer skin. I suppose stove gasketing around the door for a seal would reduce that anyway.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied
    Chach

Regarding your handles for your insulated door. I have my handle supports mounted all the way thru into the interior of the oven, they should only mount on the outer skin of the insulated door as the heat transfers thru the bolts i used as handle supports and it has even charred the skin wood of my insulated door. you may need to reinforce the outer skin to allow for this. but if no metal goes thru into the oven it is best.

I have had my insulated door for over 8 years now and still working great.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied
    Chach

No the gap at the bottom was there becaues i thought i would be using this door as a draft door for warming the oven. The smoke escapes around the edges at the top of the door because there is no seal the fit is such that enough air escapes around the edges of the door. I plug the gap you see at the bottom of the door with a rag and someday i may build a proper smoking door.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Smoke pistol
    Very nice...so you left a little gap on the bottom of the door for smoke to escape. very exciting how is the food?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied
    Smoke pistol

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    I will give him a few days to see if he responds. But from what I remember he built a insulated door and had the smoke pistol in the middle of the door. Have you built your insulated door yet? If not just build 2 at the same time and incorporate the smoke injector in one of them.
    A friend of mine is welding it up for me. Its all 304 stainless with 4" of calsil board and stainless handles. Ill make a second door but i would need more insulation or just do an uninsulated door for this application.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X