X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RandyJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Chach View Post
    RandyJ do you remember how much perlite you used?
    I can't be totally certain but i believe it was 45cf. It was enough to fill the whole cavity and heap over the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    This was an afterthought now I have to cut a small hole in the roof add the perlite and then seal it back up again. My advice to builders is to think about what you plan on doing...in my case I wasn't sure if I was actually going to add the perlite to my enclosure but after thinking about it why would I skip out on adding something that will only help my oven and in the grand scheme of things $125- $200 is not gonna make a difference in this build. Can't hurt to add it so I said what the hell.
    Last edited by Chach; 10-10-2019, 02:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    Nice find. I want to say i paid 15$ for a 3cf bag so not to bad.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    I just picked up bags of perlite for $12.60 4CU ft in each bag. I think that's rather reasonable. Home town perlite out of Hodgkins, IL If your in the Chicago area or close they offer an order and pick up at the yard..if your not in the area its expensive to ship I wouldnt bother. They also have a location in Pennsylvania. Company is called Silbrico. Cheapest I found for that size..Amazon has it for $35 free shipping
    Last edited by Chach; 10-08-2019, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    I got mine from menards and i believe it was the Mason version. Whatever is cheaper will be fine. Make sure to wear a respirator when you put it in. I believe the stuff is related to asbestos. I think i bought like 45cf of itor there abouts.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    should I use this perlite http://www.hometownperlite.com/Krum_details.html or this perlite http://www.hometownperlite.com/Mason...l_details.html. I found a supplier near me for a reasonable price. one is a masonry perlite used to insulate masonry walls and the other is for garden use.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    RandyJ do you remember how much perlite you used?

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    i did that in my last oven. I am sure it adds to the overall heat retention ability of the oven. As to how necessary is up for debate. I just figured it was going to be very hard to add later if i wanted. I guess it depends on how far over budget you are already.
    Randy thanks for replying. I was debating if I should or not. Was curious if it got wet for some reason how long would it take to dry out not that I'm planning on it getting wet but was a concern of mine. Budget ha! I made it this far. Budget is no concern at this point hahah. now is the time for me to add it if i want to.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    i did that in my last oven. I am sure it adds to the overall heat retention ability of the oven. As to how necessary is up for debate. I just figured it was going to be very hard to add later if i wanted. I guess it depends on how far over budget you are already.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Is there any benefit to adding loose perlite to my enclosure even though I have three inches of ceramic blanket over my oven.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    Hey Ricky, things are finally starting to come together. We now have siding, sheetrock is up and i am mudding and tapping everything. This project has almost killed me it was way more than i anticipated. I will be pulling it in at close to budget, but that just means i had to do more than i ever planned for. On the bright side it is turning out very well and everything looks like it makes sense and is not just slapped together as some additions do. I am excited to see how the roof turns out. That will be very cool.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    I like what you are doing with the roof. What are you going to do to weather proof it? I always love doing arches and such. Makes for a very unique look that most won't bother with putting the effort in to.
    Randy Randy Randy! First off how the heck are you? Hope everything is going good with the new place. Well as far as the roof goes I plan on using steel roofing from Menards which I ordered it the other day. The hardest part is finding a roofing company that can make radius flashing and fascia. I did get a few people to give some quotes to make the pieces. Im waiting for a local place to stop by and look at it. I purchased a coil 18" x 50' same color as my steel roof so they can make any of the radius pieces I may need. If its astronomical I can buy a radius flange bender for like $350 which I may do if the labor price for them to make it gets out of hand. I was thinking of shingling it too which would be very easy but I didnt want the asphalt particles washing down on my kitchen top. Ill update you what I find out from this local company. There are a few companies in other states that will make it for you and ship it to you but they're kind of pricey. I also plan on enclosing the stainless steel flu and stoning that as well.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    I like what you are doing with the roof. What are you going to do to weather proof it? I always love doing arches and such. Makes for a very unique look that most won't bother with putting the effort in to.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    nevermind i just scrolled down on new posts and it seems others have had the same thing happen...sucks there were some good things going on.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    why have some of my posts disappeared?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X