Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RandyJ
    replied
    Hey Rick make sure that you keep the gap around the edge. I used cardboard to keep a constant gap. Then just leave it be. Good luck trying to get the bricks out if you try.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by Karangi Dude View Post
    Ricky,

If the new bricks are better it is probably worth a try, the least amount of ash in your oven when you are baking bread the better as the ash absorbs the moisture and you need moisture for a good crust

Good Luck
    Doug
    Point taken. I also left a gap where the floor meets the dome wall, do i need to fill that with something? Like fire clay?

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Ricky,

If the new bricks are better it is probably worth a try, the least amount of ash in your oven when you are baking bread the better as the ash absorbs the moisture and you need moisture for a good crust

Good Luck
    Doug

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Nice brickwork Ricky,
    It is all looking good nice clean job well done so far

Cheers Doug
    Thanks Doug! next for me is to clean the cooking floor and add the plywood I cut then i dont have to be as careful with my mortar slinging.

One thing i wish is that the fire bricks I purchased jad 90 degree sides...last year when I did the fireplace the bricks were top notch almost flawless. this year from the same supply house bad batch...my floor has gaps in it and there is nothing I can do but just wait for it to fill with ash..I do need to buy more fire bricks. I wonder if they are better if its worth swapping the floor out. should be easy especially if I just chamge the full bricks and leave the cut bricks alone.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Nice brickwork Ricky,
    It is all looking good nice clean job well done so far

Cheers Doug

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Well in my limited time today i was able to finish the rest of the second course the whole third course and about a little more than a third of the fourth course. I cam noe see the dome starting to form and I'm getting more and more excited. I tell you it's the little things in life.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by cbailey View Post
    Chach, that's a good looking arch. Beautiful work. TGI spring. I'm looking forward to following the build.
    Thanks I really appreciate that! I must have posted the same picture twice I have upload the back side of the arch. Once you understand the concept it's not that difficult to layout.

Leave a comment:

• cbailey
    replied
    Chach, that's a good looking arch. Beautiful work. TGI spring. I'm looking forward to following the build.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Finally able to work on the oven again today because of all the rain. It was very dark and threatening today to rain but the sun came through then dark then sun...its crazy this weather. I went out anyway and completed my arch and I'm very pleased. I wanted to taper the brick instead of the triangle joint but its a PIA to do it with a 10" saw. if i had a 14" hell I'd be in business. Anyways I'm very happy the way it came out and there is always room for improvement but this is another obstacle off my list and now I can continue with the dome. Thanks to everyone for their input so far it really helps. I plan on going out tomorrow and setting some dome bricks it's going to be 55 tomorrow and it's 77 now. Like i said this weather is nuts.
    Last edited by Chach; 05-20-2019, 02:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    ok so this what I'll on both sides...stacked up mortar joint and the side facing the oven i beveled to match the angle of the course (chain) so it has the same angle as the brick next to it and continues up the arch..

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    JRPizza Karangi Dude RandyJ Thanks for the information and tipsI think my brain is back on track and im gonna start again after work today of course while attending to the pool and the pool heater since its malfunctioning. Never ends does it

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    As some of the others have said be careful if you prebuild the arch ahead of the dome walls. I did that and ended up with a tear drop shape and had to fix it. It was not a big deal but needed tending to. I didn't realize the dome pulled back as it went up.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Ricky

JRPizza's picture is a little less confusing than mine, that first brick on each side is the door arch the reveal is created when you build the flue arch

Cheers Doug

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Here's another, more messy, view of a first course with the inner arch started. As the dome progresses the bricks on each side of the opening move inward and upward following your arch template, and if you have the proper fore/aft orientation, the bricks will get longer as the dome "pulls back" and the top dead center brick will almost be full length.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JRPizza; 05-14-2019, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Hi Chach,

Yes you will need to remove the bricks from each side of the entry and replace them with bricks similar to the ones in this picture, then but up your course bricks keeping the side arch bricks flat,
    if you continue to go up with the course bricks when you are ready to start the arch you will not have a flat surface to start from, the arch needs to stand alone with the dome butting up to it, then tying in when you start you arch.
    Sorry for the long winded explanation

Cheers

Doug
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven
    That's how I originally had it but took it down because i was looking at the reveal ...so the flat part stays next to the form then the brick in front slides over a bit for the reveal correct?

Ricky

Leave a comment:

Working...
X