Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slschoming
    replied
    Removed my forms. My edges didn't come out very clean in a few spots. Can this be filled in with something?

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    Glue some insect screen over the holes before you lay up the vermicrete. This will prevent it falling through the holes.
    Thanks for the tip, I was planning to put insect screen on the BOTTOM of the tube to keep bugs out, but hadn't thought yet about how to keep the vermicrete from going down the holes. I blocked the tops off by stuffing wads of paper towel before I poured the hearth but I knew that wasn't going to work for the vermicrete layer since I can't punch through from the bottom again.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Glue some insect screen over the holes before you lay up the vermicrete. This will prevent it falling through the holes.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    UtahBeehiver I am hoping to build an external brick dome around the oven, similar to cobblerdave's oven.

So with 2" of ceramic blanket being the bare minimum around the dome, does the same go for 4" of vermicrete under the floor? should I be increasing my floor insulation as well?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    2" of ceramic blanket is your minimum amount, if you add 2" of 8-10 to 1 p/crete then you are golden, skim coat with render and then final coat of choice.I cannot recall if you are enclosing or not. If you were, I would do 2" of ceramic blanket then fill the enclosure with dry perlite or vermiculite.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    UtahBeehiver Yeah, I think Saturday was sort of my last hurrah before winter, though we usually get a couple warmer weeks during winter that I might be able to take advantage of... However, I will be taking a break to rethink my oven size...

I think I may be able to increase my dome size a little bit now that I have the overhanging hearth. I will be using 9 inch firebrick (split) for the dome. I am trying to get an idea of my overall final "dome wall" width so I can decide how much extra I really can expand. Is 2 inches of FB blanket a common/adequate amount of insulation? I keep reading that you can't over insulate, but I am just curious what is the most common insulation width on the dome. Maybe 2 inches of blanket and then 2 inches of vermicrete?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Nice work. I see your leaves are turning so your construction season is coming to a close. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build when you resume.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Poured the hearth on Saturday. I want to leave my supports under my block beam until the first or second week of November, then I will get under there and poke some rebar back up through my pvc weep holes. Once they are poked through I will be able to see them from the top and will form a little bit of a mound between them before I put down the vermicrete layer.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    no real standard but couple in the dome foot print should be fine, 3/8" or 1/2", some members fasten a piece of wire mesh on the bottom side afterwards to prevent bugs nesting homes. You can also use some pcv and place top just below top surface of concrete hearth (so you can screed) then just knock out the thin top from underneath with a piece of rebar after the pour.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-19-2018, 07:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    I just finished framing the hearth. Going to pour on Saturday. Between now and then I'm going to drill some weep holes. What's the standard diameter and placement of weep holes?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    This is the correct way to do lintels, much better than trying to hold it up from the bottom with angle iron. Next time put some wedges under the uprights so they drop a little to assist removal, otherwise you risk damaging the poured lintel.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    The concrete seems to have weathered the storm.. Solid enough now that any moisture is good moisture...

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    I poured my lintels yesterday in the rain. Two runs of rebar throughout, tied to rebar going down all the cores they come into contact with. Bent some L-shaped rebar and poked an end of each into the channel after I filled it so it will grab onto the hearth when it's poured. The stand is slowly coming together.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Something they will remember.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Got a little help today...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X