Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slschoming
    replied
    Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the mixing advice. The more I read and the more questions I ask, the more confident I feel!

I imagine that only the weight of part of my arch/opening would be out on the overhang.

I am planning to pour the hearth and countertop for the prepping area all at the same time (same depth). Should I be scoring a contraction joint between the two like I did in the slab? Or should I not even be pouring them together in the first place? Any advice is welcome!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I dry mixed my homebrew in a 5 gallon Homer bucket and then made small batches of mortar, ie a gallon bucket of so. Any excess or flashed mortar used on outside of previously layed brick so not to waste. If you mix a days worth it will flash too quickly. Laying the bricks for the dome require a little fitting and adjustment so smaller batches mixed by hand seem to work better.

There have been some builds with fairly large overhands from the CMU base. A bulk of the weight is at the dome wall area. If you correctly rebar the hearth, IMHO, you should be okay.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    mk e, I definitely agree. I already had the concrete truck show up an hour and a half late so my father-in-law who came to help had to leave me for a bit to take care of a few things. Then, the concrete truck came up short on concrete. Luckily, a neighbor (with much concrete experience) came out to see what was going on and offered to start finishing my concrete while I ran to buy 4 bags of quikcrete. By the time I got home, my father-in-law had arrived and was working with my neighbor. (I plan to pay them in pizza later....) With my 4 bags we had enough concrete to fill in the forms, but the last wheelbarrows full were pretty wet later into the day than I hoped. I had to leave for an hour while that was still sopping wet, but luckily it was still workable when I returned at sunset.

Utah, I removed an 8 foot section of my fence to pour the slab, and I should be able to remove the other side of that corner pretty easily as well when I am working on the dome. I may actually end up building a temp fence further down to keep my dog in, then I could keep the fence down until I finish up. I have three small kids so I find small gaps of time here and there to work on projects and don't want to have to spend half that time taking down fence and putting it back up.

I plan to use FB board (on top of an upsidedown sheet of tiles leading to weep holes so I don't absorb water) and FB insulation blanket. around my dome. Then I hope to do either a waterproof stucco outer dome or a brick dome similar to cobblerdave's as my outer layer. I have been reading a lot about water getting into the insulation and we generally have cold winters with ice storms and wet springs so I am pretty nervous about waterproofing, but I would really like to be able to maintain an igloo with no roof.

I do have a couple questions about the dome (which I'm nowhere near ready to start yet anyway):

The part of the slab that will be directly below the oven is a 60" x 60" square, which is a little smaller than what I generally see in the plans and in other builds, but I was hoping to overhang my hearth by about 6 inches from the cinder block walls. Does that sound reasonable or am I already setting myself up for failure? If so I could always reduce the inner diameter by a few inches..

This is probably a dumb question, but I would rather ask it than do it wrong.... When I start the dome, I imagine it will be a multiple day process. I plan to use homebrew mortar for the joints. Can I just mix up enough homebrew for the day, lay a days worth of chains, and cover it up and come back to it a later day? or do I need to do anything special when I call it a day? Do you do any curing fires before the dome is complete if you don't get it completed in a day?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Yes the FB eplans are little outdated but a good base line. Peruse the blog for the latest innovations and improvements or ask away. It will be a little tough to work on the back side of the oven being so close to the fence. You may have to temp. remove the slats to work back there. Be sure to query the blog with any questions, most everyone wants the builder to be successful and avoid learned errors. Easier to correct on paper than once the bricks are laid.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Looks like you're off to a great start.....even if the plans are now a bit hard to read

I've learned that everything takes way longer than it seems like it should and that's just the way it is so think well before mixing a new batch of anything late in the day.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    started a topic 42" build in McPherson KS

42" build in McPherson KS

My wife and I lived in Italy for a year when we were newlyweds and we fell in love with wood fired ovens. Now we're back in KS and have three kids that are in love with wood-fired pizza. I've been dreaming about starting this build for the past 10 years, and am hoping to finally make it happen. I have never done any masonry or concrete work, but I'm hoping that this project will teach me everything that I need to know. Here are a few pictures of my slab which we poured yesterday. I am hoping to start the block work sometime next week. I've read the Pompeii plans multiple times, and have been reading about other things like weep holes and homebrew on the forums. I know I am bound to make some mistakes along the way, but very much appreciate all the documentation that I've been reading about newbie mistakes and things that have changed since the Pompeii plans were put together.

Here are a few details about my project.

1. I plan to make a 36" corner build over a 60" x 60" slab, with a 36" x 72" prepping station adjacent to the hearth.
    2. My hearth will have a little bit of overhang so I have a little more room to build the dome.
    3. I am hoping to maintain an igloo with no roof overhead in a KS climate that experiences all the seasons.
    4. I intend to learn a lot, have some fun, and meet some neighbors in the process.
    Last edited by Gulf; 04-27-2019, 04:19 PM.
Working...
X