42" Build in Seville Ohio!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Be careful with the grinding in that cofined space. Wear a suitable respirator and full goggles. Also forced air to clear the debris. The pointing needs at least a week to cure before starting any drying. If you haven't read about it, the Aussie heatbead (charcoal) drying works great for the initial heating. Use a charcoal chimney to start the charcoal outside of the oven. Use paper or a commercial lighting cube. (No charcoal lighting fluid) Spread the coals around. You can also cook while doing this.
    Ready for battle!!!!!!!

Comment

Update on the progress, see pics. Also, I know that I found a firing / curing schedule somewhere on this site but have not been able to locate it since...does anyone know it off hand? Or can someone point me to a link for it? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
        Dome looks better now pointing complete. I see you are using a halogen light, that will get you up to about 150F, next use charcoal briquettes for a couple fires (around 200 F) and you can cook some dutch oven while you are at it. Then small fires, this is were we see a lot of builders get a little impatient and go too fast and too hot cracking their work after all that hard labor. Take your time, the turtle wins the race on the cure. David S suggest placing a piece of plastic sheeting over the insulation and if you see condensation, then the oven is still wet, if you see steam, you are going to hot and fast.
        Hey Utah! I've started the charcoal firings and will next do the small fires but should I be trying to keep a small fire going all day or just a couple of hours or so? And what temps should I be targeting as I go through the curing process?? I thought I had found this info on this site somewhere before but now I can't seem to locate it...Thanks, Zoo

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          Basically, pointing is filling any gaps where mortar does not completely fill the spaces between brick. If you do a search on pointing brick you will find mostly information on repointing. Russell, UtahBeehiver , included a pic of a pointing tool in post #6. Pointing tools come in different sizes that correspond to the sizes of a the various sized mortar joints for normal normal brick work. The V-joints in a WFO that are caused by the compound curve are not normal. The V-joint can go from 0" to upwardss of 3/4". It takes a lot of ingenuity to completely fill a joint like that using any type of tool. It can be done but, (for those following the build) it is best to make sure that all head and bed joints are full while initially laying the brick. It is a lot easier once you learn how to butter the brick with mortar. It only takes practicie to figure this out. Always make sure that hte joints to the inside of the dome are completely full while first laying the brick. If there is a void, make sure that it is to the outside.It is so much easier to point from the outside of the dome.
          Cool thanks. I been calling it a joint tuck trowel. Haha thanks for the clarification. So I have some joints that are an 8th of an inch wide that isnt completly filled with mortar. So u should go in and add some mortar to make it flush with the inside of the dome ?

Comment

The FB eplans has a generic suggested curing schedule, I snipped it and attached. It is just an example so just be prudent and take your time. One extra piece of wood can really spike the temperature, so less is best.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The FB eplans has a generic suggested curing schedule, I snipped it and attached. It is just an example so just be prudent and take your time. One extra piece of wood can really spike the temperature, so less is best.
              Very nice!! Thanks!

Comment

Oven has been cured!!!!! I still need to get the lid done and the doors made but as noted in Star Wars episode 4 "the death star is fully operational"!! Attached are some pics from the first of hopefully many pizza parties
                Last edited by zoolander; 07-15-2019, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brwilliams88 View Post

Cool thanks. I been calling it a joint tuck trowel. Haha thanks for the clarification. So I have some joints that are an 8th of an inch wide that isnt completly filled with mortar. So u should go in and add some mortar to make it flush with the inside of the dome ?
                  Absolutely! Point and tuck any and every joint.....I went to a local brick supply yard and bought some disposable mason piping bags, filled them with mortar and then squeezed mortar into the joint. I then used a variety of tools to push the mortar as deep into the joint as I could. I'll be honest, I didn't want to do it but it makes a huge difference in appearance and will likely extend the life and performance of the oven. Good luck, Zoo

Comment

Congrats on the first pizza party. It seems once the pizzas start the finish work stops or slows down. I am still trying to tie up some loose ends and I finished main oven in 2012. Each firing get better and better and you learn all the nuances of your oven.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Congrats on the first pizza party. It seems once the pizzas start the finish work stops or slows down. I am still trying to tie up some loose ends and I finished main oven in 2012. Each firing get better and better and you learn all the nuances of your oven.
                      Thanks!! And yes, I can already see how slowing down on the last details could become a real possibility...hopefully I can push through...we'll see

Comment

Some new pics from the latest Za party I made a pie with super hot chiles and it was epic!! Super addicted to pizza making....

Comment

I figured I'd throw in an update on the progress....I'm continuing to make some headway although the momentum has slowed some. I think the real motivator at this point is that "winter is coming" and I'm super sick of having to cover this thing with a tarp all the time. I used some leftover paver block for the chimney which is held up by 1/2 thick angle iron, it actually worked quite nicely.....I plan on using slate for the roof and will hopefully have it done here in the near future. Go team!

Comment

Thanks to all contributors. I have my support structure done and I am slowly getting the courage to start my dome build.

Comment

Comment

Can someone tell me where to get fireclay to mix with sand to use as a slurry for the floor bricks. I am in Canada.

Comment

Working...
                                X