• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baza
    replied
    FINISHED THE ROOF!

Never shingled before!!
    So - guessed my best and this was the result.

I cut vents into the soffits (vertical slats) then covered them with bug mesh, stapled and siliconed in place - seems fine!
    Chose a ridge vent for the ventilation of the structure - just followed instructions and seems to have come out ok!

I didn't want the galvanized flashing (peak and storm collar) so I TSP'd, primed and sprayed it black - as per internet instructions (ugh - hope this isn't compromised - but I don't think so).
    When I'm well - I'll replace the light grey caulking with black.
    I like the look better.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Hello Forno Friends!

Many thanks to the kind words from all of you supporting the build. I have been thrown a total surprise from my genes ... I had double-bypass surgery 2 weeks ago. One of those "we better do this" operations. Strangely, I felt fit, strong and good, but my genetic predisposition to high cholesterol all but blocked the left side of my heart. The discovery was on a Monday - and the surgery the Friday. I've been recuperating since. It has been tough, but I have so much gratitude.

The oven is done structurally and only awaiting its cosmetic finish that I cannot do (stained-cedar sides/back and stone skirt/front). I will update some pics of the process where I'm at

BUT - in spite of all these events - we finally made PIZZA!!!!
    it was EXQUISITE!!!! Light, airy crust, delicious homemade, garden sauce and Valerio's touch!!
    My partner, Michelle and her brother worked the Pizza joint and their expertise at shaping and forming the pizzas was wonderful - the whole Visca crew was there for the first cook - and it was emotional.

Thank you for your support - I'm not sure how I'm going to finish the oven in these circumstances before the winter - I'm asking locals if they "know a person" ... sigh - really wanted to do it all myself.

In any event - I have life and a strong prognosis for successful health ... and Pizza!

Take care Friends
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    Originally posted by Baza View Post
    Ok - next step in the progress is that the roof is ON!
    Well, kinda.

It is screwed in and on top - but the finishing is a long way from done - going to get at that today while the rain holds off!
    MAN - those self-tapping screws do NOT like to get any other material on them ... had to predrill the screw holes as the screws picked up wood on the way through and just spun on the studs because they were clogged up with wood shaving by the time it got to the stud taking away the bite of the tip!! SO frustrating!! But - once I figured it out - it went pretty quick (and was a lesson learned for the fascia application!).

Just going to shingle at this point ... may do something nicer down the road - but I just want the damn tent OFF so moving quickly with the roofing (not my preference - maybe slate in the future?)

Poured up the hearth to provide foundation for 1 1/4" black granite shelf that will go in front - pour went well and just waiting on granite guy to come and cut/polish it in place.
    Going to put granite table to the side of the oven and make a couple of movable granite-top tables for multi-purpose use in back yard (gnocchi made outdoors is fun - and with an oven to bake it ... COME ON! and as a work station for folks to build their own pizzas!).

Ok - fascia boards on - need to be stained (going black) and then roofing today and burn tonight to 500!
    Wish me luck - I will be out back with a glass of wine, podcast and flame tonight - soon ... PIZZA!

Take care everyone!
    Barry
    How's your build progressing Barry? Long time no see!
    Kind regards,
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Ope-dog
    replied
    Hey Barry, GREAT progress! I totally understand the pride/tears on the 1st firing. I think we all went though that a time or two (or 4 or 5 LOL!!) at various milestones of the build. Having done a few pizza firings with relatively great success, I can tell you that you're in for a fun (and addictive!) learning period. While the tough building may be over, I'm finding the learning is only getting more intense with all the different foods to bake and how the oven behaves. Can't wait to see more pics!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied
    Your oven looks AMAZING Barry, congratulations on a job well done. I just got on the forum to look at oven door steel gauge recommendations and thought I check up on you and you who.
    Great job , Dino

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Hey Baza, you can make a serviceable temp door using concrete board (that is what I used for my first door), and if you poke around on the forum you can find several examples of no-weld designs.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    UtahBeehiver HAHAHAHA!!! I'm dying .. "accidental calzones" - I can SO see myself making new baked creations in the process of learning! I think the right attitude to it all (as you certainly have) is going to be key!! Yes - I am anxious about the first foray into cooking being a large group - but plied with libations - they may like their accidental calzones!

Thanks for the "less is best" advice - yes - I tend to the more is good part of the spectrum! Good to have your insight (as always - no way I could have built this without learning from you, Utah!).

Ok - havin' at 'er
    Take care
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Ok - next step in the progress is that the roof is ON!
    Well, kinda.

It is screwed in and on top - but the finishing is a long way from done - going to get at that today while the rain holds off!
    MAN - those self-tapping screws do NOT like to get any other material on them ... had to predrill the screw holes as the screws picked up wood on the way through and just spun on the studs because they were clogged up with wood shaving by the time it got to the stud taking away the bite of the tip!! SO frustrating!! But - once I figured it out - it went pretty quick (and was a lesson learned for the fascia application!).

Just going to shingle at this point ... may do something nicer down the road - but I just want the damn tent OFF so moving quickly with the roofing (not my preference - maybe slate in the future?)

Poured up the hearth to provide foundation for 1 1/4" black granite shelf that will go in front - pour went well and just waiting on granite guy to come and cut/polish it in place.
    Going to put granite table to the side of the oven and make a couple of movable granite-top tables for multi-purpose use in back yard (gnocchi made outdoors is fun - and with an oven to bake it ... COME ON! and as a work station for folks to build their own pizzas!).

Ok - fascia boards on - need to be stained (going black) and then roofing today and burn tonight to 500!
    Wish me luck - I will be out back with a glass of wine, podcast and flame tonight - soon ... PIZZA!

Take care everyone!
    Barry
    Last edited by Baza; 07-28-2021, 07:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Ok - got the concrete board up! Heavy stuff - wow!
    Bit of a piece of work cutting (not too bad), holding and drilling into 18 gauge studs - I perspired. Yep.
    Mostly fit well - slight variances.
    Thin set over screw heads and joints (pics above show waterproofing - green stuff) after done.

Sourced loose vermiculite at a builder's supply an hour away at 1/2 price what I was finding everywhere else!! Woo!
    Baffled the inside around the oven so that I have about 5-6" of loose vermiculite around the oven but no wasted material in the corners (I'm Scottish ... I think I save nearly $80 by doing this and just filling up where needed!

I worried that this stuff may settle over time - yet scouring the internet - few use this as we do so it was hard to find an answer ... The prevailing wisdom seems to be ... no, it doesn't settle to the point that it would pose a problem (I really don't want to put a door in the enclosure, so going with this answer! and praying it is correct!).

Barry

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Congrats on the first fire, these ovens are a labor of love. You are quite brave to have a pizza party on the first full firing. There are a lot of nuances of a WFO from dough timing, oven temp timing, how to load, turn, dome pizzas ( I made several accidental calazones).during the learning process. But have at it. One things is "less is best" on pizza toppings, overloaded pizzas just don't cook well. Have a happy B-day.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Side note ... got a Speducci grill - this wood-fired, charcoal madness is taking me over!!
    mmmmmm!

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Curing 100 degrees per day.
    Leaving door off (because I don't have one yet, sigh, I can't weld!) ... and this is cooling the oven overnight and by next evening - still warm but cool enough to start again.

QUESTION: do I HAVE to let it cool completely before firing it up to temp again? If so - my Saturday target will likely not be met! ugh

Thanks
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Hello Forno Friends!

Been a while since being able to get on the Forum and update progress - moving along!! And wow - got my first FIRE GOING!!! WOOOOO!
    My Birthday is this Saturday and that has been a goal to shoot for as folks are coming for pool and PIZZA! So, I have to get the oven cured (low and slow, that is the tempo!) and the rain has been confounding efforts - but I should be up to 700+ by Saturday!! Fingers crossed.

Honestly - got a little emotional as the newspaper burned - first flame in the oven, after all this! wow.

Some pics attached - going to get it up to 500 today!!
    Very exciting!!
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    mongota - thank you for the insight - I couldn't find the product you referred to but my tiling friend put me in touch with a product by Flextile - WP900 - it is similar to what you explained and allows for breathing (as usual, I panicked about this and paused so called the tech department at the company and explained my project - they loved it - ha! - and said the product is good for the job and to breathe, phew!).

So, on it went. It has the consistency of the white glue we had in school! But dries green (see pic).
    I embedded mesh fabric for strength (meant for cracks - but I just wrapped the whole thing).

Thanks for the advice Mongo - you are always supportive and clear - really appreciate it!
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Originally posted by Baza View Post
    mongota - thank you!!

I understand you have experience with Red Guard … I’m wondering if I can (should) use it on my concrete block and board as a membrane before applying a scratch coat for the stone and brick veneer?

oh - and do you (or anyone) think I NEED lathing to apply stone and brick veneer… or can I just put the scratch coat over the Red Guard then apply the two finishes?

interested in thoughts!

thanks
    Barry
    Baza

I used RedGard on top of a portion of my hearth slab to isolate the board insulation from the slab. It's an area where I wanted no liquid or vapor transmission to occur.

For your housing surround, I'd recommend something like Hydroban Liquid. Hydroban Liquid is a waterproofing membrane that you can tile upon, and while it is impermeable to liquid water, it is permeable to water vapor. Meaning, it won't let liquid water IN to your enclosure during for example a heavy rain, but any moisture that happened to be absorbed in to your structure will be able to be driven OUT during a drying cycle.

There are others besides Hydroban Liquid. HL just happens to be readily available in my area. From Laticrete, a good company with a good reputation.

HL can be applied directly to your CBU base and your cement board enclosure. You can then apply the tile/stone directly to the HL membrane with a modified or highly modified thinset. For exterior locations with freeze/thaw, I'd use a highly modified thinset as it has a higher bond strength.
    Last edited by mongota; 07-21-2021, 09:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X