Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Once you clear the arch the IT will come in handy again. Just make correction over several courses.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Another course down today. I was really conscious of the droop today after all the warnings. The dome really fights you on this point. I felt it was better to put away the IT and use the level on the bricks that meet the arch.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback. I got another course down today. I can see how easy it is to get stung by the droop. I need to keep on eye on it.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    If you get the droop it is not the end of the world. It can be fixed as you go. Just is a bit of a pain to deal with. I had it on my oven and some place there are pictures of me putting a bunch of slivers in over the door to get back to round.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Just in case you haven't read similar posts, I think that this is a good thread that will help keep builders from getting it. What is the "Dreaded Droop".

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Gulf - I see it in the corners where the dome meets the arch. Great reminder and I’ll try to compensate in the next row.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Looks great. If it hasn't been mentioned earlier in the thread, now is the time to take actions to avoid the "dreaded droop".

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    All rightly, you figured it out. This is one of most difficult concepts for builders to visualize.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied
    You're on your way....lookin' good.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Today was a good day. I completed the inner arch and it appears to be lined up right. If not, it is what it is now.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Yes, I have been adjusting for slight differences in distance and angle for each course. Thanks for the reminder.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Remember that since you IT is offset at the base it does affect the true ID and OD of the oven at each course so you need to make adjustments. I think I mentioned this during the original IT construction.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    UtahBeehiver Thank you, I am WAY over thinking some of these steps.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    The IT is your guide as well as the previous brick, remember each brick is different and the angles are skewed from one side to the other. So to start, looking at the left side of the arch from outward from the center of the dome. The left side of the new arch brick will have the same angles and dimensions as the right side of the previously laid arch brick. The right side of the new brick angles and dimensions will be determined by the IT. Remember this not linear from left side to right side. The same procedure on the right side of the arch, just backwards. I attached a PFD to help you. I The only consistent dimension will be the angle from the ID of the dome to the OD of the dome which will be the half brick size, ie 9" brick will be 4.5" etc

Taper Arch Help.pdf

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    UtahBeehiver or all - I’m trying to work ahead on the tapered inner arch and I’m stuck over analyzing again. Is there a magic formula for calculating the amount of exposure of the bricks making up the inner arch towards the center of the oven? I keep thinking it should be a consistent measurement (like 2.5 or 3in) but I’m not sure.

Any feedback is appreciated

Leave a comment:

Working...
X