• CajunKnight
    replied
    Re: Les' Build

I get the no longer available also

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Try again. I just watched it. Looks HOT!!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Hopefully this works, a short video of fire. I apologize for the narration - it was late and I had a few glasses of wine
    "We're sorry. This video is no longer available"

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Love the video and the narration!!!

Brilliant!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Hopefully this works, a short video of fire. I apologize for the narration - it was late and I had a few glasses of wine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH0-eUuSNOg&feature=plcp
    Last edited by Les; 11-28-2012, 06:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    I may not even put another coat of mortar on like I was planning.
    I wouldn't bother, either. You have plenty of thermal mass and it'll just crack from thermal movement like the first layer. I think you are good to go! That thing is absolutely awesome!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Congratulations! Still looks awesome! Looks like your hard work has paid off.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

These things are amazing!!

My "cure Fire" pegged my thermometer, 950+ degrees. This morning I checked the dome temp - it was 262 degrees, no door, no insulation - awesome! The cracks seem to be minimal, so I would say that the approach of not using mortar inside the dome is a success. I may not even put another coat of mortar on like I was planning. I will fire it up again today and see if any of the cracks get bigger, if not, I'm wrapping this puppy up!

It took a while for the soot to burn off, but when it does, it is VERY cool to watch. I have some video that I will post (after I figure out Youtube). These pictures are taken the morning after - the one of the cracks shows the worse one, I don't think it's too bad.

Les...
    Last edited by Les; 07-12-2008, 05:39 PM. Reason: added morning after temp, fire for grins

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

OK - on to the next level. These are a couple of pic's of the rough cut of the flue. I tried to take one shooting up-wards but the sun would not let me do that I will see how it draws and go higher and narrower if necessary.

David - how in the hell did you cut these. This stuff is incredibly hard. I got through it, but my grinding blade took a hit. If I have to go higher, I'm taking it to my neighbor and have him rip it on his 14 inch saw.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Thanks everyone for the complements - appreciate it. I was going to fire it up full throttle after I got back from this weekend, now I'm thinking I should get the flue on in case some mods are required. I also want to see how it draws, probably should wait until it's really ready for fire. I'm not too concerned about a cure time. The mortar is pretty thin and the temps have been in the mid 90's, humidity around 8%. And we all know cracks happen.

Everybody in the US have a safe 4th - everyone else, be safe.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Wow, Les, that's so terrific!
    I don't know how you'll be able to stand lighting a fire in something so perfect and pristine ...are you going to make us all wait for it till Frances gets back??!!

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

Awesome!

Looks great!!!

I can't believe how "neat and tidy" everything looks. Mine looks like a 1st grader build it.

Dick

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Congrats, Les! Looks awesome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X